ZIDOO Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. xskip

xskip Active Member

Z9X works great with my new LG CX.

2. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

I think the picture dropping/reconnecting when playing DV content.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

If we can get a description of exactly what happens and a copy of content with which it happens, we can submit to the devs - but they need to be able to replicate the issue to figure out why it happens.

4. Sledgehamma

5. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Seriously?
    It’s well documented, anybody with a LG can not watch any 4K 23.976khz file on this box in native Dolby Vision, VS10 or LLDV...
    For you today 4 weeks after every LG oled owner cried about it is shocking...
    I have previously asked what best selling range of TV’s did Realtek / Zidoo test this device with?
    Amateur hour.

6. Markswift2003

Glad I bought Samsung.

7. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Mark. One issue, not sure if its restricted to LG, is when remuxing a full UHD DV (MEL) to MKV using MakeMKV. Resultant file will not play properly

8. Markswift2003

Can you provide a sample file - say 2 minutes and upload to Mega?

But as @mirror has stated, it's early days for DV in MKV and we need to expect teething problems. I've got dovi files in various profiles and levels and although most work fine, some are problematic with no apparent reason, even what should be standard dvhe.05.06 ones from Dolby.

9. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

The MKV DV's I've done sometimes play for a few minutes and then usually start to stutter and freeze. Often start with green screen.

I have uploaded here.

https://mega.nz/file/wEVRUI7a#7Tl07tB17LqyTMB8n9DXv7fcxFL1PQVDVMtgttJkZ7M

Yes it's early days and I'm sure things will improve.

Markswift2003 and Bill-Z9X like this.
  10. thaworn R

thaworn R Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Markswift2003 and Bill-Z9X like this.
  11. DIKKE

DIKKE Active Member

For a mediaplayer that is not older than a month, i must say the picture quality & upscaling is the best i have seen so far. Even a sleezy YT 720 download looks perfect. Samsung uhd TV, and if i press info , the Samsung is always on UHD color 4K/60hz, i noticed.
    Have the same issue with USB3 WD port HD, does not mount. but that will be solved.

12. Sledgehamma

blenky, Markswift2003 and Bill-Z9X like this.
  13. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I’m super new here. Literally just registered after finishing reading this thread just now. I’m about to pull the trigger anytime today, but I’m stuck between this and NVIDIA Shield Pro.

I came from an HTPC with madVR, so I’m strictly looking at this just to watch my 4k movies from my harddisk, don’t care about games or streaming. I made a rookie mistake by buying a cheap Android box A95X Max, it claims to support 4k HDR & Dolby Vision with Atmos passthrough. But I can’t get it to play even 1080p movies smoothly, let alone a 4k and no lossless audio passthrough. It has much higher CPU clock (1.8 GHz I think) and double the RAM at 4GB. So you can tell as a newcomer to Android boxes I’m highly sceptical with this model, which is why I’m also looking at the NVIDIA as well. Will Z9X perform as advertised?

But reading this thread gives me some confidence, while some say the NVIDIA is overkill just for movies and I could save some money (Z9X is 30% cheaper in my country).

I have some worries though, I’m using an LG OLED65C9 and members in this thread are having issues with this TV. Hopefully the devs will look into this urgently. Otherwise this is still a factor to consider the NVIDIA.

Next, majorty of my movies are still in 1080p, how’s the upscaling quality with Z9X? NVIDIA has an AI function that is being praised a lot. Coming from madVR, my expectation can be a bit high. Speaking of which, how’s the picture quality overall? I’m used to using NGU High for both luma and chroma in madVR so if this can at least get close to that I’d be very happy.

Just wondering, I have a SATA BD-ROM that connects to my laptop (via a powered SATA-USB adapter), can I connect this directly to Z9X’s SATA port and use it to watch my movies on discs? Some of my discs can’t be ripped somehow, so if I can watch them using Z9X that would be great. I know it’s not what the box is made for but just curious. One of the reasons I moved to HTPC is when the drives on my blu-ray players keep failing to read after a while, already fed up of buying new ones.

I’ve learned a lot about Z9X in this thread, thank you so much. If anyone can help me further in making the decision it would be greatly appreciated. This is Zidoo forum so the answer will likely be Z9X, but if you can be that’s already a point to Zidoo.

Remember I’m not just new to this forum, but to Android boxes as well so I may be looking at things naively. I don’t even use an Android phone. :D

14. Sledgehamma

@ammar11 :

Regarding the PQ have a look at my review of the Dune Pro 4K II (https://www.avsforum.com/threads/review-dune-pro-4k-ii.3164510/), which uses the same SoC without Dolby's VS10 engine. That said, the chroma bug is less noticeable on the Zidoo for some reason (I suspect newer SDK, but I didn't get an answer). Upscaling should be identical, though. Chroma upsampling is significantly better with VS10 processing, so is banding.
    If you want detailed PQ comparison/evaluation you have to wait a little bit as I'm currently writhing the review.
    Having said that, nothing can beat madVR anyway and I'm not able to make a comparison with madVR as I don't have a PC with a decent GPU.

ammar11 and Markswift2003 like this.
  15. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for your reply, gave me more confidence. And I’ve read your review of the Dune box, very in depth analysis. Looking forward for your review on Z9X.

Agreed, madVR is the reference standard, I’m asking too much to even mention it. And that’s just their free PC version, their dedicated video processors costs $7k and $11k a piece.

16. Miguel Ramos

Miguel Ramos Active Member

I have a question regarding about the best color space to set in the Zidoo for a Epson Projector TW9400 / 5050UB.

Which should be the setting to get the best color space from a 4K UHD source 23~30Hz:

Priority YUV444 10BIT or 12BIT
    or
    Priority YUV422 10BIT or 12BIT

I would appreciate your help.

Many thanks!

17. Markswift2003

YUV444 10BIT

Miguel Ramos likes this.
  18. Miguel Ramos

Miguel Ramos Active Member

Thanks a lot! ;)

Markswift2003 likes this.
  19. Dave5118

Dave5118 New Member

I have a LG CX and have been looking at getting a Zidoo, but my main concern is whether problematic DV films can be played using HDR10?

20. wowow

wowow New Member

I also use LG 65E7P, but there is no problem playing DV as HDR10 on Zidoo Z9X.

Dave5118 likes this.