ZIDOO Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Bertrum

Bertrum Member

Thanks Mark,
    My latest observations:

Watched 1080p movie last night, it wasn't upscaled to 3840x2160, however gui and UHD (3840x2160) material was in UHD.
    This morning on start-up only had 1080 everywhere.
    Quick menu still crashes if I try to select 3840x2160 60hz from the auto 3840x 2160 option.
    Changed HDR output in advanced settings to PQHDR and output back to UHD. Restarted and everything back to UHD, but blacks were grey and picture was 'cloudy'.
    Reset quick menu HDR setting from HDR10 back to auto and all good again, Blacks black, picture sharp and UHD output.

There are about 2-3 black screens on unit startup and same on movie start, just like a HDMI sync issue. (1-2 seconds each black screen )
    It does appear to be a sync issue to my Marantz and the Z9X is the only item that causes it.
    If the output remains at 1080 only , as previously stated, the microprocessor reset on the marantz seems to rectify it.

Music player sometimes stalls/freezers after 1st track.

Unit works ok with 2 x portable hard drives ( 1 x WD passport, 1 x Seagate Elements).
    If third powered WD My book Essential plugged in (a few days ago) only the two usb 3.0 are recognised.
    As per Marks instructions above I have now only 1 portable HD plugged in.

Is this the sort of friendly feedback helpful?

edit: I still think this is a great little box as when it is working the picture, Menus etc are great.
    Definitely worth persevering with.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

This is correct behaviour if <Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode> is set to "Switch frame rate and resolution"

Definitely not normal, although I have seen Quick Settings crash

Not sure what you mean by PQHDR but blacks being grey and a "washed out" lifeless look generally happens when viewing HDR BT.2020 in SDR BT.709

Startup is a bit random as to what it shows, so black screens on startup are expected, but I'd only expect one resync when starting content

I think you're right - the Z9S doesn't seem to like the Marantz EDID

Music player sometimes stalls/freezers after 1st track.

Ok - this is interesting - can you tell me if either the WD Passport or the Seagate drive have a UDF partition please?

Yes indeed - very helpful

3. maglione

maglione Member

Hi, I'm new to zidoo, an error that I notice is that sometimes the external subtitles (SRT), certain lines are shown an instant before the original line, repeating the line.
    Another, subs within mkv they do not remember their position on the screen.

4. Bertrum

Bertrum Member

"Ok - this is interesting - can you tell me if either the WD Passport or the Seagate drive have a UDF partition please?"

Using Windows Explorer and Disk Management the WD Elements is still NTFS, no UDF partition.
    However the Passport is unreadable in windows for some reason (Actually they are both WD disks), I now keep getting a message ‘USB device malfunctioned & Windows does not recognise it.’
    It is still accessible with the Z9X and I will today try to use the inbuilt media centre to transfer the files to the working Disk.

"Definitely not normal, although I have seen Quick Settings crash" - Sorry I did mean Quick settings.

"Not sure what you mean by PQHDR" - Here is a pic of the setting and options in the Advanced Menu screen:
    20200918_090926.jpg

Thanks.

5. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

Hi i havent jumped on to z9x yet ,but i think ive been having something similar with my z9s and new panasonic z1000 oled
    when i first got the oled 4k tv and movies were playing in 2160p fine for a few weeks

Started watching The boys S2 a few days back and noticed epis seemed blown out,and on checking they were all also showing as 1080p instead of 4k
    checking movies and other seires all started showing the same

Turns out it was an edid ? timing issue ...somewhere along the way id started turning the z9s on b4 the Tv/reciever and it was throwing the tv to show the recievers 1080p edid

once id figured it out and changed Boot order to TV ... Reciever...and then z9s , everything was back to correct 4k sizing

maybe something to check ,since i havent seen anyone suggest the bootup timing as something to check

Bertrum and 3DBuff like this.
  6. RudoSK

RudoSK New Member

Omg two weeks nothing update?

7. Markswift2003

Ok - that's great that they haven't got a UDF partition, but again very odd that Windows doesn't like the Passport..

There's no reason to change any settings in Android, since all the relevant settings are reflected in the main shell. Irrelevant settings are not necessarily reported back and may cause unwanted interactions.

8. mutt

mutt New Member

Markswift2003:
    thanks for testing WD hard drive, that is good to know I am not "special" :) I didnt return zidoo to the seller, so I really hope that this will be fixed soon...
    Now I read about beta version 6.0.35 and in the change log is "10. Fix the problem that some U disks cannot be recognized correctly." Is this related to this problem or this is something else?
    thanks

9. mutt

mutt New Member

And abou WD drives in general.
    The second UDF partition, is this some special partition or ordinary? So, if I format this drive, can I change that to one ordinary NTFS partition? I cant try it now, so just theoretically, for now, anyone knows? Maybe than zidoo can read this drive correctly...
    thanks

10. Bertrum

Bertrum Member

Thanks cucnz,
    Great suggestion. I had already changed the boot-up sequence in my Harmony 900 to TV - Receiver - z9x. Maybe I need to introduce a bit more delay in the receiver startup.
    Although things seem to be behaving normally now so will see how things go.

Mark, Regarding the Passport, I deleted a couple of leftover android files using the Z9X and was then recognised by windows again and was able able to do a scan and repair and the drive is all good.
    I now doubt this was related the Z9X.

So, picture tweaks seem to have worked. Picture is pretty awesome. Now just need to get the Music Player fine tuned....

Mutt, I would try to reformat the WD to one NTFS partition, that's how mine have always been. It's only a storage disk for your Movies etc right?

11. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Media Players don't like multiple partitions. Stick to just ONE (1) like glue.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Bertrum likes this.
  12. mutt

mutt New Member

Yes, this is only sotrage disk for my movies and music, so there is no reason to have two partitons. My plan is to try reformat WD to one NTFS partition. But I cant try that now, because my home PC is broken at this time, so I have no other space to copy the data... But I hope this will help zidoo with reading this drive.

13. Markswift2003

No that's a different issue.

A UDF partition is generally used for optical discs - in the case of the WD drives, they add a UDF partition (which the OS sees as CD-Rom) so it's read only to stick utilities in. Although I'm not certain, I think it's this that caused the initial crash back to the internal Realtek Rescue System.

14. Markswift2003

Ok - Android always dumps those little droppings on drives like that but I'm surprised they affected Windows.

Yes, agreed, these UDF partitions are useless - I've had many WD drives and never once used the software included.

You should be able to use partition utilities to remove the UDF partition and expand the NTFS partition into the unused space without data loss.

Bertrum likes this.
  15. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Minitool Partition Wizard Free

16. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

Any fw update soon?

17. Markswift2003

That'll do the job - in the olden days it was always Partition Magic ;)

(and not to forget fdisk!!)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  18. Markswift2003

Bit of a delay I'm afraid - there's been a huge fix list, some of which are really tricky and we may have thrown a spanner in the works with this USB thing... Fingers crossed for next week, but please, rest assured the devs really are working hard at this at the moment.

I know it's frustrating when public betas seem to stop for a while, but there's a lot going on in the background.

19. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Are they working on a LG fix?

20. Markswift2003

Sorry - a lot going on - remind me what the LG issue is please.

xskip likes this.