Zidoo Z9X vs Nvidia Shield

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Goliath, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Goliath

Goliath New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm debating about getting the Zidoo because everyone so far has been raving about it, but there is also a huge fanbase and positive reputation for the Nvidia Shield as one of the best streaming boxes you can buy,

I know this is the Zidoo forum, but can anyone explain why the Zidoo would be the better purchase? Or worse? Just need to know if the Nvidia does anything better or worse.

My case use : I'll basically be using an external USB drive connected to it, watching full UHD Bluray rips, streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV+ and Youtube. I know the Shield can also game, but I'm not using it for that application, purely as a streaming device and for watching Ultra HD rips (menus, everything unpacked).

Any thoughts, experiences between the two, pros/cons? Thanks for your help!

2. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

Zidoo devices excel at one thing - playing local media files. E.g., MKV files ripped from discs or ISO/BDMV files (to some extent). I am here because of the improved picture quality when playing these files in comparison to Plex client on Shield Pro 2019 & Apple TV 4K 2021.

Zidoo is not a certified Android device so using it for streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime may not work. I run those on my Shield Pro and Apple TV for that.

Goliath, DELUCAS and lawdawg like this.
  3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Goliath likes this.
  4. muha

muha Active Member

If audio passthrough is important to you than Zidoo is the answer.

5. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

If almost frame accurate playback is important then choose Zidoo, the shield is shocking - so glitchy.

6. Goliath

Goliath New Member

So for best of both worlds you recommend Shield + Zidoo?

7. Goliath

Goliath New Member

Does the Shield not offer audio pass through? That would be pretty shocking

8. Goliath

Goliath New Member

9. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

That's exactly what I do, although I can't recommend the Shield anymore because despite them saying from the beginning that they have an advert free experience that has now been abandoned with the latest iteration of Android TV with massive ads at the top!

10. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

There ( Nvidia ) well overdue a new Shield what that will bring more adds ? Or lean more towards
    a gaming Console to compete with the likes of X Box / PS5 as thats where the money is. ?

11. Goliath

Goliath New Member

I didn't know that. My brother recently bought the Shield and is raving about it. He bought it especially to stream Netflix with Atmos sound. Granted he hasn't used anything else other than the built-in apps on his Samsung QLED TV.

12. Markswift2003

Not a clue, but I wouldn't buy another one unless the get rid of the ads.

13. Markswift2003

It's undoubtedly a great piece of kit for streaming but the new ads kill it for me. To be honest you're probably better off with an Amazon Fire TV - at least they're up front about advertising rather than sneaking them in dishonestly (in my opinion ;) )

14. DELUCAS

Theres been a few complaints over it .
    That would drive me Nuts .

is there not a work around i heard to or not Mark ?

15. Markswift2003

Yes there is but it's only temporary - basically you can revert to the factory installed version of Android TV but if you leave it long enough, it updates back and as far as I know there's nothing you can do about it - haven't checked recently though I must admit - the NVidia forums are a complete arse to navigate!

16. Markswift2003

I used to use the Shield with Kodi in my cinema - one day I was doing a full on zero db demo (Deadpool - I'm sure you know the scene!) for a good friend of mine from the BBC and the Shield cacked up - very embarrassing and that was the last time I ever used a Shield for local playback.

17. DELUCAS

Ah ok
    I sold mine years ago now .

mmm i wonder if the New Zidoo chipset coming 2022 will get full Netflix + etc certification
    Now that would sell S##T loads more boxes .

18. AngryVirginian

The Shield does offer audio passthrough. Almost everything will work except that I get constant audio dropout for TrueHD 96khz & 192khz sample rates.

19. AngryVirginian

That would be a dream come through if the new Zidoo has Android certification. It would mean that they can potentially do HT4 voice search using Google services.

20. AngryVirginian

I prefer Zidoo + Apple TV 4K.