Zidoo Z9X - HDR HLG behavior

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by shaneomac, Dec 27, 2021.

1. shaneomac

shaneomac New Member

Hello and merry Christmas to all of you,
    I was trying to play LG Cymatic demo on the Zidoo Z9x, but it plays in HDR and not in HLG HDR, not really sure if this is correct behavior. This is triggerring HDR HLG on my CoreElec device with no issues.
    Also I have tried to play TravelXP HLG demo and that works just fine.

I am on this version - v6.3.66_G beta

If someone of you would have little bit of time, can you please try to reproduce it on your own setup, can you try to play both these files if it's triggering HLG or not?

Files to test:
    LG Cymatic Jazz Demo
    Travel XP HLG Demo

- both can be found on 4kmedia.org if you just search for hlg, it will be only files to be there as I can't post with links.

Many thanks in advance

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It's the files. Or at least one of them.

The Travel demo works fine and triggers HLG.

The Jazz Demo does not, and this is because there is an error in the HDR SEI message - this is the string that defines the HDR parameters. Specifically there's a fault with the RBSP (Raw Byte Sequence Payload).

The Z9X supports HLG just fine as long as the SEI message is correct.

3. shaneomac

shaneomac New Member

Many thanks Mark, I just bought my dad Z9X for Christmas and we were testing a little bit at first, the player is great, this was just one thing which we were little bit worried, but as it is with the files, I'm really glad to hear that, also we tried the playback on OSMC Vero 4K+ and this demo is displayed as just SDR, so different behaviors accross the players.

4. Markswift2003

I wouldn't worry about HLG - it was developed to allow broadcast of one video stream which is both SDR (Power Gamma) and HDR (PQ Gamma) compatible so you won't find much of it in the real world unless it's ripped directly from broadcast streams.

The likes of Netflix, Amazon etc etc use individual streams for true HDR, SDR and Dolby Vision and are much more prevalent.

5. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@Markswift2003 from what I recall, HLG was developed by the BBC and another organisation, who I forget and is taken up and broadcast by the BBC and Sky. Have events since moved this on?

6. Markswift2003

It was NHK in Japan - things haven't really changed, it's used in broadcast but it's one of those things that just slips by unnoticed.

7. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@Markswift2003 Ahh yes, NHK that was it. I sweated blood to get a TV to play HLG a couple of years back - the BBC and Sky still broadcast using it - I think I'm right though that whilst TVs now report "HDR" here, HLG is the form of signal being used, which is a version of HDR. So this is why nobody refers to it now?

8. Markswift2003

Yes, quite probably - the only way I recognise it is with the Vertex.

9. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Ahh of course the Vertex :) - I rarely touch it these days. In fact we had our grandchildren round yesterday - it was a case of Home Alone or Toy Story 1 - toy story won the vote but the only copy I have is in 3D in 1920 x 1080p. VS10-LLDV kicked in and I swear you would not be able to tell a difference between it and an Ultra HD version in 2D - I love my Zidoo, the Vertex2 and my Samsung TV

10. Markswift2003

Completely agree - but then maybe it's our eyesight :confused:

11. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Nope not I sir! I had been short-sighted since I was 9/10 but in March and May 2019 my eyes' lenses were replaced with synthetic ones and whilst I still need glasses for reading, I watch TV without glasses now - A1 distance vision now just about :)

12. Markswift2003

Wow! That's awesome!!

13. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I have been very lucky - my heart's mitral Valve was replaced robotically in August 2020 too, dodging the Covid lockdowns. Our NHS is wonderful and I shall always be grateful - other than the effects of over-indulging the Rioja last night, I truly have never felt better - touching wood as I type this lol

Markswift2003 likes this.