Zidoo Z1000 Pro – My High Definition Audio Experience (so far)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by rozel, Feb 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Thanks - yes I know all that. I need to know if these settings function in Pure Direct mode.

2. muha

muha Active Member

In Pure mode it doesn't matter if you set speakers to large or small.

3. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Ahh - right! Thank you thank you - this is what I needed to know! Yesterday I changed my fronts to Large - I always set them to Small to allow my sub to take over >8o Hz - it made no difference, which is why I was asking. UAPP has an EQ - maybe I'll play around with that instead :)

Cheers my friend, much appreciated

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Confirmed.

5. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@Nice Monkey - thanks for confirming. Last but not least though, do you know anything regarding the addition of the bluetooth module that I mentioned above?

6. Nice Monkey

Repeat: The Bluetooth module will send the DAC output wireless to Bluetooth enabled Headset/Speakers which is very popular doing so these days.

The latest generation HT AMP's is now including bi-directional Bluetooth for Stereo Audio (both Input from music players and output to Headsets/Speakers)

7. muha

muha Active Member

Sorry for jumping in, but BT is basically compressed sound so why don't use BT of device?

8. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Ohh - so sorry I missed that - that explains things and I echo the question raised by @muha just now: -

Seems a contradiction in terms, I think

9. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

10. Nice Monkey

Combines very well with good music after a nice meal doesn't it? :D

11. toshu

toshu Member

A question for @Nice Monkey and @rozel ...
    In using UAPP, how have you prevented the app from pausing music play when you shut off your monitor or TV that's connected by HDMI??
    Whenever I turn the monitor/TV off on the Z9X or my previous Android TV box, the app pausing playing music, regardless of the source (Tidal, Library, etc)
    On my Z9X I have gone into app settings and turned off Battery Optimization as suggested by the UAPP's developer but that hasn't solved the problem!!

12. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@toshu Yes I noted your issue in another thread recently. I always have my TV on though so I can control the Zidoo and in particular UAPP. So I haven't witnessed this behaviour. When I next play some music again, probably Sunday now, I'll then start playing a track and then turn off my TV and see what happens.

May I ask why do you want to turn off your TV?

13. toshu

toshu Member

I would like to be able to turn my monitor or TV off to conserve power.
    One application that I have been testing is in my Camper where I may be running off the batteries, so its important.
    At home, there are times where I prefer to have the TV off, when I am listening to music in the evening....I dont watch much TV so its glare distracts me

14. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I've undertaken a brief test, with the time I had. I didn't turn off the TV fully, but placed it in standby mode. The track continued playing, no problem. I rarely turn off my TV completely but if it were to stop, I figure it would in standby. One thing though, I can't see it being an issue with the Zidoo but rather with UAPP. Have a look at its settings, there are rather a lot and maybe one might prevent your music pausing/stopping. Hope this helps

15. toshu

toshu Member

The developer of UAPP has pointed at Zidoo, although he suggested looking at battery optimization in its Android Settings, which I did change. I have also changed various Pause and Stop settings in UAPP with no luck.
    When you get a chance, can you try turning the TV completely OFF? I dont beleive I can test Standy in either my PC monitor, nor my 2 TVs.
    Thanks

16. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Hi @toshu - I had a good look today on "how to turn off" my TV. The reason I said I rarely turn it off is because I'd forgotten that other than pulling the plug, which is a no no for me as it's buried beneath a maize of cables in a miriad of plug strips, there's simply no way to do it. My TV takes quite a bit of power when it's on (435-490 watts typically) but takes hardly any when it is off (<0.5 watt).

I suggest you see what happens, placing your TV/Monitor in standby mode, if you haven't already tried.

Edit: If it is crucial then try an Alexa compatible power plug connected to an Alexa - maybe that would reduce your overal power consumption

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    toshu likes this.
  17. toshu

toshu Member

we might be talking about the same...or different things. When I say "turn the TV off " its using the power on/off button on the remote. This may be the "standby" that you are referring to. I do not unplug the TV.
    On my desk monitor, that I use, for day to day testing of the Z9X, I turn the power button off on the bottom of the monitor.

I did check and both your box and mine use Android 9 as the base OS.

18. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Yes when pressing the Red Button on the TV's remote (and indeed the one on the Zidoo Remote, depending on how you configure it - I am using the v8 remote) the TV goes into standby and uses <0.5 watts. When playing tracks on my Zidoo, and do not forget I'm using UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) installed on it, they continue to play whilst the TV is in standby.

19. muha

muha Active Member

I experience same problem with my Z10 Pro -> Denon AVR X1200W -> Samsung TV. I tried saving TVs EDID on @Markswift2003 recommendation, only thing that is different is that Z10 Pro no longer switches resolution (something I notice). I even turned off HDMI-CEC, ARC and HDCP on all 3 devices. Also tried with toslink but to no avail. Now I use EMBY server to stream to Denon flac files <gapless> and when I have friends over and want to play 5.1 files I live TV on.

20. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

The "Journey" continues.......................................................

A few weeks ago I thought I'd follow up a really helpful post on another forum and consider "cleaning up" of the USB signal from the Zidoo into the external DAC. Rightly or perhaps a little hasty, without the proper research, and @Nice Monkey, @muha etal will tell me one way or the other, I went ahead and bought an ISO REGEN to see if the so called jitter and other artifacts could be either eradicated or reduced. Not because of major issues, but having bought a new pair of Headphones I could hear (and I'll call it "noise" because I don't know what to call it) something sounding like sibilance, I thought nothing ventured, nothing gained. Seems the Audio fraternity are completely out on such a device - some arguing that because they cannot measure the gains, then what's the point with the other side saying they can definately hear improvements. Uptone Audio were very helpful and I didn't need much persuasion in buying one, especially since the current model offers "Isolation". At the time of purchase I didn't really think about the PSU for it - it came bundled with an elcheapo switching unit.

So I rigged up the device, which also came with a USPCB adapter. It's described as carefully designed with a 4-layer circuit board, taking into account even the mass of the connectors and the widths and thicknesses of the traces, this new adapter perfectly preserves signal integrity and impedance match. I switched on but I was extremely disappointed because all I could get was either a 44.1Khz or 48Khz signal coming through (the Android default). The answer was easy but I had to go on the forum mentioned above to get the answer. They said to be careful with the switch-on order - the DAC - the ISO REGEN then the USB source (The Zidoo). Then I could hear lovely sounds - nothing dramatic but that so called sibilance, which I'm told was Jitter, on certain tracks, had disappeared! Stero separation was better which was nicer sounding and allowed me to hear individual instruments better.

So praising the guys making the recommendation it soon became clear that I should improve the bottom end a bit more and treat myself to a Linear PSU to go with the ISO REGEN. Of course Uptone initially suggested an expensive one an UltraCap LPS-1.2 but that retailed at over £400! and compared with the cost of the DAC, I felt this was OTP. So I bought an Audiphonics PSU (a French company) significantly cheaper. I've not had much time to play with the combined rig but I listened to a number of tracks yesterday via my speakers and was really knocked over by the tightness and detail of the Bass frequencies - I have to say I've never heard my music play so nicely through my cherished BC1's before. Even my better half commented that the quality was impressive.

So I'm very happy and before someone asks, no I'm not going to invest in anything more as I think I am maxing out my overall system now.

I would welcome comments, good, bad or indifferent, on these latest improvements.

muha likes this.