Zidoo X20 PRO...my humble opinion (FW2.2.85)

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X20 PRO' started by OlivierQC, May 26, 2018.

1. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  2. Random_Vibration

Random_Vibration Active Member

This box isn't for you. It doesn't have to appeal to everyone. If it makes no sense to you, don't worry about it and be happy with your X8.

There is nothing this box does or will do in the future that requires HDMI 2.1 so I don't understand why not having HDMI 2.1 bothers you. It will function perfectly fine with future HDMI 2.1 devices. HDMI 2.1 brings eARC which is a non-issue with a player, but important for TVs and recievers. It also brings 8K video resolution which this unit does not support anyway and there is no content source now nor in the near future. The 2.1 spec also supports higher bandwidth which is pointless when it can't handle anything that needs that higher bandwidth. New for 2018 Blu-ray players also lack HDMI 2.1 because they will do nothing in the future that will require anything higher that 2.0b. What were you expecting to do with HDMI 2.1 and this player? Bragging rights? Specification box checking?

Dolby Vision isn't coming to these types of boxes. I don't think Zidoo nor Dolby have the will to certify this as a DV device when it has no built in services that have DV. If Netflix won't certify a Zidoo, it's never going to happen with Dolby Vision. Dolby wants to control all aspects of the player experience when using DV. Zidoo makes a box that puts users in control of how you play your content. They are at opposite intentions and would never agree. Apple TV yes, maybe a Roku or Nvidia shield because they exercise some control of content distribution. Zidoo doesn't.

The point of this device over a X9s or X8 is audio performance. Balanced stereo outputs, a Sabre DAC, dual HDMI outs. This product wasn't made for you if you don't understand why it exists. Why react to it's existance?

toshu likes this.
  3. Gianmaria

Gianmaria Member

I dont care hdmi 2.1. I was telling that since hdmi 2.0 is already so implemented and since hdmi 2.1 Will come early, why do we need 2 hdmi inputs in 2018? I have a soundbar hdmi 2.0 dolby vision capable, an oled hdmi 2.0 dolby vision capable....why do you Think that 2 hdmi in for old avr/tv is so needed in june 2018?
    This box was fine in 2016....not now. It has nothing that justifies its price. It is born already old...but expensive.

4. zarathoestra

zarathoestra Active Member

Well i'm one of these old guys that makes use of the 2-way hdmi my soundbar is 4k capable but not hdr or vision so it's a nice solution. I hear a lot of frustration in your comparison of x8 and x20/pro is the same as the comparison of an Peugeot 208 and Porsche 911. If you can't buy it so what ? but let everyone in his dignity . There's a market for everyone . grtz

5. Gianmaria

Gianmaria Member

Ahahahahh
    I can buy many things don't be worried for me. There isn't frustration only a logic consideration. Most most probably the x20pro Will have the same video quality of the X8, X9s, X10. I had the X10 and i refunded it cause the service of torrenting doesn't work properly with these Android boxes and if you read in the x9s section, you will find other people to tell the same. An internal hdd was for me a great idea if....I can save files directly from a private tracker (for example). But it doesn't work so i need to hold My pc. Porsche and peugeut 208 (for the record; i have 2 cars and 1 is a Lotus)...have you ever driven any? It seems not. The difference in price between X8 and X20pro is the same but about real value.....The X8 is the peugeot 208 standard and the X20pro is the GTi (most probably the difference is even less). Keep your childish frustrations for you, (man).

6. zarathoestra

zarathoestra Active Member

If that doesn't sound like frustration :p Keep on bragging ;)

7. Random_Vibration

First of all, the X20 doesn't have two inputs as you keep saying. It has two outputs and one input.

To address your question: Because there are plenty of people who still haven't or will not update thier AVRs yet. You are fixated on your needs/situation and completely tone deaf to anyone else's. You may have a cheap soundbar that serves your needs but others may have spent upwards 5,000 USD on a AVR or Pre/Pro and they aren't going to 'upgrade' to a cheap soundbar and gut thier surround speakers just to use one cable. We all make choices appropriate to our wants and needs and they are often different.

I have an AVR that will handle 2.0b. I also have one that will only handle 2.0a. The third (soundbase) has only 2.0. The forth only has 1.4. I would use one HDMI cable and put in the newest set up. Not everyone has the same options as me. I'm ok with that. Not everyone wants to use a soundbar or soundbase. I'm ok with that too. Not everyone wants to upgrade a perfectly functional AVR or soundbar because of a spec change. I'm good with that.

Again if you can't use balanced outputs, don't listen to Hi-res files, and don't know or care about the Sabre DAC, it isn't for you anyway. Why sweat it in the first place. This wasn't made to replace the X10, X9s, or X8. It was meant to offer Hi-Res audio fans a combined video and audio solution. Different targeted customers. Clearly, it's price and feature set make it not an attractive offering at the broad end of the Android TV box market. It wasn't ever intended to be.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    DELUCAS likes this.
  8. OlivierQC

As for the X10 Vs X9s or X8, each devices has different targeted customers.

There is no reason to want to compare them, it is just my opinion.

Random_Vibration and DELUCAS like this.
  9. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

We all have diff set ups to everyone else and diff requirements in what suits are equipment best .
    Its all about choice in life .

Some will go the cheaper option some the more expensive option .
    I may have an old but excellent Display Monitor that still is going the X20 twin hdmi outputs gives me an option to connect directly to my Monitor by passing my Receiver as such .
    So can poss by pass handshake issues etc if i so wish .

Everyone has diff requirements .

At least Zidoo gives a choice High end or low end Devices .
    Thats good in my books . :)

Random_Vibration likes this.
  10. Gianmaria

Gianmaria Member

Many people are disoriented about what to buy and often happens that we believe that if something is more expensive that is better. Most likely people who buy an android box, are interested first of all to the video features and it seems that all the zidoo's production line gives the same quality in this specific field. The audio Dac is certainly a plus and the double hdmi is appreciable but so much to justify the big difference of price? The X10 i bought was at 190 euro compared the 80 euro for the X8. I Think that 500/600 euro for the X20pro aren't justified. This is My point.

11. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

big thing with Dolby Vision ,is SO FEW devices can actually output it yet

even Most 4k Bluray players still do not OR can not do Dolby Vision
    Sonys Dolby Vision x800 4k Bluray player still cant do Dolby Vision....near 1 - 2 yrs after it was released,and the 2018 x700 replacement model ,still hasnt got a DV patch
    Sony released a DB update which was removed almost immediately due to sound issues for the x800

Very few ,if any GPUs seem to do Dolby vision either from which i was reading yesterday..thou nvidia has recently patched in DV for gaming ,but only one current game uses it

Dolby is also going to be adding patches very soon to stop higher end playback EXCEPT for devices with hardware support,according to a news article yesterday

EDIT
    go figure
    Sony released DV update for the x700 Bluray today
    it has to be turned on in options once updated,and seems to kill 3d from commnts so far regarding it

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  12. Random_Vibration

We've heard your same point over, and over, and over again. If you think it's not justified, clearly no one here is trying to force you to buy it nor change your mind. Your point has been expressed.

13. Gianmaria

Gianmaria Member

You see, i told 1 time My point without offend anyboby giving personal but logical motivation. Every time somebody replied telling things i didn't write or attacking me without another logical reasoning, i explained better myself. But if you care to pontificate....well, in that case, i can reply you over and over and over and over.

14. Random_Vibration

Thanks for letting us know. We were all wondering about your personal choices.

15. Valera

Valera Member

Hello,

The exact dac model is not specified in the product spec. Can somebody shed some light?

Thanks

16. OlivierQC

Hi all,

New FW avalaible

it's an update for HT 2.0 rather than a real update, it's better than nothing... I'll check audio drop issue tonight.

Thanks to Delucas for the information

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    see you

17. OlivierQC

i asked to zidoo Team the last week but i did not have any answer...

18. Valera

Valera Member

Thank you. Looks like the answer is under the top panel.

19. OlivierQC

Hi all,

Zidoo X20/PRO FW 1.2.18 problem.

a)
    there are audio drops issue with several movies with Zidoo devices (test on X10 and X20 PRO), this movie is just an example (around the 43 th second)

b)
    The transition between the Pixar animation and the movies is not smooth, there is a cut of sound and video (around the 14 th seconds) seamless branching problem ?

Sorry for the poor image quality

For your information : there is not these problems with other multimedia box and these problems do not come from the video.

See you

20. OlivierQC

Hi all

It seems there is still a problem with the banding and the Zidoo devices with the RTD 1296.

--------------

If I use the same settings as with my X9S/10, I have a severe banding with UHD HDR movies...it is hopeless.

--------------

I have done several tests with different settings and.... i found this

--------------

As report by wesk05, the AUTO mode of the HDMI range does not work properly and according to the specification of our TV, you must choose the limited or the FULL mode, in my case my TV is compatible 16-235 (limited), and with my X10 and this settings, i do not have any problems with HD movies and UHD HDR movies, the PQ is great, nothing to report in my case.

But that's not the case with the flagship X20 PRO...

I have to select FULL mode to avoid banding with UHD HDR movies, of course when I go back to 1080p (ziui interface / HD movies) I have to change the HDMI range for LIMITED otherwise the picture is too dark and it's normal my TV is not compatible with the FULL.

I check / compare the PQ between my X10 / X20 PRO and the Egreat A11 with the same movies (The martian UHD HDR "the sky of the planet march at the beginning of the movie" and Gods of Egypt UHD HDR "the sky when they are in the desert") when i use the FULL mode with my X20 PRO, i get the same picture quality as with my X10 or Egreat A11 with the 16-235 ...the banding disappears and the color gradient are smooth with UHD HDR movies.

--------------

For information :
    It seems that there are banding problems with the new Dune series PRO (RTD 1295 revision B), the problem is maybe Realtek, but meanwhile we have a Zidoo X20 PRO unusable with UHD HDR movies, the banding is severe and ruins the pleasure of viewing the film.

I do not know if Zidoo will find a short-term solution

--------------

See you

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018