1. Hi,Guest,H6 PRO ALL-ROUND MONSTER-Lucky Draw Activity-10 Free Giveaway And More Learn more
    Dismiss Notice

Zidoo X10...Review (FW1.4.6 / Updated to 1.4.12)

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X10' started by OlivierQC, Jul 31, 2017.

1. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Member Beta test group

Hello all,

I ordered an Zidoo X10 at futeko.com...why ? ...the price at futeko.com is more interesting than buying it at amazon.ca, They also have excellent support on their forum, so I said, why not.

Futeko.com send my zidoo X10 by UPS standard (free delivery).

(do as you wish, but I invite you to take a tour on their site before any purchase, this is what I will do now)

i just received the X10 ( My wife just telephoned me), I had a tracking number which allowed me to track the package, there was no problem, I am really happy with their delivery system.

------------------------

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT
    Futeko.com only sells the package with the new remote control.​

------------------------​

NOTE

May be that some people will say that this review is not necessary, i do not have the same opinion.

Each type of device corresponds to a user profile, those who do not have Wired Gigabit Ethernet and who do not want to have external hdd on their audio-video bench/furniture could be interrested by the X10 which allows to have a storage up to 10 To in a small cube of 20cm by 20cm.​

FaceBook

Firmware

Specifications

CPU – Realtek RTD1295 ARM Cortex-A53 Quad-Core
    GPU – ARM T820 MP3(3-core)
    OS – Android 6.0 + OpenWRT(NAS) dual system run simultaneously
    Memory – 2GB DDR3
    Internal Storage – 16GB eMMC + 3.5″ SATA HDD bay
    Wifi Connectivity – IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n, 802.11AC,4.900 GHz ~ 5.845 GHz (5.0 GHz ISM Band) RTK8821
    dual-band WIFI
    Ethernet – RJ-45 Ethernet Jack (10/100/1000Mbps)
    Bluetooth – BT4.0
    HDMI Out – HDMI2.0a output, Support 4K@60fps Support HD Audio(7.1CH), support 23.976 and 29.94
    HDMI In – HDMI2.0 input, support PIP, HDMI IN stream recode and stream output via UDP etc…
    Video decode – HDR, 10-bit HEVC/H.265 up to 4K @ 60fps, VP9 up to 4K @ 60 fps, H.264 up to 4K @ 24 fps, automatic frame rate switching
    Audio decode – Support HD audio(7.1ch) decode and passthrough Redesigned Native player,Blu-ray better compatibility,Powerful subtitles ,Support MVC ISO,MVC MKV. Built in ZDMC(Base on Kodi)
    USB – 1x USB3.0, 2x USB2.0
    Power – 12V/3A
    Misc – IR receiver, Digital LED display, Power button, Built-in fan
    Other interfaces – TF card reader SD card interface (Support 1GB/2GB/4GB/8GB/16GB/32GB), IR receiver, Composite video and audio port (Cvbs output), S/SPDIF (2CH, 5.1CH), SATA3.0, Restore hole

My equipment

Sony 65X930C (HDMI enhanced)
    Onkyo 656 (4k/hdcp 2.2/HDR)
    Cable Monster Ultra HD Platinum
    Focal dome 5.1.2 ou 7.2 according to the tests
    NAS personal cloud / SMB
    HDD WD Red 3TO
    Wired Gigabit Ethernet

I also have the following devices

Zidoo X8/9S
    Egreat A5/10
    Himedia Q10 pro
    Nvidia Shield TV

For your information :

I do not play games
    I do not tests for performance
    I use the X10 to watch my movies, nothing else

I am not an audio-visual expert and I write what I see on the screen

Here is a presentation of

[​IMG]

unboxing

NOTE
    Thanks to futeko.com for thinking about adding a plug adapter, i forgot to ask during the order.​

We have a box of white color (new packaging), it is very rigid and nothing moves inside the box

[​IMG]

the multimedia player is well protected, very well protected...i like that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Usual cables are there

[​IMG]

The casing

NOTE The color of the case is darker in real​

It is a small box ( 197mmx197mmx65mm), it allows to place it on any model of furniture/bench TV, the grey aluminum casing has a good finishes, the manufacturing quality is excellent.

[​IMG]

The X10 has a 3.5’’ HDD Tray to install an external HDD, This allows to have a big collection of movies in a box of this small size…

The Zidoo X10 recognizes the hard drive NTFS/GPT format and up 10To

[​IMG]

We have the same input/output as on the x9s

[​IMG]

Remote control (new Model)

the remote is good qualities, the keys are backlit

[​IMG]

The keys are rubber and all functions are available on the front panel... And miracle... there is a STOP button

[​IMG]

Display VFD

This is the new VFD only available on the X10, It displays several information like : play, pause. if the output signal is 4k or 1080p, HDR, if there is an internal hdd, etc....

[​IMG]

The luminosity is adjustable on 2 levels, you can also turn it off.

3.5’’ HDD Tray

The installation of the hard disk is easy, and takes only 3 seconds, you just need to have a HDD in NTSF / GPT.

It is immediately recognized on the VFD and the Home Theater app.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OPENWRT

To transfer files from your PC to the X10

In the network section of your PC, you will see an openwrt icon

[​IMG]

Open it and copy/paste the file you wish to have on your Zidoo X10

[​IMG]

At the end of the transfer, the file will be available on your X10

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update

We start by updating the X10 with the latest available FW.

Download the Fw and copy the .rar file to a usb key and insert it on a usb 2 port.

download FW v1.4.6

Click on the tile "ABOUT" and clic on Update

[​IMG]

Choose "local update" and click on it, then select your usb key and double click on the .rar, the update begins

The box will do the update and restart

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  2. OlivierQC

Tests

NOTE

My receiver Onkyo 656 takes a few seconds to switch to the right frequency, It's almost instantaneous when I plug the Zidoo directly to my Sony TV.​

My first impression

The HDMI 2.0 standard is respected

The problem of cut of sound or image with some demos UHD are resolved

The box switches with the correct parameters according to the video format

The blu ray menu works properly (ISO 2D and 3D)

Their home theater work properly, i like their filter system, we find the movie we want very quickly, using different filters like year, genre, etc ...

BUT
    the movie group (collection) option is missing, and it has trouble to find the good poster of tv series

-----------------------------

DEMO UHD / UHD HDR

There are no problems, the UHD / HDR demos work correctly, the device switches to the right frequency and to the right color space if the video is below 30 hz or above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Movie UHD HDR (BDMV / Remux)

Nothing to report, as for the demo all UHD HDR BDMV and Remux movies work properly.

[​IMG]

Bluray Region code

I checked if the bluray Region option works and it works properly.

Atmos and DTS X

I checked the Atmos and DTS X soundtrack with UHD movies (BDMV) / UHD Demo and everything works fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jellyfish Bitrate Test Files

the jellyfish-400-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv play without any problems (no freeze, no stuttering, etc..)

[​IMG]

VP9 Videos

There are always stuttering with my demo Astra UHD 60Hz

[​IMG]

ISO DVD

I just checked an iso dvd, and everything looks to work properly, the dvd menu and the video

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some additional tests

I use some test available on the forum Kodi (Thanks to the forum Kodi), and all works correctly, nothing to report

[​IMG]

ISO 2D/3D

There is perfect support for ISO 2D / 3D, and the blu ray menu works properly.

The Realtek chipset allows a smooth playback of ISO 2D / 3D films, which is not the case for some competitor.

Temperature of Zidoo with and without the fan

Here is a test (just for fun), i have a Fluke 561 Thermometer to do the test

[​IMG]

---------

The room temperature during the test is 27 degrees

The running time of the film is two hour and it is on the internal hard drive

---------

Temperature of the box on OFF

[​IMG]

---------

Before the movie WITH FAN
    [​IMG]

After the movie WITH FAN
    [​IMG]

Before the movie WITHOUT FAN
    [​IMG]

After the movie WITHOUT FAN
    [​IMG]

In addition to the Fluke 561, I checked on several sides of the box with my hand and the box is
    lukewarm without the fan after to watched the movie (2 hours)

I thought the temperature would be higher,

Subtitle

There is a problem with some subtitle, this problem was partially resolved by zidoo, but as you can see the bug is still present

For my part I select and download other subtitle, this fixes the problem or I select another one available with the video, as we can see in my video

A video of the site Zidoo which shows the possibility of settings of the subtitles.

Boot Up

The X10 boots up to main user interface in about 29/30 seconds, after pressing power button on remote.

Latest KODI Leia and Krypton 17.3 with ZidooPlayer

If you want to use the latest version of Kodi with the advantages of the external zidoo player with your zidoo x10, follow the link below, cobric did a great job

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/latest-kodi-leia-and-krypton-17-3-with-zidooplayer.5511/

Thank you very much cobric :)

Conclusion

You do not have NAS, no wired gigabit network at home, and You need a discreet device in your living room with a large storage space to keep your movies...the Zidoo X10 offers all this.

For comparing some devices between them, the Zidoo offers the best picture quality without having to start to modify settings.

It offers one of the best image(out of box) in this category of device, compatible with an internal HDD up to 10To in a cube of 20cmx20cm, with a small price (in this category)...no longer search, you found it...

I use the X10 to play my movies and nothing else.

The X10 works properly with all my movie collection (mkv, ISO, bdmv) in HD and UHD

[​IMG]

OlivierQC

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  3. OlivierQC

My settings

to be continued

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  4. npoupine

npoupine New Member

Congratulation for your fantasric review!
    I try to share the qualities of this device on a French website, but I must say that I would be hard to be as complete and as accurate as you! Bravo anyway. ;)

5. OlivierQC

6. OlivierQC

Hello all,

I do not have DVD movie ISO in my collection, but I use 2 samples for tests.

I checked the ISO support with the following apps :

ZDMC 17.3 Beta
    Kodi 17.3 (Cobric's Version)
    Home theater app
    Explorer

For information:
    The apps use the Zidoo player which explains why ISO DVDs work properly with them

I do some testing and everything seems to work properly, except the Forward & Backward function for chapters

This is not a big deal, you can return to the DVD menu and use Scenes Selection.

See you

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  7. Libelle283

Libelle283 New Member

@OlivierQC It seems very similar to the Zappiti. Before I decide which to buy -
    I have a lot of videos with covers that are not on TMDb.
    The Zappiti Media Center allows me to easily add these.
    Can this also be done on Home Theater?

8. OlivierQC

Hello all,

A little review of Home Theater

-------------------------

This is only my opinion of zidoo user with Home theater.

Home theater app has a good base but many negative point makes it not attractive

Rename all your movies with the original name available on the site imdb, otherwise he will not find them.

Example :
    for a few dollars more (1965) / Per qualche dollaro in più (1965)

It does not find the poster of TV serie, f
    orget Home Theater app if you have TV Serie,

No picture because there is nothing to see

No option to group movies, the collections are mixed, the competition offers the option for a long time

[​IMG]

He does not choose the right poster when there are 2 movies with the same title, you have to look for the imdb id and enter it manually to have the correct poster despite that the year of the film is present in parentheses.

[​IMG]

The posters are cut up and down

[​IMG]

The title is doubled, it is useless and there is no option to remove it

[​IMG]

(I do not have the movies present in the pictures, it is a montage to explain the problems with Home Theater app)

Conclusion :

It gives me the impression that the zidoo team never look for improved their apps,

I can say that the competition has a head start.

I can see on several forums that people do not use all Kodi / zdmc, it would be nice that the zidoo team offers a good alternative to ZDMC /Kodi.

The zidoo team does not communicate much on the forum, but I know that they are listening and working hard, we hope that they will be able to propose a new version of their home theater to give an alternative to zdmc,
    which is more complex has used

See you

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  9. OlivierQC

Hello Libelle283,

I do not know at all, give me a movie title that is not in imdb and I will do a test

see you

10. Libelle283

Libelle283 New Member

@OlivierQC some examples
    "The Glory of Spain" (dvd available from Amazon)
    "On the Backroads in Tuscany"
    "Oscar Peterson Montreux Jazz Festival"
    "Sinatra Vegas"

11. OlivierQC

hello Libelle283,

it does not find it.

I'm not surprised, it works with imdb if I'm not mistaken, and we can not import the poster of our choice.

see you

12. OlivierQC

hello all,

I just installed the latest FW 1.4.12, i made a hard reset to have a clean box with the following procedure :

http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=2217.0

--------------------

With the previous fw 1.4.6 we were limited to 48 khz with HD audio files, i just try 3 audio files in 96khz / 196khz with the new FW , and everything seems to work fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

see you

13. boblo

boblo Member

With new firmware, now is the box able to play AIFF/ALAC/DSF/DSD/SACD hi-res audio files without using an external USB DAC (with the RTD1295 internal DAC)? Does this mean that the 48kHz barrier imposed by Android 6 (Nougat does not have this issue) is now beated?

Thanks.

14. OlivierQC

Hello Boblo,

Good question,

I'm not an expert, but I guess yes, my receiver displays the frequency that corresponds to the audio hd samples, this was not the case before.

If this can be confirmed by other persons

---------------------------

I just try the following audio files available here :

http://samplephotovideo.com/2015/12/sample-dsd-audio-file/

[​IMG]

And the DSD 64 audio files does not work , i do not know if it's normal or not

This causes problems that requires rebooting the box with the ON/OFF button, as on my video or an error message that indicates the stop of the application I use to play the audio file
    and I also have to reboot the box with the back button ON/OFF.

see you

boblo likes this.
  15. ppccrazu

ppccrazu New Member

Could you please help me test BluRay 4K Full Rip (BDMV) by Full Menu Navigation. It can show menu navigation or not? I hope if it fix and can be use this fucking same as Egreat A5/A10. It perfect for everybody. Regard

16. OlivierQC

hello ppccrazu,

I do not know if Zidoo has planned something for the future, you should ask to the Zidoo Team.

A small reminder for those who discover the Zidoo devices and the support of the BD Menu.

Zidoo X8/9S/10 :

Home theater app supports HD BD menu
    Home theater app does not support UHD BD menu
    ZDMC does not support HD BD menu
    ZDMC does not support UHD BD menu

see you