Zidoo UHD2000 Fuse

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1296)' started by WhiteShmoo, Mar 16, 2020.

1. WhiteShmoo

WhiteShmoo New Member

I've buyed an UHD2000 player last november and today it doesn't start on. By the smell coming from the device, it must have blown a fuse. I want to know if there are any internal electrical fuse to change.

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Fuses don't blow just like that and should have a (nasty) cause. They neither smell as they are covered in glass. I suggest to go for a warranty procedure without opening the box.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    WhiteShmoo likes this.
  3. WhiteShmoo

WhiteShmoo New Member

Yesterday, I was using the device and after a power failure in my house he did not turn on again.
    All my home theater devices are protected by an energy conditioner.
    Everything is ok and working (Sony 85” 4k TV, receiver, cable decoder) except the UHD2000.
    I do not know what happened.
    Opening the HD tray, it smells like a blown electrical fuse or something else.

4. Nice Monkey

Very few home theater devices with a Linear PSU these days. UHD2000 is an exception there.
    Repeat try a warranty claim first. Looks/smells like a PSU component has blown, definitely not just a fuse. Capacitors typically do smell a lot when blown.

5. Thanos

Thanos Member

As my colleague writes Mr. "Nice_Monkey", if the device stinks so replacement fuses is completely useless and has no meaning.
    Because if the device smells of smoke, so probably there has been damage to the internal electronics, I guess the power bridge must have been damaged = necessary exchange CMS.

PS: As mentioned above, if you have a warranty letter, use it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  6. WhiteShmoo

WhiteShmoo New Member

The biggest problem is there I live in Brazil. Payed U$860 plus U$500 in import taxes. Yes, taxes is so high here!

Buyed directly from Zidoo Shop. I send it an e-mail with photos to the salesperson in Zidoo that sell it to me.

She tell me that I can open the device and change the fuse and see what happens.

I just change the fuse and it's ok. See what happens next days.

IMG_3587.JPG IMG_3589.JPG

gymnos likes this.
  7. Nice Monkey

You need to replace that transformer asap. It clearly overheated and is potentially dangerous for even starting a fire.
    Ask for one from Zidoo as a replacement. In fact I would ask for a replacement PSU in its total.
    You are lucky the main circuitry survived apparently.

I wonder what caused this as power surges should not burn out the transformer of the PSU.
    Maybe the auto voltage switching had some influence here ? 220V+ applied to the 110V windings during a short interval when ramping up slowly?
    Regularly visit Bolivia and there it is not so uncommon to measure voltages below 180V on a 220V grid. I hope you are using a real voltage stabilizer not just a filter with it. Switched mode PSU's deal with that a lot easier (100V- 240V range) these days.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    gymnos and WhiteShmoo like this.
  8. WhiteShmoo

WhiteShmoo New Member

NiceMonkey, I use a voltage conditioner (stabilizer) on all my home-theater equipment.

I'll send an e-mail to Doris at Zidoo asking for a replacement.

Many thanks.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  9. Nice Monkey

Is that an electronic stabilizer or a servo based stabilizer using a variac (heavy and you will hear the electro motor adjusting) ?

I am wondering if the later goes well after a power cut together with auto-voltage switching as implemented as these take various seconds to ramp up with a voltage overshoot initially when power comes back?

Curiously just the transformer (almost) burned. I would be tempted to change the auto-voltage switching to fixed wired 220V for my unit just to eliminate that potential root-cause (never saw such an implementation). Being Zidoo I would for sure want to get that PSU back for diagnosis.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020