ZIDOO UHD 3000

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Thanks for the quick reply Nice Monkey. Very interesting comments to be sure!! I'm sitting on the fence at the moment. From what I can see online, Dune will be releasing a new media box with very similar build characteristics and functionality to the UHD 3000
    and there are rumours of Zapitti developing something new as well. I do like the look of the UHD3000 and the price to value ratio, but I'm a bit reluctant to invest in a product that looks like its been rushed to market. I believe beta testing etc should be done, completed
    and problems (hardware or software) ironed out before the product is released to consumers.

Anthemman likes this.
  2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I am afraid nobody is doing that anymore not even the big brands (time to market).

Regarding Dune HD Max Vision 4K had a peak at that one too: Reading the specifications I see no mentioning of an USB interface or XMOS anywhere. So I feel this one is using IIS for interfacing making it a similar design to Zidoo X20 Pro (without native DSD support). No comparison with UHD3000 if I am right. AKM versus SABRE not being a big deal as both are very good.

Dune uses its own OS for its internal media players next to Android TV9 for (streaming) APP's installed by customers. There are for sure serious advantages to that approach once that OS is full functional and proven stable.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    gymnos likes this.
  3. Nomad

Nomad New Member

I find your first comment hard to believe, consumers are not beta testers who should purchase incomplete untried products to await firmware fixes to problems. If I purchased a high end TV, HiFi component or car I'd expect it to be fully functional and 100% out of the box so to speak.
    Companies reputations, market share and customer satisfaction are based on such things. The rush to market is all good and well, but when consumers are hesitant to purchase due to product glitches and products start to be returned as faulty/not functional then there's something wrong,
    hope you are listening Zidoo and others .

To be sure USB interface and XMOS are nice additions to core functionality, but it's the core functionality that matters the most, and ones that work. Not all products are created equally and all have different strengths and weakness, it all depends on what you are looking for in a product.
    As I said I'm undecided at the moment and in no great rush to purchase either the Zidoo / Dune or another media box, but I will eventually purchase something.

How are you getting on with your report on the UHD3000?? I'm looking forward to it, I'm sure it will make interesting reading.

4. Nice Monkey

Have a lot of experiences with DAC's and learned that the design, circuitry and component quality used around the central DAC chip are absolutely crucial for the final result. Just look at Naim as they are still using an old Burr Brown DAC (since many years part of TI who only keeps selling them) for even their latest streamers. Still sounding slightly better than the most recent SABRE DAC used with UHD3000 all by design around that chip. ;)

My UHD3000 review is growing but I am actually waiting for a bugfix FW for UHD3000 to come out first.
    The MQA chapter was released yesterday as a teaser. :)

@mirror
    Got a very nice surprise today. As I did not play a live album during all my testing just discovered that MP6 actually is playing gapless. Both with HDMI and DAC output this works just fine now. At least with a favorite FLAC album played by me. :cool:
    It was not in any FW change list as far as I know. You just sneaked it in. :p

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  5. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Back to the issues about 12 tb freezing up, I just order 16 tb for internal so I can test to see if that freezes up using the internal bay. Will report back once I get it. For now I guess I'll have to power up my Nvidia shield until this get fix. Also would be nice if we could adjust the overscan to fit a 2.35:1 cinescope screen.

6. Nice Monkey

The HDD > 10TByte freezing problem was solved with FW 6.1.05 be sure to install that one. Don't use 4 Kn type of big HDD's!

7. Hugh

Hugh New Member

how can you tell if the drive are 4 Kn type?

8. Nice Monkey

It is always in the specifications of the drive and should have a 4 Kn label too.
    4Kn HDD have 4K Physical and 4K Logical sectors.

9. Hugh

Hugh New Member

I couldn't find it, but I did updated firmware and now I can play my movies from my 12tb hd. Going to watch a movie tonight to see if it plays well.

10. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

yes and my TV is 4K also....ok I'm going out :p

11. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Lucky you whilst we are all in lockdown :confused: Going to pub I'll be bound grrrrrrr

12. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

Can anybody share pictures form inside :)

13. gymnos

gymnos Member

14. Nice Monkey

Thanks for sharing the pictures. It confirms me a few characteristics and learns me a new one:
    - UHD3000 integrates a similar Switched Mode PSU to X20 Pro for the HDD's.
    - UHD3000 deploys a 3 fold Linear PSU on the DAC panel only sharing a single Talema type transformer. I expect it also feeds the Realtek SOC/mainboard using one of these?
    - The Analog section of the DAC is kept a minimal design using just 3 AMP's (XLR left, XLR right and RCA).

Using a hybrid PSU is in fact a smart move as a Switched Mode PSU is very good dealing with big power variations when inserting a HDD. For the DAC a Linear PSU with constant load is obviously the correct choice, which can be kept relative small this way.

When doing listening tests this DAC scores very well with a clear weak point too being the S/N ratio and most likely also channel separation. It scores a lot lower on these than my good old ES9038PRO based DIY kit. Using RCA output on both but I may try a XLR => RCA cable to see if that improves it a bit?
    The compact build (only the switched mode PSU is shielded), not using a ESS PRO version and the simple AMP section are potential combined causes for the observed difference. In practice the S/N does not really cause a problem. Listening to classical music at high output with periods of very low music levels (near silence) may reveal this limitation.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    gymnos likes this.
  15. Dawciowski

Dawciowski New Member

Solving the problem of noise, audio distortion when using a DAC.
    I have noticed that there are problems when using sound through the DAC RCA or XLR outputs.
    Problems arise when watching movies (DTS, Dolby AC3, etc.)
    This problem always occurs when turning on a device with the DAC turned on.
    When turning off the unit, change the sound settings to DAC off.
    then turn off the device with the remote control and switch the power switch on the back of the device to off.
    When you turn on the device again, go to the sound settings, turn on the DAC and check if there are any sound problems while watching movies, listening to music, etc.
    I have not identified any problems anymore.
    Always turn off the DAC before turning off the device.
    When testing the sound, I find that it is much better through the RCA output than the XLR.
    The RCA output gives the sound more energy.
    I think the issue of sound problems is caused by software bugs.
    If the DAC starts together with the device, it catches some errors and does not cause distortion and noise.
    This does not happen when the DAC is turned on manually after the device is started.
    I tested the device all day today. I watched movies, watched IPTV, listened to music, used Vanced YouTube, used Tidal, all connected via the RCA DAC output. There is no distortion of the sound, the sound is crisp, clean, sharp, very dynamic and energetic!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  16. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Could be wrong here, but is the dac not mostly for output of "HiFi" grade decoding for listening to 2 channel music?? Maybe using it for DTS, Dolby etc when watching films is causing the distortion??

17. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Nice Monkey, what's happening with your full review of UHD 3000?? I would like to see what this unit can do an just what bugs are apparent at the moment. You said you'd waiting for a firmware update but it's Chinese New Year that may not happen for couple of weeks at the earliest, probably going to months. Meanwhile the new Dune player is due for release very shortly. It would be good to have an honest appraisal (bugs an all) of the UHD 3000 to compare to all the threads that are sure to appear covering the Dune player.

18. Nice Monkey

Like is done with the Internal DAC (On/Off) automatically also Audio Output must be switched from RAW to 2CH LPCM (=down mixing) when USB Output is activated.

I am working on a review. ;)

19. nhtdm

nhtdm Member

Report Zidoo Z1000 Pro and UHD 3000 pictures viewer problem, slideshow doesn't work if the folder has more than a few thousand files. The Zidoo X20 Pro can do more than 10 thousand files in folder no problem. Dune HD Vision 1619DR also has no problem.

gymnos likes this.
  20. Anthemman

Anthemman New Member

Will the UHD3000 give the best picture and sound for movies in the Zidoo range of players?