Zidoo 1619 HDR & VS10 Black Level Issues expanded...

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Jun 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnwoods41

johnwoods41 New Member

Thanks Mark, I might eventually add another HD fury device to get LLDV on this also display too as this works really well on the JVC

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I use LLDV on both my JVC projector and a Samsung flatscreen and it works incredibly well on both.

You actually don't need the HDFury to get LLDV from the Zidoo on a JVC projector - you can just set the BT.2020 LLDV EDID in the Zidoo and set the JVC to a custom setting with BT.2020 and a custom gamma - so you could move your existing HDFury device to the TV.

johnwoods41 likes this.
  3. johnwoods41

johnwoods41 New Member

I didn't know that, will try it :) I have been using the vertex 2 with custom curves for a while before zidoo. Thanks again

4. Markswift2003

To be honest I have a Vertex 2 on my TV and projector because they're just such a handy device for diagnostics and general fiddling about.

johnwoods41 likes this.
  5. Markswift2003

I've decided to take this off sticky for the moment since I don't think we'll see any movement from Dolby about it and we're getting a bit full of stickies!

6. Michael Ching

Michael Ching New Member

An update on the raised black level with VS10. Running latest .75 fw on the zidoo z1000 pro.

After the supposed fix on the raised black level, I set the HDMI range to 16-235. Ever since, I have been getting bad contrast, light backgorund when projecting with Epson TW8300 (UB5040) projector. Have been trying to fix the light backgorund and poor contrast by playing with the settings on the pj to no avail. I
    have in fact forgotten about the HDMI range on the Zidoo. Last night, I set it back to AUTO and the black is back wtih good contrast! Epson pj shows the hdmi range is normal (16-235) not expanded (0-255).

However, when HDMI range set on AUTO it does not work well with HDR setting set to AUTO (no VS10), it crushes black. It seems that VS10 needs to run on AUTO (which I believe is 0-255) for the black level to look right, while AUTO would need 16-235.

In conclusion, I would say that the VS10 raised black with HDMI range 16-235 is not solved and I think VS10 needs to work with 0-255.

vddan likes this.
  7. gymnos

gymnos Member

Any good news about that issue?

8. Markswift2003

Yeah, it was fixed quite a few firmwares back, I forget which one...

Leave HDMI Range on 16-235 and you'll be good.

gymnos likes this.
  9. compingharry

compingharry New Member

I think this applies to Dune 1619DR models too? I had no issues so I lost sight of the matter....But still kept your knowledge at hand....

10. djmikeko

djmikeko New Member

Hello
    The following happens to me...
    HDR: Auto and Range: 16-235 HDR10 blacks look gray.
    HDR: Auto and Range: Auto, Perfect Blacks.

I own an LG Oled CX and Zidoo z9x.

11. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Might be a dumb question but do you have the CX black level set to "auto"? Sounds like it could be a settings mismatch, if you are forcing black level full (or high) on the TV.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  12. Jimbo Randy

Also are you testing in videos or in test patterns? I just watched some videos but black levels look good on my C1.

13. djmikeko

djmikeko New Member

Mi CX Settings: Black Level: AUTO

Im testing with Lightyear (2022) UHD Bluray (MKV) HDR10

HDR: Auto and Range: 16-235 HDR10 blacks look gray.
    HDR: Auto and Range: Auto, Perfect Blacks.

14. Jimbo Randy

Few things to try:

1. Try setting the TV to black level low (or limited or whatever it calls it). Does this solve it? I'm just curious if maybe the TV isn't switching correctly with Auto?

2. Do you have the rest of your Zidoo settings set to the recommended settings? You don't have the Zidoo set to "RGB" right? You have it on YUV?

3. Do you have the same issue with other files? Is it just the Lightyear one that's messed up? Just curious.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  15. djmikeko

djmikeko New Member

These are my settings...

Attached Files:

16. Jimbo Randy

Interesting. What happens if you keep the TV black level on LOW and the zidoo on 16-235? How does that look? I'm just curious if the TV auto setting is messed up? Probably not though.

@Markswift2003 any idea on this one?

17. djmikeko

djmikeko New Member

Testing the different black level options on the LG CX, it does not generate a considerable change in the raised blacks.

Black bars in HDR10 movies look gray, I forgot to add that information. In ALL movies in this format.

4K 50-60hz: Priority YUV420 10bit
    4K 23-30hz: Priority YUV444 10 bit
    Non_4K: Priority YUV444 8bit

18. djmikeko

djmikeko New Member

I share my edid.

Attached Files:

• edid.txt
      File size:
      256 bytes
      Views:
  19. Jimbo Randy

I tested this on my LG C1 and I'm not getting the issue that you are. Regardless of whether I mess with the black level settings, the black bars in HDR10 are black. I think something else is going on on your end. Maybe make sure you're using the correct HDMI cable?

20. djmikeko

djmikeko New Member

It was my mistake. I had not selected the automatic black level correctly, it was on high. Thank you all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.