Ziddo Z9x internal player used by emby client app

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Teddyboy, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Teddyboy

Teddyboy Member

I’m going to use emby server on my Windows essentials 2016 server with 50TB of storage. Is the emby client able to see the zidoo internal player, so it can use it as a external player? There was one post here that stated it can be used as a external player, and I think I saw a post or two on avsforum, but I can’t recall which thread. I’m looking for additional verification that I can do this using the android tv emby client.

It’s not the end of the world if it can’t do this. I’ll use the HT app for now, and see about putting in a request that zidoo expose the internal player in Android OS as a available resource that can be used by other installed apps in a FW update.

2. Tonight I just used emby with external player option.. It streamed perfect a 4k UHD HDR film (60gig} perfect using zidoo internal player..

Sp all good with using zidoo player and emby..

I share files via SMB

3. Teddyboy

Teddyboy Member

@Christopher Geschi maybe I missed it in embys client settings. There is a tick box for the external player, but I didn’t see a option to pick the Zidoo internal player so the emby client can use it.

4. Just choose external player..

Then goto your Media and play.. Zidoo internal player will automatically play the file.. no player choice needed.. automatic.

5. Teddyboy

Teddyboy Member

Thanks I’ll give it another try and report back if it works or not. When I tired it the first time when I installed the apk a week ago, it wouldn’t play the title. It said that there wasn’t a external player available for playback.

6. Make sure to use Emby TV app and not normal Emby phone /tablet app.

Also make sure you are on newest z9x beta.

7. Teddyboy

Teddyboy Member

It doesn’t work. When I check the box then, and then I try to play a movie emby tells me that no external player is available for playback. I’m using the the android tv version and not the phone/tablet app. Doesn’t matter what firmware, and I’m on the latest beta. The outcome is the same. If I uncheck the box then it uses its internal player and transcodes for playback. It can’t transcode 4k either of the two movies I tried to play, and the internal player doesn’t always pick the right track for movie playback.

8. Wow very weird indeed

How are you serving the media files via Emby over network?

I use SMB Windows shares..
    And point Emby server to use the SMB shares when scraping and NOT the drives direct...
    I point Emby to my network SMB share and it scans that.

This way it will be direct play by Emby TV. and external player..

When zidoo z9x starts the video file in Emby TV, it says STREAM over a black stream, then file plays... I can then pull up Emby player menu settings like normal etc as file is playing.. Just like using movie wall app .

If your using dlna/upnp or maybe NFS maybe that is issue.. or maybe your sharing your video files in Emby server from USB drives direct and it from the SMB share.

9. Teddyboy

Teddyboy Member

The Z9x sees the SMB shares. Emby server is installed on my 2016 server essentials server, movie folder is shared through \\servername\foldername. It can be NFS it really doesn’t matter. The folder sharing is correct. I installed VLC player, and the emby client still was not able to see the player, so I couldn’t use it as a player. I’m not sure what you’re doing on your box. At this point I’m using home theatre 4.0, so it’s not a total loss, but I would like the emby client to work eventually.

10. The only thing I can think of is I'm sharing my movies folder on a windows 10 SMB share. No password etc.
    on Emby server on Windows, I direct it to the Share and it scans the SMB share

Then use Emby TV app on zidoo z9x player.. and use external player.

Hace to ask, you are using a z9x and NOT a z9s player?

z9s player won't work with external. player.

Hope it helps..

But I like in end the zidoo movie wall app.. nicer..

11. Teddyboy

Teddyboy Member

Z9x is what I bought from Amazon. I bought tiny media manager for managing movie metadata. I think HT 4 is terrible at metadata. I like it but it’s got some quirks like handling multi disc titles, but I like the way movies are presented. I’m going to stick with the Z9X because I like it, and it works well enough. Hopefully it will improve over time. I was (still am) using a htpc with a front end that use Jriver and MPC as external players. I want to move away from using a pc. I realize it’s a trade off, but I really like the Z9x. The picture quality is great even though I only have a 1080p panel. It can downscale 4k and it looks really good. Upscaling DVDs look really good too. Thanks for your help. :)

12. No problem...

I use Emby to find art work etc and have it store data into folders of each movie..
    Then in movie wall I tell it to use my artwork amd nfo files...
    Goes fast when scanning..

13. Teddyboy

Teddyboy Member

Tiny media manager is Great for that. It easily finds everything. I’m going to use Mcbluna’s tool for exporting it directly into HT’s SQLite DB. The one thing I need to do for my shows is split them up into individual episodes and into mkv containers. I’m used to my htpc front end being able to export from from my movies the mpls, title/chapter#’s that was directly read by the external player. The front end had all episode info and I could pick that episode and it would go directly to that track in the ripped folder and start playback. It’s pretty cool.

14. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I read that using Zidoo as External Player it would not work with External Subtitles. For me that is showstopper.

15. Ron L

Ron L New Member

if anybody out there is still using emby with the external player, are you able to open ISO files? If yes, what version of Emby and Zidoo Firmware are you on?