Z9X Won't Play this file

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Engineer99, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Engineer99

Engineer99 New Member

Here's the Mediainfo for the ffmpeg conversion as above:

Code:
    General
    Unique ID                                : 207880934855092730025596288713893036104 (0x9C6469672AEBA552A56A54FB702F4048)
    Complete name                            : C:\Users\(deleted)x265.mkv.mkv
    Format                                   : Matroska
    Format version                           : Version 4
    File size                                : 880 MiB
    Duration                                 : 1 h 15 min
    Overall bit rate                         : 1 620 kb/s
    Writing application                      : Lavf58.29.100
    Writing library                          : Lavf58.29.100
    ErrorDetectionType                       : Per level 1

Video
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High@L4
    Format settings                          : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, Reference frames        : 4 frames
    Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Width                                    : 960 pixels
    Height                                   : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 23.810 FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Writing library                          : x264 core 159
    Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Language                                 : English
    Default                                  : Yes
    Forced                                   : No
    ENCODER_APPLICATION                      : Internet Friendly Media Encoder
    ENCODER_LIBRARY                          : Nemu 7

Audio
    ID                                       : 2
    Format                                   : AAC LC SBR
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity with Spectral Band Replication
    Commercial name                          : HE-AAC
    Format settings                          : Explicit
    Codec ID                                 : A_AAC-2
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel layout                           : L R
    Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
    Frame rate                               : 21.533 FPS (2048 SPF)
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Delay relative to video                  : 33 ms
    Frame Rate is different?

Here is a clip from the original file:

Attached Files:

2. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Latest MKVToolnix 56.1.0 (April 9, 2021) https://www.videohelp.com/software/MKVToolNix

3. Engineer99

Engineer99 New Member

Yeah I know. Versions after 43 don't fit the screen of my laptop and I haven't been able to adjust the font size, etc to make it fit without having to hit the scroll bar all the time.

4. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

If you are interested in conducting a quick experiment - try remuxing one of your troublesome files but only leaving the video track. No sound, subs or chapters and then see if it will play.

This MIGHT be associated with "
    * mkvmerge: AAC reader: fixed mkvmerge aborting to read AAC files bigger than
    2 GB with a message about not being able to allocate memory.

This was fixed around the release of version 54

If this temp remux allows the file to play then it's an easy matter to convert the AAC audio to AC3.

5. Engineer99

Engineer99 New Member

I'll give it a try tomorrow, although the size of the problem files are around 500 MB or less.

6. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Not only framerate, but also color bitdepth. You may want to consider keeping original bitdepth during transcode.

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Think I've sussed it.

This is a really odd file - the frame rate is 23.976 (24000/1001) but the Default Duration in the header is listed as 42000000 nanoseconds. This is the duration of a frame and this means the header shows an incorrect frame rate of 23.8095... fps.

Also, as @Whitfield pointed out, the colour subsampling is 4:4:4 - this is lossless which is generally only used for acquisition and deliverables, and this is why the Zidoo chokes on it - it's not a standard consumer format.

So in order to fix these files you need to first reset the default duration to 41708333 nanoseconds which equates to 23.976fps and then re-encode.

If you don't reset the default duration first you'll encode at 23.810fps and get lipsync issues.

A "fixed" sample is attached.

I reset the header with MKVToolnix and encoded to 10-bit H.265 (4:2:0!) with Staxrip using NVenc. FFMpeg would be fine but as I say, the default duration must be changed first.

Attached Files:

8. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Nice work, Mark.
    A writing library can end up with a wrong framerate header because of faulty timecodes within the videostream.
    Should there be incorrect timestamps, MKVToolnix will not correct these when you would only change the Default duration header to its proper value.
    The file is indeed rather odd. With "dodgy" files like this I always do a remux with setting the Default duration/FPS to its proper value, but also checking "Fix bitstream timing info".
    Even then things can go wrong. Sometimes you'll need to do a demux to the elementary streams and work from there.

9. Engineer99

Engineer99 New Member

Thanks Mark. I'm still on the learning curve but I should be able to fix the files although there are quite a few of them.
    Got to get Staxrip to try out.

10. Markswift2003

Staxrip is a frontend for many other programs (ffmpeg included) but once it's set up properly it's a very powerful interface - worth a look - as I say I use it with NVEnc which gives me hardware encoding with an NVidia graphics card which is very fast (>200fps for 2K and about 65fps for 4K).

11. Engineer99

Engineer99 New Member

Alright, I think that Vidcoder can do a one-stop conversion. I converted my test file in about 45 minutes.
    It has framerate settings and appears to have worked as expected and the Zidoo plays the file.
    Vidcoder can do batch conversions. Let me know if you see anything that's unusual.
    Thanks for your help with these weird files.

Here's the Mediainfo data for my converted file:
    Code:
    General
    Unique ID                                : 37461207150508976713279974008650916202 (0x1C2EC41C88E5E031A4DB2195C77EE16A)
    Complete name                            : C:\Users\(deleted)720p.x265.mkv
    Format                                   : Matroska
    Format version                           : Version 4
    File size                                : 252 MiB
    Overall bit rate                         : 464 kb/s
    Encoded date                             : UTC 2021-05-06 20:16:30
    Writing application                      : HandBrake 1.3.3 2020061300
    Writing library                          : Lavf58.29.100
    ErrorDetectionType                       : Per level 1

Video
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : HEVC
    Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile                           : Main 10@L4@Main
    Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
    Width                                    : 960 pixels
    Height                                   : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 10 bits
    Writing library                          : x265 3.2.1+1-b5c86a64bbbe:[Windows][GCC 9.2.0][64 bit] 10bit
    Encoding settings                        : cpuid=1049583 / frame-threads=3 / numa-pools=8 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=960x720 / interlace=0 / total-frames=0 / level-idc=40 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=2 / no-allow-non-conformance / no-repeat-headers / annexb / no-aud / no-hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / open-gop / min-keyint=24 / keyint=240 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=0 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=15 / lookahead-slices=4 / scenecut=40 / radl=0 / no-splice / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / no-rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=0 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=2 / limit-refs=3 / no-limit-modes / me=1 / subme=1 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / no-hme / weightp / no-weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=0:0 / sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=2 / selective-sao=4 / early-skip / rskip / fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / no-b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=0.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=abr / bitrate=420 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=0 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=2 / aq-strength=1.00 / cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=1 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=1 / transfer=1 / colormatrix=1 / chromaloc=0 / display-window=0 / cll=0,0 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=1023 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / no-hdr / no-hdr-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=5 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=1 / refine-ctu-distortion=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-analysis-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei / no-hevc-aq / no-svt / no-field / qp-adaptation-range=1.00
    Color range                              : Limited
    Color primaries                          : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
    ID                                       : 2
    Format                                   : AAC LC SBR
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity with Spectral Band Replication
    Commercial name                          : HE-AAC
    Format settings                          : Explicit
    Codec ID                                 : A_AAC-2
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel layout                           : L R
    Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
    Frame rate                               : 21.533 FPS (2048 SPF)
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Delay relative to video                  : 33 ms
    Title                                    : Stereo

Menu
    00:00:00.000                             : :00:00:00.000
    00:06:00.610                             : :00:06:00.560

12. Markswift2003

That looks fine - the Profile and Level is higher than needed but that doesn't matter.

Just before you let rip, is lipsync ok? - I'd expect it to be but just worth a check...

By the way - it really took me back seeing a bit of Columbo again :)

13. Engineer99

Engineer99 New Member

Lipsync looks good, I always worry about that.
    Don't know when I'll let 'er rip, got to plan to have enough disk space, etc.
    These old shows are great, especially seeing actors who are no longer with us.