Z9X - SMB playback issues while streaming from NAS

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by matty2k, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes, they are purely a bitrate test rather than a network resilience test.

There's definitely something going on here, the problem I have is I'm unable to replicate the issue.

2. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

That’s good news indeed. Could you post your developer settings (and HDR settings)? I would like to duplicate them and re-test on my side...

3. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

I turned off the Buffering enable in Realtech id turned on back in like .60 testing the DV DA stutter audio synch issues

Just watched full GI JOE 2 via SMB with no stutter cept one barely noticable one
    As id posted earlier , GO joe 1 played barley 10 mins before it had the pause/stutter on smb and perfectly fine via usb direct

These arnt what id consider a full test since theyre only DV and 5.1 MA ,but maybe a good start

Ill post back tomorrow after i run through a full DV DA movie on smb , with the realtch buffer option still turned off

And no , when i turned it on . back in say .60 or .66 i could still watch full movies via smb with no stutter/pauses ever ..excepting the obvious DV DA stutter/audio synch fixed in .85/.v90

Edit 1
    Most the way thru a fresh Makemkv rip for Ready Player One (Mel)
    looks awesome in DV ,but did get one minor stutter/pause around the 43 min mark
    Thats with PC it was streaming from in mild load ie Tera running (which sits around 3-5k a sec on network) and netcam studio running 2 ip cams
    All stuff thats normally running with no issues back b4 .85

One thing ive realized
    All the latest movies ive been playing/testing have all been DV ,since we thought it was fixed and i had a backlog to work thru :p

I cant think of any NON DV movies ive watched since .85/90
    And this may also through out testing jellyfish on the issue , since it could be totally a DV issue still ...maybe tied in to the current known one ,of the total freeze around half way thru

Ill skip the 4k tv epis i had lined up for tonight and ill try to watch a non DV movie via smb just to shed more info on the uissue
    ill edit back in later

Edit 2
    as i wondered , issue is looking like DV still
    Just watched full district 9 HDR Dolby Atmos via SMB and zero issues with stutter

Which as i was suspecting goes back to what i was saying all along about no issues with stutter on .60 /.66 over smb
    The light pause/stutter is only showing up now we have the .85/90 DV fix and are playing those movies
    It seems a lot less pronounced on SMB with realtek mem buffer off
    And it doesnt happen when playing DV movies direct to usb

Ill Play another non DV movie tomorrow over smb to replicate this result and edit back here

Edit 3
    just finished Conan The Barbarian HDR Dolby Atmos played via smb and again no dolby vision and no stutters over smb

Looking definitly like a DV /SMB issue

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  4. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Good morning - my developer settings are the default ones as my technical understanding of my Z1000 Pro doesn't qualify me to mess with them. In particular I've read much about the buffer setting but again this is on default, which afaik means I haven't turned it off. Have left my Zidoo in HDR AUTO and the remainder of the settings are as per @Markswift2003 's in his post.

Hope this helps

boxerfan likes this.
  5. kirkinezi

kirkinezi New Member

I have few days with Z9X I bought (2nd hand) , and it came to my hands , first thing I checked the firmware version.It was with 6.0.22 and I installed the 6.0.90 beta.
    I know learning the capabilities of this device and I downloaded the Jelyfish videos to check for this issues you refer to.
    So I've tested 50Mbps,100Mbps,200Mbps,300Mbps and 400Mbps via smb with my old Zyxel NSA320.All the videos was played smoothly witout any hickups.I must mention that my NAS supports only smb v1 as I searched so maybe is this the problem with you who have problems.As you said most of you with the hickup problems you have smb v2 or 3.Maybe the older v1 is more stable(?).Personally I don't think this is problem from the device it self.
    Also to make more clear about my setup , I have a router Fritzbox 7530 connected with a gigabit switch A.On that switch is connected the Zyxel NSA320 NAS with 2 WD Red HDD.On this switch A I run a 20m ethernet cable (cat5e) outside the building and goes to a gigabit switch B on the same building but different room.On this switch B I run another 30m cable(cat5e) to a gigabit switch C on another building (basement) and there I connect the zidoo Z9X.So even the route is not very straitforword I get near perfect network speeds and smooth playback from high bitrate files like the Jellyfish I mentioned before.
    Unfortunatly I didn't check the playback of this files via smb when I had the 6.0.22 firmware to tell you if it was playing without any issues.

6. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Maybe people with network and stutter issues have installed Android apps like IPTV's and others on their Zidoo boxes?

7. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

nope totally virgin player

i dont use it for anything but tv movies from my hard drives

turning the Realtek buffering back OFF let me play GI Joe 2 fully via smb last night , where GI Joe 1 the day before lasted 10 mins before the issue , and then perfect full movie direct to usb

edit see my edit above too ie Ready player one stutter on smb with realtek mem off

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  8. Armin Moesslacher

Armin Moesslacher Active Member

In my case not, and hickups via NFS and SMB (developer settings are default, but also tested with : Playback with less buffers disabled).

9. Armin Moesslacher

Please note that the buffer setting is like: Playback with less! buffers (enabled per default)

10. Armin Moesslacher

Thank you for that confirmation!!!! So could still be a LAN Network driver issue..........

Tawatchai Wog likes this.
  11. Kritjuu

Kritjuu Member

I have z1000 pro and had stuttering on NFS and SMB.
    Now with Realtek buffering switch off ( so more buffer) untill now no stutter of same movies .

12. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

I finally experienced serious lag in smb with the zidoo z9x. I never had issue since the last update but yesterday I was watching "The secret life of WalterMitty" (great film by the way ;)) and 15 min before the end it begin to stutter a lot, a freeze every 5 sec. I have stopped the movie, and app, came back and no more issue. I use ZBMC to play movie from my homemade OMV NAS over SMB. It seams like a tricky, hard to reproduce bug !

13. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

Folks, i did some testing and found some interesting observations.

Clip: 400Mbps Jellyfish

A1: VS10 engine, LAN
    A2: Auto, LAN
    Results: no difference, stuttering for both

B1: frame rate - no pause, LAN
    B2: frame rate - pause 5 secs, LAN
    Results: B1 stutters and complete playback, B2 hangs after frame rate switch.

C: VS10 engine, frame rate - no pause
    C1: LAN
    C2: WiFi 5G band
    Results: C1 (LAN) stuttering as usual and completes entire clip, C2 (WiFi) not really noticeable stutter (almost like no stutter) and completes the entire clip.

C2 was a surprise observation.

Can others with stutter, try your WiFi? Does the stutter go away, or reduce by a lot?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Tawatchai Wog likes this.
  14. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

Edited in my reply above but gist of it is

Dobly Vision played over SMB seems to be the issue atm
    ie all DV movies ive played over smb get some VERY minor stutter pauses with none of the audio synch issues pre .85 firmware
    play the same DV movies direct to usb3 port and no stutters

Played 2 NON DV but DA movies now via smb and ZERO stutter issues

15. Armin Moesslacher

Hello, I have no DV movies at all and stutters, I rolled back to 6.0.45 and now all stutters are gone.........so for me definetely a FW related issue.

ghostshadow likes this.
  16. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

Had no stutters since disabling reduced buffers in developer options on latest firmware. Never had these problems with 6.0.45 - 66 with defaults. Possibly a change to buffers was introduced in 85?

17. Robo909

Robo909 New Member

Where is the best place to download the Jellyfish files as my Virus checker keeps blocking the site.
    Thanks.

18. Kritjuu

Kritjuu Member

Stutters only when HDR set tot DV mode. When HDR is set tot auto all plays well.

19. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

Why don't you exclude https://jell.yfish.us/ from your Virus checker?

20. Robo909

Robo909 New Member

Thanks no problem with the link you sent me that works fine. I was using another one someone had posted and it was like a rapidfile share and I would rather be protected from a virus.
    Thanks.