Z9X not playing old AVI's that other players can play

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by SlimeSlug, Nov 8, 2022.

1. SlimeSlug

SlimeSlug New Member

Hey guys

Just got my Z9X setup (updated firmware to newest beta ver), but when I try to play many of my older standard def .AVI files, the Z9X either says it can't play the file right away, or it plays audio without any video for a minute, then crashes.

These same AVI files play fine on my computer, and have played fine on multiple other media players over the years (KDLinks HD720, Popcorn Hour and WDTV) so I'm surprised that they do not play on this beefy Z9X which can handle high bitrate 4K content.

There are many hundreds of these AVI's in my media collection, and it's not clear why some will play fine, but other AVI's don't even start....

I did install ZDMC 19.4 and found that I *can* play these AVI's when I go to that app separately, but I'd much rather be able to play all the media through the better looking Z9X UI.

So, I guess I'm wondering if there is a way to install other codec's into the standard system to get these avi's to play seamlessly? Or is there a way to get any AVI file to auto launch via a different player through the normal UI? This is an otherwise beautiful player, I just wish it could play all my older SD AVI's properly.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Be handy to know what the codec is...

3. SlimeSlug

SlimeSlug New Member

Sorry, I should have included that info. Looks like most are Divx AVI's, but strangely some are Xvid and still don't play.

Upon reading more, I now understand that Divx avi's won't work in the basic software.

Is there some way to view the video codec info without having to open the file first? I just need to find a way to figure out how many of my files I will need to convert. Maybe a sort by codec option somewhere?

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yeah - thought it'd be Divx.

But I'm surprised the Xvids won't play - I guess from your post you know about FourCC Changer and changing a Divx header to Xvid to get the Divx files to play.

But the Xvids should play...

I think it's possible to use the Mediainfo CLI to produce a batch list of file codecs.

5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Tried this in the past. Changing DIVX to XVID makes most AVI play but definitely not all. There must be other aspects not being supported.

6. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Sometimes "packed" AVI's won't play. Use MPEG4Modifier to unpack. Not 100% but works on most I've had.

7. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...9x-z10-pro-z1000-pro-uhd3000-neo-a-s-x.80434/
    Yes indeed you reported this before I now recall:

DIVX licensed => XVID free (also for RTD1296)
    Some may have the wish to play old DIVX (AVI) videos. These are not supported due the licenses involved with those. This is valid also for previous generations players as none support DIVX. You can bypass this limitation using this simple program:
    https://www.tweaking4all.com/home-theatre/fourcc-changer/
    Set it to change the DIVX header into a XVID header and all done. Available for MAC, Windows and Linux OS versions. Bulk conversions are supported.

But it does not make all AVI's play so there must be something else not being supported.
    Known is also to use mpeg4modifier as a remedy. It identifies some files as packed, tick the box to unpack and save.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022