Z9X cannot play this clip

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by boxerfan, Jan 17, 2021.

1. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

Can someone help to test out this clip?

<< clip removed >>

Kindly have Z9X playback this clip through a AVR, do you get audio?
    With Z9X, no sound, and my AVR shows 2 channel, and plays silence.
    However, using RPi4 running Kodi, there is sound, and my AVR shows multichannel sound.

I am not sure if this is a Z9X problem, or my AVR issue, or clip issue...

Technical details:
    Z9X firmware 90G
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A3030
    TV: Samsung Plasma PS50B850

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Audio works fine here - 2 channel Dolby Digital+

Z9X > Denon AVR7200

boxerfan likes this.
  3. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

Thanks Mark!

Markswift2003 likes this.
  4. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Are you using ARC by any chance? I've given up trying to get my TV's native apps to produce any sound from my Yamaha A1070 - as with yourself, I get the sound output showing correctly on my AVR's display but just silence. My guess, after hours of trying, that it's something to do with invoking CEC on either my TV or AVR and ARC needs both to be enabled. My TV is allegedly getting eARC at some point (my AVR is already enabled) and CEC isn't required for that, or so I've read - I'll give it another go then.

5. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

Iā€™m not using ARC.
    My connection is: Z9X ā€” RXA3030 ā€” TV

6. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

I've tried on Z9S and it works. AVR shows DD+ and I can hear the sound.

7. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Does it also say on what audio-format it's locked onto ?

8. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

it could be other boxes in ur set up interfering w hdmi cec. make sure cec is turned off, try unplug the other hdmi cables and reset ur tv and z9x. no guarantee it will work but worth a try.

ps. forgot to ask. just dd+ audio has this problem? what about dts, hd audio , etc

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  9. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

Only this DD+ had this problem, everything else (AC3, DTS, AAC, MP3, PCM,...) works fine.

I double & triple checked, the RXA3030 supports DD+.

Now for the shocker -- today the DD+ clip played with audio. I have no clue why it just works now. Maybe power down overnight fixed whatever issue. No cables were touched. I tried using both Media Center & ZDMC, both works. I just cannot explain it...this is just really wierd...

10. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

i myself suffered from similar audito issues (not related to zidoo). once i plugged in a new media player and had no sound, fixed by switching to another hdmi port. next i played w arc a bit and then everything lost audio. Also, w the latest sony tv fw, seems (at least I cant find it) they took away the user control of bravia sync (aka hdmi cec). i suppose its easy to use but harder to diagnose problems.

11. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

@boxerfan:
    This thread reminds me of certain experiences in the past with a processor. I think your issue has its reason in a flawed sourcefile. Taking a look at your uploaded mkv, I ran into some errors & pop-ups concerning the audiostream. There's definitely something jiffy with it. To be short, a more knowledgable buddy of mine says the audiostream's metadata would suffer from syntaxial errors and missing bits.

Why the file plays back ok now where it previously did not, is beyond me, I must say.

Anyways, do yourself a favour and please realise there's a lot of garbage media. Everywhere, even on official releases. For that matter, be careful what you use as a reference to an (any) issue, and always cross-check with other mediafiles. I would try another, more trusted source to see if there would be an (EAC3-) issue with your Yammie. My guess would be it is just okay. But, never say never...
    Actually, personally I think you'd be glad to have one. Others may disagree. Over time I have learned to forcibly love the Yamahas because of their inexorable behaviour on fucked-up sources. They are one of the too less devices out there that tend to react instantly when you throw something wrong at it. Especially when it comes down to testing, one'll want a machine that immediately responds to input-related issues. Helps you separate the wheat from the chaff, IMO.

boxerfan likes this.