Z1000 Pro - Swapping Internal HDD

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by rozel, Apr 23, 2021.

1. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Hi all

Right now I run my Music and non UHD Films on two NAS's, with my UHD Films on a large HDD in my Zidoo's drive bay.

I'm thinking about transferring my Music to a separate HDD, again to run in the drive bay. My setup is based in my lounge and I seek to have the least number of trailing cables as possible, so I don't want to connect an external hdd of some sort.

My question is can you hot-swap HDD's in and out of the Zidoo or is it best to switch the Zidoo off (using the switch at the back), swap HDD's and then switch back on?

Also would my new Scans using MP6 still be saved? Even though I will back them up, will I need to restore them after re-inserting the Music HDD, say after playing some films?

Thanks for some help

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Doing this since ages (X9S ) and never had any problems. Just be sure to do an Unmount/Eject before removing the HDD. Do this with External SATA, Internal HDD and USB drives.
    Be sure your Zidoo has ample PSU power to deal with power surges when connected/inserted. The standard PSU won't do for that for small models but Z1000 PRO has a suitable PSU. Never just cut the power but do a clean power-off.

Zidoo HT and MP keep track of HDD ID's so it should work with scans.

3. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Thank you so much! - I had a feeling you'd reply, cos you are the man with these things :) OK can I ask a couple of further questions please?: -

1. Exactly how do you Unmount/Eject? I always power down with the remote before removing usb sticks, after say updating the firmware, which is the only time, until now I have considered using two drives in this way.
    2. What do you think of this drive?: - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST...p/B075WYBQXJ/ref=psdc_430527031_t1_B01MR6Y13P My film HDD is a 10Tb 7200 rpm one but this is 5400 rpm - what do you think?

Cheers

4. Nice Monkey

1. On Media Center move cursor left till the pop-up for unmounting appears and confirm. Drive will disappear from the overview. Tried it with up to 12 HDD's connected via USB.
    2. My standard answer pasted once more! Barracuda is fine though but 2.5 HDD is even better for music.

Which SATA HDD (Internal/External) to get for these players?
    This must be the question asked most for any media player. The answer is generic:
    - If you like absolute silence: Any 2.5 drive using an 2.5 => 3.5 adapter will do also for Internal. A SSD can be used too obviously but is regarded an overkill by me as it offers no substantial additional advantages.
    - Any low speed version HDD. Cheaper/slower is better in most cases. Player performance will be identical and less energy => less heat => less drive and above all less fan noise!
    - The cheapest is buying an External USB drive even for an Internal HDD by extracting the build-in HDD from that one. That is what I usually do myself once a year going for Black Friday offers.

What about lifetime/warranty? Using HDD's with a media player the player will be off most of the time and HDD's are stopped when not in actual use. No need for a NAS having HDD's spinning 7x24h! In fact my media player is used as my SMB Server with the only disadvantage that safety copies need to be made manually/automated. The cheapest for that is sharing your entire collection with a good friend.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Mabon likes this.
  5. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Ahh - thank you once more, much appreciated :)

Edit: - Sorry, to ask again @Nice Monkey , but once Unmounted/Ejected, can another drive then be inserted, without switching the Zidoo off, either via the remote or via the switch? And will it be immediately be found and seen by the Zidoo? - this is what I meant by hot-swapping.

Thanks again

6. Nice Monkey

True Plug & Play as intended. Do it all the time to swap drives with power kept on.

WD Reds are made for NAS and very robust but never were my choice. So no experience. You want WD Green equivalent of drive
    Using a UHD200o experienced some 3.5 drives getting really hot. I called it barely touchable. With UHD3000 this is far better (fan at the bottom).
    Using 2.5 inch with an adapter is the best.

My latest drives pulled from an External housing: WD120EDAZ = 0,4A at 5V + 0,55A at 12V.
    The rotation speed is irrelevant those power specs are not (Barracuda is even lower on power)

Mabon and rozel like this.
  7. Nice Monkey

The optimal HDD solution is getting an Icy Box IB-3805-c31 USB docking station. Not cheap around € 300,- sales but coming with 5 quick loading slots with most important a 3mm thick aluminium chassis and individual power switches per unit. It also has a USB3.1c input plus a hub USB3c port for daisy chaining multiple units.

Swapping the very safe way: Eject/Unmount a drive (drive led goes from blue => red), Power Off that drive (led goes off), Swap with another HDD, Power On that port (led goes red => blue).

Even with its huge 150W PSU this unit is extremely silent fully populated and will sleep HDD's and temperature control the fan when appropriate automatically. If you want the best just go for this one.
    Icy Box IB-3805-c31.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Mabon likes this.
  8. Nice Monkey

Not with regular CD and DVD. :)

Just try some UHD/HDR BD's going up to 100 GByte per movie and things move really fast. Even music on BD, DVD-Audio and SACD move up pretty fast in volume. ;)

Oh yes there is also this Icy Box IB-3810U3 10-slot baby. That is what I call impressive!
    Icy Box IB-3810U3.png

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Mabon likes this.
  9. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

10. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I have successfully set up my new Barracuda HDD and all is well. However I encountered an issue, which took me 48 hours of fiddling to get to the bottom of. I have configured my Zidoo to boot into the "File Manager" (the left icon in Media Centre) having set my favourite folders to appear. From this screen no pop-up for unmounting appears no matter where or how you try and position your remotes pointer. OK so reading your instructions more carefully, I got back to Media Centre and again no pop-up appears for unmounting purposes. I tried in advanced settings but found the "pointer" didn't seem to control the "eject button" to unmount the existing HDD. After a few hours of messing about, I gave up for another day - I was still waiting for my new 8Tb HDD so searched the forum in the meantime for more information. I resolved myself, at this stage, to perhaps switching off my Z1000 Pro using the switch on the rear, before removing and replacing the HDD when it arrived.

So the new HDD arrived and I tried again. I tried in vane for several more hours to get the unmounting pop-up, with no success. For some reason as a last resort, I went into "Apps" to reopen it - not sure why I did this to be honest but imagine my suprise after doing this, your instructions worked perfectly!

Not sure why I had to reopen Media Centre to get the Unmounting pop-up but hurrah!

11. Nice Monkey

No idea either but have seen more of these things. Mostly they can't be reproduced. But good it now works as it should. :)