Z1000 intermittent freezing

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1296)' started by Oakdene, Feb 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Oakdene

Oakdene New Member

Hello,

I have just taken delivery of a Z1000 and have noticed that the picture and the sound freeze from time to time when playing a movie. The movie is streamed from my Nas (Synology) via wired ethernet.

Would anyway be able to advise on what parameters I should try to tweak to rectify this. The freezing is very irritating and would be classified as a major shortcoming if it cannot be resolved.

Besides this the Z1000 comes across as a very capable media player.

Best regards

2. andrewrona

andrewrona Member

try a factory reset!

3. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Hello,

did you use the frame-rate switch in the options ? if not choose Frame-Rate and resolution

here is my settings, look at the 34th second...

See you

4. bob

bob Active Member Zidoo TECH Supporter

You can upgrade the latest version. v2.3.10
    thanks

5. Oakdene

Oakdene New Member

Thank you all three gentlemen.

I have tried the restore and the new firmware and they have unfortunately not resolved the issue. OlivierQC, I will go through your settings once again tonight and see if I missed something.

Best regards

Dan

6. Oakdene

Oakdene New Member

Hello again,

After some more testing I have found out that the freezing does not occur when having the movie on a hard disk internally or externally or via USB. The freezing still occurs when streaming from a NAS.

That gives me some reassurance. However now comes the question of what could possibly be wrong with the LAN connection. My movie collection is quite extensive and not being able to use the NAS would be a major shortcoming.

My network is based on cat6a cabling and has been used for streaming of movies before (using a different streamer) with no hiccups.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Dan

7. futeko.com

futeko.com Active Member

Can you give us more detail about how the files are shared on the NAS? What protocol (SMB,NFS,DLNA)?

8. Oakdene

Oakdene New Member

Hello and thank you for your response.

I have tried using SMB and NFS protocols but both have this problem. I tried NFS yesterday understanding that it would be faster but it made the freezing much worse and more frequent. Begs the question, could the problem I am having be due to transfer speed with the Z1000 not being able to buffer correctly? Just a layman's thinking.

Best regards

Dan

9. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Which SMB protocol version? Use SMBv2 or above only as SMBv1 was not designed for high throughputs. Should do wire-rate at Gigabit. Personally use my Z9S as the SMB server connecting a stack of HDD's via a USB-3 Docking Station (up to 10-slots if you need many). Much more flexible than a real NAS (true plug & play).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  10. Oakdene

Oakdene New Member

Thank you for your input. I will look into the SMB version later tonight.

You mention using a USB Docking Station. What does it do and what model/make are you using?

Best regards

Dan

11. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Used several like a 4-slot Mediasonic/Fantec and even a huge 10-slot Icy Box. You want a real one with a full enclosure, ample power and quick loading handles.
    Prefer them not to be RAID just individual drives.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  12. Oakdene

Oakdene New Member

Thanks for that. I would think that the Boxes can connect to LAN as well as having the USB connection.

Unfortunately switching to SMBv2 did not help. The freezing is still there.

Best regards

Dan

13. Sampinto89

Sampinto89 Member

Hi,

I would like to add that this is a known problem with both the Z9S, UHD2000, and now the Z1000. It's mainly with MKV files for most people including me, and it will freeze occasionally during streaming. It happened on my Z9s and now my UHD2000. Someone on this forum and other mentioned that the latest firmware introduced the freezing issue on the media players with the 1296 chip.

I just hope that Zidoo figures out what's going on in the next firmware. I really love the UHD2000, but the freezing issue is starting to worry me a little, but knowing Zidoo is upstanding Company in my experience, they would release a fix for it.

Again, this freezing issue probably affects all players using the 1296 chip on the new firmware. It mainly affects mkv files, but may also affect other formats like ISO etc. Anyone else having the problem should chime in?

Thanks,

14. Oakdene

Oakdene New Member

Thanks for your input. Sort of good to know that it is not me that is running my NAS incorrectly.

Having the freezing is of course a major shortcoming and we would be entitled to send our units back if we wanted. However you are saying that Zidoo take issues seriously and hopefully should be able to resolve the issue in a not distance future.

Like yourself I do like my Z1000 and it would be a shame if I would have to say good bye to it.

Regarding firmware versions I had the previous version before updating to the latest and there was no difference in terms of freezing.

Best regards

Dan

15. Oakdene

Oakdene New Member

Hello,

I can say no that having turned into using an 4 Bay Icy Box the Z1000 is working without and freezing. Of course I am sort happy about this but it has caused a lot of extra expense. I would have expected that using the my NAN would have been without problems. Like with other Media players I have used.

I have only tried HD movies and it remains to be seen how it performs with 4K.

Regards

Dan

16. Lows94

Lows94 New Member

Hi, i have the same problem of freezing but only in audio. For max 1 sec the audio turn off and immediatly return. With internal and external hdd, music and mkv film. Anyone have solve the problem?

17. Lows94

Lows94 New Member

No one have solved the problem?

18. tex78a

tex78a New Member

Hi everyone, I'm very intersting in this discussion, I'm a new possessor of Z1000.
    I have the same problem of audio 1 sec off and return many times in viewing movies and also casually freezing while watching movies. I've updated 3 days ago to the latest firmware 2.3.32, but nothing change.
    My movie library is saved on WD my book 8TB HDD linked via usb 3.0 port on Zidoo. I tested also the USB 2.0 port but nothing change.
    There are some particular settings to apply?
    thanks to all.