You may have a Dolby Vision TV and not even know it.....

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by Markswift2003, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Here's something interesting I came across today...

I have an old Sony TV I bought back in October 2016.

I was testing some stuff for Zidoo today and loaded an EDID with LLDV into a connected Z9X.

While messing around in the TV's settings, I looked to see if there was a way to activate BT.2020 colour for the LLDV trick and this happened:

upload_2021-10-20_22-42-10.png

Which is odd.

So I then set HDR to Auto in the Zidoo and played a Dolby Vision file and this happened:

upload_2021-10-20_22-44-47.png
    Even odder.

That Dolby Vision logo ain't being produced by the Zidoo!! And this isn't a Dolby Vision TV!!

In fact, after dropping such a monumental bo**ck in their move to Dolby Vision, Sony didn't even release their first Dolby Vision firmware until January 2018.

Remember - this TV is MY2016.

So it seems that my 15 month earlier than Sony release Dolby Vision non Dolby Vision TV is in fact capable of Dolby Vision!!

All I needed to do was provide an EDID with a Dolby Vision block which I nicked from an EDID for a Sony A1E which I believe is the first "official" Sony Dolby Vision set and hey presto!

So I kind of think if my old Sony, which is certainly not an expensive one, has Dolby Vision lurking inside, then maybe other Sony TVs from 2016/2017 and maybe even earlier might be carrying a little secret inside their rusty innards.

Anyone want to provide any EDIDs and I may be able to give you a free upgrade :)

H1982 and Netmask like this.
  2. Inikad

Inikad Active Member

This is surprising. Something added to more references than expected with firmware updates?

The first time I saw the 2 logos for Dolby Vision on my Sony (left for Zidoo and right for Sony), I thought that it was a bug of the Zidoo. lol

H1982 likes this.
  3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

So you'll understand how freaked out I was when my TV isn't even supposed to be Dolby Vision :)

H1982 likes this.