XLR versus RCA

Discussion in 'Eversolo' started by Fatherted, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Fatherted

Fatherted New Member

Hi,
    I’m interested to know if there is any difference into using the XLR output compared to using RCA.
    I am looking at buying a new amp to go with the DMP.
    I was reading up on the Rega Brio and then came across the SMSL AO200, which has XLR inputs.
    I would be in a 6m x 4m room, but I don’t listen at loud volumes.
    Any advice would be welcome. Thank you

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Theoretically, there is no difference, BUT:

1. XLR outputs allow for longer cable runs (you are in a 4x6 room, so for your usecase this is irrelevant)
    2. XLR (balanced) signals are built in such a way that captured RF or EM noise gets automatically canceled out (being present on both signal wires mirrored at 180-degrees, it cancels out itself...)

Having the possibility, I would go for the balanced (XLR) ones. In fact, on my system (with a Z8 DAC and active studio monitors), I do.

3. Fatherted

Fatherted New Member

Thanks Nutul. As this is possibly the last amp I intend to buy, I’m just trying to get it right. Active speakers are another possibility I guess.

Nutul likes this.
  4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

For short connections the balanced mode of XLR is mostly irrelevant. XLR is meant primarily for stages with long cable runs.

But also the signal level is higher and as such it can be connected straight to some headsets and also AMP End stages. Volume control can then be done using the player (up to -100 db) with FW update coming. Potentially that gives the optimal sound.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  5. Naj

Naj New Member

This might help to understand the differences

Cheers Naj

Nice Monkey and Boxa like this.
  6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Speaking as someone who has used extremely long distance balanced cables at outdoor events many times they're essential for analogue runs in that situation and can be repeated, split, routed etc.

With oppositely polarised audio signals the net signal over both lines is zero which means it's easy to filter - if the net effect is >0 then that bit is noise so is easily removed. Not so with standard line since it's single polarity - you have to rely on shielding in that case and also the degradation over long distance is much worse.

There's no real world audio benefit in home kit over decent line cables, but it does pretty much guarantee zero external noise and they do look nice.

7. Mark Piathanom

Mark Piathanom New Member

1. Only the audiophile devices may show the difference between XLR and RCA.
    2. XLR or RCA is better??? Highly depends on each equipment.
    3. XLR will cost more problem if signal synchonization is done incorretly.
    4. XLR cable will cost more.
    5. I use 5 meters RCA cables between preamp and amp and faces no problem.
    By the way, save some money for external DAC throught digital coaxial out. You will get much better sound.

8. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

hmm, 5 m run single-ended... I'd never do it (I don't always use RCA, but when I do, it's for 1 foot cables on stacked - or side-by-side, equipment); it's prone to pick up every power-line on the way...
    Then again, if they're quality ones, well shielded, and power lines are not on the way, I could give them a go; but 5 m man... that's a huge distance for interconnects...

9. Fatherted

Fatherted New Member

Thank you Nice Monkey

10. Fatherted

Fatherted New Member

Interesting, thank you Naj

11. Fatherted

Fatherted New Member

Thank you for the information Mark

12. Mark Piathanom

Mark Piathanom New Member

1. I use it on KT88 Monoblock and solid state amp, never try on single end
    2. Agree with you that it should use qulity cable
    3. But, I have power source close to the RCA cable, about 50 cm. away

13. Jim Helman

Jim Helman New Member

Besides the ability to run longer cables, the other advantage of XLR, s is higher output voltages. Generally speaking, you will get noticeably more volume with an XLR than with an RCA connection.

fofocho likes this.
  14. Markswift2003

Sorry that's simply not true.

Yes, XLR has a substantially greater voltage than commercial line level (about 3v p-p vs approx 1v p-p for commercial line) but this is to do with signal robustness and not "volume".

In fact volume is only something that one considers in between an amplifier and a driver - at line levels we consider gain and attenuation.

The voltage levels are handled differently in XLR vs Line and in fact XLR signals tend, if anything, to be considered quieter than Line. The higher voltage and balanced signal just allows analogue transmission over vastly greater distances without deterioration.

Overall XLR is better, but this is really only applicable in a professional environment with noise and long cable runs - with say a 1m XLR and a 1M RCA cable there will be no difference whatsoever - neither measurable, perceivable, nor imaginary.

But people love big cables with big plugs, so fill yer boots :)

Fatherted and ammar11 like this.
  15. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Technically XLR can be an improvement, but very slightly and in the right condition. It will not be audible, at least to my ears.

But yes, I will use it if I have a choice, solely for the locking mechanism, even weirder that I like the sound it makes when it locks lol.

So yep people can go crazy for a lot of different reasons, including yours truly but I won't argue when I know I'm not making any sense.

Fatherted likes this.
  16. Markswift2003

Yes - there is something vastly more satisfying about plugging an XLR in compared to the insipid slide of an RCA, particularly an ill-fitting one ;)

Fatherted likes this.
  17. Bluenight

Bluenight Member

Thinking about getting a Xlr cable. For the reasons i can then have both my Hugo2 dac with Rca connected to my amp and DMP-A6 connected with Xlr to same amp at the same time.

Also specs shows better on Xlr on DMP-A6 lower noise and better dynamic range. Also its a Diffriental balanced design and to my knowledge Xlr suits better then. Also i read opinions that my amp who also is a Diffriental balanced design sounds better with Xlr.

Problem is i have a very high end Rca so i think i need to buy an Equaly high end Xlr for it to matter maybe. But I was looking for cheaper ones actually as they seemed bang for buck in the materials used and design. Also Xlr seems less picky about external noise as i read here.

18. Arcticpollen

Arcticpollen Active Member

A "high end" XLR cable will make no difference to you other than the contents of your wallet. Bog standard ones with decent construction and connectors will be more than adequate...

Fatherted likes this.
  19. Bluenight

Bluenight Member

Maybe i am an audio fool that still think it can make a difference:). Have anyone compared different Xlr cables? I know Rca cables sound different from experience so i am an believer.

20. Arcticpollen

Arcticpollen Active Member

At the end of the day, if more expensive cables give someone more enjoyment of their listening experience, then it's not my place to comment.

I will be sticking with my own view that the elctrons will flow as expected irrespective of the direction that the arrow points to on the outer casing. :D

Mikeees and Fatherted like this.