Wifi hardware mod (external antenna)

Discussion in 'ZIDOO H6 Pro' started by Cocolopez, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Cocolopez

Cocolopez New Member

Hello, I have to say that zidoo h6 pro its a great device, the best android box I ever get....but (like all my other tv box) wifi its not the best. I use the box in my room and that is far away from the wifi source, so I have to do something.

I take apart the device and see a big space in the metal box:

01.jpg

Remove the internal antenna and test an old router antenna I have.

02.jpg

08.jpg

So I was getting 700kbsp in the best try...now I get 8.3 mbps and some timer 12 mbps (my internet its a 12 mbps connection...so...I get the top speed in my room now)

03.jpg

But I cant let the beautifull zidoo cage laying in a drawer....so I have to drill a hole in the cage and this is what I get:

07.jpg

I drill in the zidoo logo in the back, thats the place I see in the first photo.

06.jpg

04.jpg

Its not the most beautifull antenna I ever see...but now I can use popcorn time, netflix, youtube...and all the other internet steaming apps....at full speed.

Hope this is helpfull.

dikonomi, rread13, Polde and 3 others like this.
  2. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member Beta test group Contributor

nicely done :)

Cocolopez likes this.
  3. GiovanniO

GiovanniO New Member

So it confirmed that the wifi problem is hardware related and not due to software/firmware?

4. Cocolopez

Cocolopez New Member

I cant confirm that...I just share my experience....The only hardware part that is, in my point of view, a problem its the internal antenna...I know that is hardware....but I mean that the board it a great, a wonderfull device. If you can buy an antenna with the same conector its just simply deatacht the internal and atacht the new external antenna...and meybe you can use an old internal antena from a wifi router and just change it...

5. Ayokoya

Ayokoya Member

I don't know about wi-fi performance and software issue, but I am pretty sure that Bluetooth performance is somewhat link to software. Bluetooth remote works up to 12ft away when H6 Pro is on, but I have to be less than 7ft to turn it back on.

GiovanniO likes this.
  6. Ayokoya

Ayokoya Member

Cocolopez, nice sharing!!! Can you give us a little bit detail on how the connection is made between zidoo internal antenna and your external antenna?

I too opened the H6 Pro a few weeks ago and learned that the internal antenna is stuck to the top plastic cover, so I just stood the box up and have the cover face me, got it work to an acceptable level without modifying anything, got wi-fi speed of 6Mbytes/sec (48Mbps) average.

7. GoDi

GoDi New Member

Thanks for this, I did this yesterday.
    I got the antenna from an old modem, I unplugged it from the old modems motherboard, then I unplugged the internal antenna from H6 motherboard and switched it to the new one.
    I drilled a hole too and it looks like factory made now :)

Too bad the box is super buggy, constant crashes and not even able to output multichannel from optical, also ethernet connection is not working for me, it works for a minute or so and then it just stops working and only full restart gets it back up- thats why I had to make the antenna mod and use wifi...

The X9S is lightyears ahead in all areas, I wish I would have just ordered another one instead of this :(

8. Cocolopez

Cocolopez New Member

I have no bug on last firmware in h6 pro. Maybe you have to make a factory reset and install the last firmware...

Glad you like it...about the connection between the 2 antenas....well I just solder the two wires....the one in the middle of the router antenna to the one in the middle of the internal antena....then made the same with the external mesh surrounding the external antenna cable and the internals....so you get a plug to use in the board (from internal antenna) and the external antenna in the other end.

I have to say its not the best way to do it....buy here (argentina) I cant get a pigtail with the same board connection...If you can get one you just have to unplug internal antenna from the board and plug the pigtail for the external antenna.

Hope you understand...some time my english its a mess...

Cheers and happy holidays!

9. GoDi

GoDi New Member

I already have the latest firmware, and I have tried to reset, no help.

10. jcooby

jcooby New Member

thanks for sharing.i just bought one,and im intrested in whats your router's max wifi speed.

11. rread13

rread13 New Member

I did the same thing with my Zidoo H6 Pro. I bought a pair of antenna off an Ebay seller that came with the correct cable connections at both ends. The job was then a total cinch, drill out with small bits working up to the 1/4" and then connect up the cable and screw down the post and put things back together.

My WiFi speeds are almost the same as what I obtained with the Ethernet connection. I was hoping I'd get a speed increase but almost identical performance speeds is a mind blower! My antenna looks to be just like yours. It's bigger than I expected. I've got a couple smaller ones from a Netgear router that was tossed before I ever thought of making a external antenna project on one or more of my streamers. I have to dig around and find em and test them to see if they work at 2.4 and 5Ghz?

Rick

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  12. federico dedomenici

federico dedomenici New Member

IMG_20180703_204840.jpg IMG_20180703_204851.jpg IMG_20180703_204851.jpg IMG_20180703_204840.jpg IMG_20180703_204833.jpg IMG_20180703_204808.jpg Many Thanks for this mod. I make mine whatching this. Now The wifi es really much stable 25/28 mbs. I leave The old antena Also

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018