Western Digital RED 14TB Drives

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1296)' started by Karl Luinen, May 12, 2020.

1. Karl Luinen

Karl Luinen New Member

Hi Folks

I hope someone here can help me I purchased a 28TB western digital duo containing 2 14TB RED drives for use with my UHD2000.
    No matter what I do I can not get the UHD2000 to see the drives when I insert them into the internal bays and do a source search.
    If I leave them inside the little mini tower as they ship and plug the whole unit into the USB port it detects both 14TB drives straight away to use normally.
    Why will the player not detect them when inserted into the drive bays any ideas please ?
    Cheers

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

That is simple. The USB/ATA chip does sector translation. When taken out they must be re-formatted for straight SATA deployment.
    Be sure all partitions are removed and just a single partition is created. Do this on a W10 PC using obviously SATA.

3. Karl Luinen

Karl Luinen New Member

Hi Mate
    Thank you for the speedy reply , I plugged in the Duo to my windows 10 pc and using the western digital tools I took them out of raid formation to switched to 2 individual drives and reformatted them to NTFS.
    They are then showing clean within windows 10 with a capacity of 12.7TB which I presume is right within windows.
    I then removed them from the Duo enclosure and tried inserting them into the UHD2000 but they will not be detected under source at any cost.
    Back in the Duo tower and bingo picked up first time I am confused big time did I do this right using western digital utilities ?
    Cheers

4. Nice Monkey

I always use standard Windows to format. The Android implementation is just made to work and simply ignores any valid variables not expected.
    For that same reason any hidden partitions must be removed also if present.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  5. Karl Luinen

Karl Luinen New Member

Cheers pal
    I have just used my docking station with EaseUS partition professional edition software to look at the drive and indeed there was the main partition and a GPT partition separate that was 128MB.
    I have removed the 128MB partition along with the main partition and now all the drive is just one partition for the full amount.
    Reformatted to NTFS so this should now work in the internal bays of the UHD2000 I hope.

6. Karl Luinen

Karl Luinen New Member

Ok just about give up with this UHD2000 now I really do.
    Complete removal of the mini partition that was on my 14TB western digital drive and it now only as the one partition which was formatted to NTFS and the UHD2000 will still not detect the drive.
    Might be returning this very soon just can not be bothered with all this messing about just to get it to see an hard drive.

7. Nice Monkey

This poor NTFS support is something ALL Android implementations from any brand/model have in common. Using standard Windows tools (disk management) formatting with GPT+NTFS should do the trick. Fancier tools might do some things slightly different.
    You can also use exFAT or EXT4 as an alternative if you are a Linux or Apple IOS fan.

All the nitty gritty details to be found here.
    https://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=576.0
    The good news "never encountered a HDD which could not made to work" with the biggest being a 16 TB Seagate Ironwolf.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  8. Karl Luinen

Karl Luinen New Member

Cheers Nice Monkey for all your help it really is appreciated.
    So As I stand at the moment then it looks like I am completely screwed trying to get these hard drives to work and the UHD2000 is of no use to me and might as well be returned.
    My situation is this :- I purchased the Western Digital Duo 28tb model and aimed to use the two 14TB drives in the UHD2000 which as you know I can not get it to see them.
    My computer is an all in one pc so all I have access to is USB ports for connecting any external drives too either using a dock or the Duo tower system.
    I have removed the hidden partition using the above program in my previous post because windows disk management would not even show the hidden partition.
    I now have the 14TB drive containing the one partition and reformatted in NTFS by USB because I have no other way to connect the drive.
    The only other option for me is to keep the 28TB tower and use it plugged into the UHD2000 and then buy individual Western Digital hard drives separate to use in the internal drive bays because they come pre formatted differently is this correct ?
    If I purchased the drives individual and reformatted using my USB dock would I then run into the same problem again ?
    Thanks Buddy this is really grinding me down , I just want to be able to enjoy my new UHD2000 using the internal bays.

9. Nice Monkey

You need a PC with (E)SATA connectors typically being a tower model (and open it if needed). No friend around having one?
    USB Docks may work but most don't support GPT directly, so no solid answer here. I am sure WD Red's can be made to inter-work with Zidoo SATA. Being inserted into your UHD2000 they probably produce (a lot) more noise!

New Internal HDD's may not be formatted at all, but a good shop will check and do it for you.

I know Windows Disk Management is not the smartest, but it is the only tool I am 100% sure it always works. Android is just made to work with the way that product does things (ignoring variables and options totally).
    I use Minitool Partition Wizard Free when needed for removing stuff.

If you look around you will find lots of people having troubles getting their HDD's to work with Android based media players. The stupid thing is Android does not come with a suitable tool included (because NTFS is Microsoft licensed).

10. Karl Luinen

Karl Luinen New Member

Cheers buddy what a pain in the ass this is becoming then.
    Most of my mates just have tablets these days and give up on tower PC's and gaming yrs ago so stuffed there.
    So if I buy a internal drive separate and format using an external dock the same problem will arise then mate ?
    Can you recommend any external USB dock that will do the job ?

11. Nice Monkey

I will ask a friend what he is using. He has a single slot simple docking (for connection to his laptop) and a UHD2000 too.
    The point is he got the HDD's used with those from me already formatted. Moved up to bigger units myself.

Use an external FANTEC QB-35US3-6G USB3 docking myself with my Z9S and move HDD"s constantly between that one, External SATA on media players and my PC as Internal HDD (using a build-in Docking). My Z9S is setup as NAS Server .

12. Karl Luinen

Karl Luinen New Member

13. Karl Luinen

Karl Luinen New Member

This is how my drive is being reported in minitool partition wizard at the moment MOVIE DRIVE 1.
    I have not yet removed the smaller partition from the other drive yet was just trying to get one working with the UHD2000.
    IMG_20200513_135011 (Medium).jpg

14. Nice Monkey

Just checked and some of my HDD's also have that 128 Mbyte partition. Those are found also without problems.
    https://www.dell.com/support/articl...ed-during-the-installation-of-windows?lang=en
    It is needed when used as a Windows BOOT drive with UEFI protection.

Sectors per Cluster: 8 (4096 bytes)
    Sectors per File Record: 2 (1024 bytes)
    Sectors per Index Record: 8 (4096 bytes)

Physical and Logical sectors must be 512 bytes like shown above. Android just supports that.
    Go to Properties and next File System Info to show

That is the Docking I use myself indeed. But there are much simpler 1-slot units too that should work. Just waiting for my friend to report what he bought.

SilverStone SST-FS303B on that same site is the unit in my PC used for bulk data moves and formatting new HDD's.

15. Karl Luinen

Karl Luinen New Member

16. Nice Monkey

Set cluster size to 4K when formatting. Android does not like 8K probably.
    Being such a big HDD the default is likely 8K for the tool used.