VPN for X6 pro

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X6 Pro' started by prmac, Jan 5, 2016.

1. prmac

prmac New Member

Hi, I'm new to Kodi and Android Boxes. I have been using the X6 pro for a few weeks now and like this box a lot. I tried the M8S and hated it and so returned. A friend has suggested I set up a VPN for private protection so I did some research which led me to PIA (private internet access). I purchased an account and have tried to get it working but when I try to install it from VPN for OpenELEC I get a "VPN for OpenELEC" error. I have a few days to cancel PIA but would rather get it working. Does anyone know a way to get this functioning?

2. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

3. prmac

prmac New Member

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Water heater broke so had to fix that first.
    I tried to get into Google Play on the x6 but my wi-fi won't connect. I've been using Ethernet until now so I'll have to get the wi-fi working then come back to this problem
    Paul

4. spring

spring Guest

HI:
    X6 has VPN, you can set it from: system setting==>More==>VPN
    ths!

5. restrepo

restrepo New Member

I would recommend not to use pptp protocol. You can either download PIA own apk or you can download openvpn apk and place the openvpn credentials and that should be it. Another option would be to use openvpn on the router level if your router is capable of doing so. Asus newer line routers like 1900AC router or above make it easy to use the credentials, but you may need to download Merlin ASUS onto your router as it has better settings. If you use it on the router level then everything in the household goes through the vpn. I hope this helps you. By the way which firmware of are you using on your device?

6. prmac

prmac New Member

sorry for late reply, got busy and new to this android tv thing. I'm running v1.0.19. Is what "spring" was talking about pptp? I cancelled PIA because of 7 day tryout coming to end then found it in Zidoo's homepage APPS. I tried openvpn but when I try to launch I get a "This is a console-only addon" message.
    I'm in rural northern Ontario, Canada where the internet gets real expensive by increments of download speed so I don't really want the router slowing me down on everything, but I will get a new one if necessary or re-purchase PIA????

7. restrepo

restrepo New Member

PIA is pretty good but you could try vpn.ac how can try it for a week for only two dollars to see if you like there service with no string attached.

prmac likes this.
  8. prmac

prmac New Member

Thanks restrepo. That is what I'm going to do when I resolve a few other things.
    Paul

9. russellgill

russellgill New Member

I would recommend to use fastestVPN, it works very well on all platforms. I have been using it on Kodi, iOS and windows it works smoothly, further its speed is much better than other VPN's

10. linda98martin

linda98martin New Member

Someone suggest you to get that one and other said to get this one and blah blah.. But I do not recommend any vpn service, I suggest to make self hosted vpn on your home internet. It is not easy as you think but you can do with put little more effort. This guide will help you to configure self hosted vpn on your home internet. https://www.purevpn.com/what-is-vpn/how-to-get-a-vpn