Unprocessed video output

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by CJC, Nov 9, 2019.

1. CJC

CJC New Member

I'm considering buy a new projector, a JVC NX7/RS2000 and one of it's feature is auto tone mapping. What is the best way to send completely unprocessed video out from the Z9S? Or do I just leave picture adjustment sliders at their default?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I'd recommend:

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode: Switch frame rate and resolution

Display/HDMI Mode: 384x2160p 23Hz
    Display/HDR: Auto
    Display/Advanced settings/Deep Color Mode: 10-bit
    Display/Advanced settings/Color Space Mode: YCbCr 444
    Display/Advanced settings/HDMI Range Mode: 16-235

Leave picture sliders at default.

3. CJC

CJC New Member

Will the Zidoo pass along the MaxCLL and MaxFALL data contained within an MKV file?

4. Markswift2003

Yes it does.

5. J.K.uploaden

J.K.uploaden Member

Why limited color range 16-235? I've always ever used full color range 0-255.

6. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

0-255its computer monitor color range
    16-235 is for movies.

7. Markswift2003

Long short and tall, it's how it's encoded.

"Auto" should work fine and choose the correct luminance range too, but belt & braces I like to set it discretely.

If you chose 0-255 you'll get an elevated black floor (display then starts at 0 but the video starts at 16) and clipped whites (display ends at 255 but video stops at 235).

The nomenclature of 16-235 is used universally for simplicity but relates to 8-bit encoding - for 10-bit video (eg UHD BD) it's actually 64-940 (full range being 0-1024).

8. Derek Martin

Derek Martin New Member

Nowpe. My understanding is that auto-tone mapping actually ignores how it’s encoded and creates its own HDR data on a frame by frame basis. At least, that’s how JVC describes their implementation for their NX series of projectors.

9. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

i have a related question. z9s allows adj in brightness, contrast, saturation, etc. can this be by-passed? or default setting will automatically mean no adjustment?

10. Markswift2003

Luminance range has nothing to do with tone mapping & HDR.

11. Markswift2003

Leave at the default setting of 32 and that is effectively passthrough.

12. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

thx mark. good to have someone who knows. i hve reset it back to the default.