UHD3000: SMB shares expired

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Netmask, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Around every 3 or 4 months my SMB shares from my NAS are marked Expired in the Zidoo. Easy enough to restore by doing a SMB rescan in MediaCenter File Manager. Is there a way to prevent the shares expiring and is that done in the NAS, the router or the Zidoo? Is it desirable to do so if that’s possible ? Not a major problem just causes a moment of panic and then back to normal…

2. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Is there maybe a setting on your Qnap? Can’t remember SMB expiring for me on neither my Qnap or my unRaid NAS.
    Btw you don’t need to put UHD3000 in the title, they all use the same SDK ;)

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I've never heard of shares "expiring" - DHCP leases can expire, passwords maybe, but not shares.

4. Netmask

I should have made a screen capture but that is what the message said. It’s happened twice before roughly about 3 to 4 months.

5. Markswift2003

You're not using DHCP for the NAS IP address are you?

Netmask likes this.
  6. Netmask

Yes.

expired.JPG

7. Markswift2003

Ah - DHCP should only really be used for transient devices - phones, tablets etc..

For some reason, it looks like your router may be renewing the DHCP lease every so often - maybe a router reset?

You should always set a fixed IP for devices like these (make sure it's not being used by another device and not in the DHCP range).

An alternative cheaty method is to assign a "static" DHCP address using the MAC address - in this case, in the router, you specify a particular DHCP IP address to be assigned to the Zidoo's MAC address and that would be in the DHCP range. This means that whenever the DHCP lease is renewed, the DHCP server still assigns the IP address, but it always uses the same one.

8. Netmask

CORRECTION: I doubled checked my settings in the R7000 router and I did set up fixed addresses for all my devices including the Zidoo. I clearly need a bit of housekeeping as there are a number of devices listed long gone. Funny how life gets in the way of keeping an eye on everything! Time to reorganise things methinks... Attached the list - Samsung TV long gone! and a few others... Fixed addressesX.JPG

9. Netmask

Again this morning we are expired! Last night to deter my Tuxedo cat from sitting on top of the 3000, its warm you know! I switched it off. This tactic worked, however when I turned it on this morning the shares from the QNAP indicated expired. A rescan restores. Normally I leave the 3000 on 24/7 and only do a deliberate and quick reboot every now and again.

10. Markswift2003

So it looks like some odd behaviour from your router and the DHCP lease - what you've done there isn't a static IP, it's just reserving the IP address so the DHCP server in the router is still allocating it so there must be some odd way it doles out and rescinds the leases or maybe a lease time is set.

This might be a switch in the router somewhere but it also looks like to may have allocated some IP addresses outside of the DHCP range - because DHCP is generally used for transitory devices, you always use only a small IP range - this will be set in the router somewhere - eg on my network I use 192.168.0.150 to 192.169.0.200 since although I have over 100 clients, very few are on DHCP.

What I'd do is check the DHCP range and adjust as necessary - maybe go 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200 and then change the allocations that fall outside that range in the allocation table you show above (and reboot those devices so they grab the new IP address).

But as far as the Zidoo goes, I would set a proper fixed IP address so that the Zidoo tells the router what IP address it will use rather than vice versa.

To do this, set DHCP to off in the Network settings and enter the following:

IP Address: 192.168.0.18 (just using the IP address you allocated which is now outside the DHCP range)
    Router Address: 192.168.1.1 (I'm assuming that's what it is, but check and adjust as necessary)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (basically means the subnet is defined over the last octet only - the last number in the IP address)
    DNS: 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS - reliable and easy to remember)

Now, as long as 192.168.18 isn't allocated to another device, and this is a fairly safe bet as it looks like you only use DHCP and we've changed the DHCP range)

I'm a bit anal about network management - as I say, I have over 100 clients so I use specific ranges for specific types of devices (PCs, switches, Crestron, NAS etc etc) and keep a text file showing all the IP addresses and relevant port information so I don't get duplicates and can also find any device. Also programs like Advanced IP Scanner are incredibly useful.

Personally I'd set static IPs (outside the DHCP range!) for all your devices bar the iPhone and the iPad.

Netmask likes this.
  11. Markswift2003

I'm sure you know this, but just for completeness, the Zidoo refers to the Router Address as "Gateway".

12. Netmask

@Markswift2003 I’ve been poking around a Netgear forum on lease time and it appears some models are fixed at 1 hour rather than 24 hours. Now my sequence of events seem to support this view, I can reboot the Zidoo and nothing has expired. I go to bed around 11pm, turn off Zidoo to deter Panda-cat from sitting on it. I wake up at 5am ( I have never needed more than 5 or 6 hours). That’s 5 hours off and shares are expired.
    I’ll conduct an experiment turning it off for 40 minutes and check then for 90 minutes and check. Maybe a recommendation for a replacement for my R7000?

13. Markswift2003

Honestly - just use a static IP address and all this goes away...

14. Netmask

That’s what I have done in the R7000. What they call reserved is the way you set up static addresses according to their manual and several YouTube videos.

15. Netmask

The settings you quote for a static IP in the Zidoo is what is already there,
    IP Address: 192.168.0.18 (just using the IP address you allocated which is now outside the DHCP range)
    Router Address: 192.168.1.1 (I'm assuming that's what it is, but check and adjust as necessary)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (basically means the subnet is defined over the last octet only - the last number in the IP address)
    DNS: 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS - reliable and easy to remember)

when you switch off DHCP.

16. Markswift2003

No, that's not technically a static IP address, it's just reserving the address using the DHCP server - so the server doles out the address and you tell it which address to dole out to which MAC address - Rather than the client (Zidoo, PC etc) telling the router what IP address it will use. Using Address Reservation you're still at the whims of the DHCP server.

Admittedly it works if setup properly - I actually have several clients (Logitech Squeezeboxes) which oddly do not have the ability to set a static IP address so in those cases I use DHCP Address Reservation and that's worked flawlessly for many years.

But as I say, it's a cheaty method and not very elegant (imho) - I much prefer to set it properly.

Ok - maybe they pre-populate - I've never tried DHCP on the Zidoo and then turned it off ... So as long as you've changed the DHCP range in the router as I suggested, so that that address isn't in the DHCP range, just leave DHCP switched off and you're good to go.

If you don't want to adjust the DHCP range, check what it is and pick an address for the Zidoo outside of it.

Netmask likes this.
  17. Netmask

@Markswift2003 Finally did it last night. My DHCP range is now 2 ~ 200 and I moved both my Beyonwiz PVR/Media player and the Zidoo above 200. Turned off DHCP in both and set up as fixed? or defined IP's. Powered off the Zidoo at 2300 and back on this morning at 0600 and all was well. Thank you. PandaCat is not impressed - Amazon has an order for a small electric cat blanket!

Markswift2003 likes this.
  18. Media Freak

Media Freak New Member

I had the same issue with my qnap. Strangely enough, creating a specific account for the Zidoo with a login and password instead of an anonymous account fixed it. I had my movies as public Read Only before. I have the Zidoo account read only access and it accessing things fine with no expiry now.

edit: I’ve always had mine with static IPs