Trying to add 5 Drives from PC over SMB - Need Help

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by B0RN, May 25, 2023.

1. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Can someone help me with setting up SMB on Z9X - I am half way there but not quite.

So I have a 5 bay enclosure connected to my PC and have the SMB running on there. I then shared the individual drive's root folders and put those folders onto the Media Player's share section. I turned off all security and made empty folders on all root directories of all drives as well. I then started selecting the drives on Z9X and added them to scan. I have been able to scan and play from 3 drives.

Issue is when I select the other two drives, as soon as I make the selection, it says Password or User Name is Incorrect. I then select the Anonymous option and click OK and I still get the same error. Oddly, its one of the drives I was able to add previously. So, am I still missing something in settings or is there maybe a limit to only 3 drives being SMB'd over PC?

Any help is appreciated! I also tried NFS and that has its own issues.

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Only use the reverse myself daily. The 5-slot enclosure is connected to my player(s) and setup as SMB server. Once tried connecting 12-drives and that worked too. Also an Eject per drive works just fine. An USB-switch is used to automatically connect to up to 4 players (2x Zidoo, Dune and OPPO). Also that works flawless.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
    B0RN likes this.
  3. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

DAMN, what switch is that... I have one but it wont recognize more than one drive on the Oppo while it shows all 5 on Z9X. So I thought i'd try SMB.

Also, what enclosure do you have. I just bought the Sabrent 5 Bay and it does not like my USB Switch. I also had an Orico 5 Bay but that thing was cooking my drives like an Oven.

4. Nice Monkey

It is a Delock switch and the Icy Box IB-3805-c31 enclosure. Both not cheap but work perfect.
    The Icy Box is quick loading with individual On/Off switches which I do use too to minimalize noise. No heat problems.

B0RN likes this.
  5. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Okay as far as IcyBox goes, I think I am perfectly in line with you cuz its IDENTICAL to my Sabrent!
    Only trouble is the USB switch - I cant seem to find a delock that's USA compatible or have a USB A connection, they all seem to be USB B? Do you have a link to the one you have?

Check Sabrent here and you'll think its your unit: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Tray...07-9f53-e174bf027ab6&pd_rd_i=B07Y4F5SCK&psc=1

6. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Also, is your delock compatible with the Oppo, thats the device that doesnt recognize all my Drives via Switch... Zidoo is perfectly fine reading all drives.

7. Edworld

Edworld Member

If you could explain exactly how you have your setup I would greatly appreciate it. I have a mediasonic currently connected to a windows pc HaneWIN server and have zidoo and dune boxes.

Also the delock specific model you have

Thanks

B0RN likes this.
  8. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

How do you like the MediaSource? I am eyeing that 8 Bay enclosure with 3.0 USB and it doesn't need to be fast just need to be cool and silent running.

Reviews arent the greatest at 3.8 though - https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-P...mzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

9. Edworld

Edworld Member

Definitely not quiet but reliable, I have the 8 bay and the 4 bay and they work well no issues in windows environment.

I also had and returned because of constant disconnects.
    https://www.amazon.com/Syba-Swappab...locphy=9016077&hvtargid=pla-665695313955&th=1

10. Nice Monkey

Yes my OPPO sees all drives too with that setup. Yes that "SABRENT USB 3.2 5 Bay 3.5" SATA Hard Drive Tray Less Docking Station (DS-SC5B)" looks like an IcyBox to me for 4-slot, 5-slot and 10-slot models. Also have such 10-slot unit but not used at the moment.
    This was made before the 5-slot unit became available and changed habits not populating all slots constantly.

No none of these dockings are really silent. The 10-slot unit was case modded by me with fan controllers. Also had before a box similar to the Mediasonic 4-slot labeled with another name. It worked well with no disconnects but noisy and no quick loading nor power switches.

Be sure to use good USB3 cables/connectors as that is the most common problem with disconnects (only USB 3c is somewhat better and 3-micro the worst).

The switch is labeled Delock USB-3 Data Switch (=4-port USB3B). So you need those old USB3B slave port cables to connect the players with.
    https://www.delock.com/produkt/87724/merkmale.html

B0RN likes this.
  11. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Thats great. I will check out the switch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPLR3JRY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
    ^ This dock worked great with ORICO 5 Bay enclosure but ORICO runs extremely hot so had to return it and now trying Sabrent.

12. Nice Monkey

Oh yes my OPPO runs customized FW to also play ISO/Folders from USB drives or NAS.

13. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

PS, im only seeing the 4 to 1 switch... we'd need something with two inputs for two diff. devices.

Edworld likes this.
  14. Nice Monkey

Please explain.

The switch will even connect a 10-slot docking to 4 hosts. One can be your PC and 3 media players. Obviously only one device to be powered on at the same time for automatic connection (USB power driven) but there is a manual switch for concurrent connections (never used by me). I connect my PC to the SMB server of the one player being active.

15. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Hmm we may be missing something in the process then. I am reading your chain and connections but am quite confused. @Edworld what do you make of it?

I have the Sabrent 5 bay enclosure connected to the USB switch input 1 of 4. Then I have one output connected to Z9X and one output connected to Oppo. The switch then switches itself depending on which device is ON at the moment or goes to sleep if both devices are off. Problem is, my Oppo will only read one of the 5 HDDs in the Sabrent enclosure.

Let me reread your post and see if I can work out your process.

16. Edworld

Edworld Member

The way I understood it is that nice monkey has his icebox connected to the switch using male to male usb cable and then the output of the switch to his zidoo box.

17. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I think that's whats happening as well... the one connection to the IcyBox and 4 "inputs" going out to different media players.

This is either Genius/Insane and oddly working or I am using my switch all wrong LOL

18. Nice Monkey

Guys this is a Switch and a not a Hub. Switches were made originally to connect shared peripherals to a number of PC"s. They called them KVM's (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) switches. These days we use network WOL for booting but they still can be found.

The single Output Host port is connected with an ordinary device matching USB3 cable to the USB shared device being the USB docking station.
    The 4 Input ports are connected with USB Host-A/Slave-B cables to the 4 device USB Host ports. USB host ports deliver 5V so the switch uses that power for its operation and also switches automatically to the one giving power. It then connects that specific Input to the sole Output port going to the shared device.

Use a hub in-between that Output and you can even connect multiple devices in one go. So switching 40 HDD's in one go could in fact work too? That is what I call a real NAS but now extremely flexible fully plug&play at fraction of the costs.

19. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Ill read your post carefully but in the meantime this is the switch i have.
    I have Z9X and Oppo connected to the 2 outputs and Sabrent to the one Input. Not sure if this is wrong.

Attached Files:

20. Nice Monkey

What you have is a 4-port USB Hub combined with a 2 port Switch into a single box.
    Not the thing I would use for this purpose but obviously you can use it to connect your docking to 2 media players.

The connection you made seems correct. I read that the switch is operated manually using its button only?

No idea why the OPPO sees only one HDD using this one. But be aware the HDD is multiple device internal requiring some USB awareness of that too. So here you are cascading multi-device USB functionality. An OPPO is a pretty dumb device in OS sense.

Swapping the Switch will do the trick. Warning: It does not come with those USB3 A-B cables for 4x input. I had plenty unused from canibalized USB External HDD drives.

B0RN likes this.