Time shift

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by Bopper, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Bopper

Bopper New Member

Will this new box have time shift?

Will it have the same HDMI In app as X9?
    Can it be programmed to record multiple recordings unlike the X9?

2. Timeshift will be the big turning point for me between satying with my X9 and buy a new X9S

3. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

see this demo. at 1:30 . is that what you refer as timeshift ?

4. papiguy

papiguy Member

May be I did not fully understood the demo, but its does not show time shift, but how to use PIP and recording while PIP is shown.
    Timeshift function gives the following possibility:
    - while watching TV channel through HDMI In, stop watching to do another thing away from the TV screen
    - while away, the system records the TV channel.
    - back in front of the screen, the file which has been recorded can be played while the recording is still working.

This is possible when the system is able to record and play the same channel, having enough available memory to do that.

5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Playback should be full screen without PIP (recording) getting in the way. Per definition Time Shifting is concurrent recording and playback using a single common file, which has a range of resource requirements for both the underlying hardware and software. Obviously the recording format must be TS (Transport Stream) which is the default here already.

Time shift is also a popular way to skip the commercials by delaying the start of the viewing on purpose. Many people use Time Shifting and it is likely that it is used even more frequently than actual recording? Hence it is an important feature. Small warning: using a Set Top Box (or build in TV feature) the Time Shifting is absolutely quality lossless for both audio and video but here it is re-encoded always.

The good news is it potentially could work for any content from HDMI-IN. The bad news thus far is that I could not read anywhere that Time Shifting is supported or planned for.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  6. Bopper

Bopper New Member

The good news from the youtube clip, is that you can schedule multiple recordings. I can't do that with my X9.

But time shift would be a nice feature too...