status dolby vision functions

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by smartbrother, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Here you go - 1500 - 10000nit EDIDs for sh*ts and giggles :)

Attached Files:

2. afss

afss Active Member

oh, thanks for the clarifications - I thought it was the other way around.

I would greatly appreciate if you could generate a 1500nit EDID for me to experiment with.

Thanks again for all the help Mark !

3. Markswift2003

Yeah, it's kind of counter intuitive. Have fun!

4. afss

afss Active Member

That was quick ! Awesome, thanks again.

5. Markswift2003

Easy when you know how ;)

6. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

Current status of DV support with V 6.0.45:
    MKV FEL videos are played as HDR, some videos with black screen, after which it is necessary to restart the device.
    MKV MEL videos play in DV but start to stutter after a few minutes.
    MP4 DV videos are played as HDR.
    The green screen as in V 6.0.35 is gone, otherwise nothing has changed.

What I do not understand, the only thing that fundamentally differentiates the new models from the old ones is Dolby Vision support.
    If Zidoo manages to get it going, sales will increase. But when I read the changelog, Zidoo prefers to work with "important" topics such as HDMI IN, image player, music player, picture manager than with DV and VS10 engine.

Do we have to wait for improvements in DV support or that is all?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    DennisTheMenace and Trimonium like this.
  7. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

I think it's a waiting game for now, yes. I'm sure the techies are busy with FW improvements as we speak. For better DV support and for other matters, I hope.

Being oldskool myself, I would expect something to work properly out of the box. Nowadays, with a lot of consumer electronics running on DIY flashable firmware, it's another ball game, I'm afraid.

With newer developments like DV I do understand that new issues have to be dealt with.
    What I don't get is that how on earth older and in the past already solved issues - with players from the same company - must pop-up again. And thus have to be solved again. It seems to me as chasing dragons that have already been slayered. But hey, that's me.

I guess these things are all in the price. In general, they have dropped dramatically. I remember buying my first VCR for an amount of money that would get you a decent car nowadays.

Ich&Ich and Trimonium like this.
  8. Goodmorning everyone,
    beyond that there may currently be incompatibilities with some TV or VPR, I can only refer you to my experience:

I have a Sony KD-65XE9305 TV which is HDR10 and Dolby Vision, but if I activate the DV10 engine, the black rises quite a bit, tests carried out on various contents and all made with colorimetric probe and calibration software.
    Now, quite frankly, with this problem its blacks, as far as I'm concerned, I can't use The V10 Engine ........
    We will see with the next Firmware: now only on 6.0.35 ..... (Indeed, some seem to have found themselves well with the 6.0.45, others not. According to you, I should do the ugrade, or the 6.0.45 doesn't improve the situation much?)
    Good day to all and thanks for the passion you put into doing things, Andrea.

9. afss

afss Active Member

Hello, just sharing my conclusions.

I have experimented with those EDIDs and have settled on the 1500 NITs one, which seems to provide the best balance of less clipping and good overall brightness.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  10. Markswift2003

Interesting - after our conversation I've come to the same conclusion.

11. afss

afss Active Member

My primary 4K player is an HTPC with MADVR - the Dynamic Tone Mapping that it does, converting to SDR BT2020 is much better than anything else I have seen on my JVC projector.

But I have to say the V10 engine on the Z10 Pro, associated with LLDV (1.500 nit EDID) comes close to 85% of the MADVR solution. It is that good in my oppinion ! So, I have the Z10 Pro as my second player now, as HTPC is a solution full of headaches...

12. Markswift2003

What I like about the VS10 implementation of LLDV in the Zidoo - unlike other sources I've tried, with both SDR and HDR10, the image looks natural and not overbaked. Also, with our projectors it means you can squirt everything out in the same format so reducing those resyncs.

Black floor pedestal is very slightly raised in LLDV but unnoticable for real world content and could easily be calibrated out if needs be.

It's a shame that the same can't be said of VS10 HDR and SDR - they both have a much more elevated pedestal (particularly SDR) and I think it'd be interesting to try VS10 SDR on an even playing field - black floor notwithstanding, the actual tone mapping looks very good.

13. afss

afss Active Member

I fully agree that the performance of VS10 with LLDV is outstanding, even compared with a well regarded player like the OPPO 203, picture it is much much better on the Z10 Pro. I had to deal with slightly off black/white levels, but once you calibrate, things are OK.

14. afss

afss Active Member

BTW, I have placed this question on another thread, but in case Mark (or somebody else) knows the answer. How can we find out what the player is actually doing, while using LLDV ? I mean, I think I have properly converted a MEL DV bluray to MKV, and when I play it back on the Z10 pro, I am unable to verify if the conversion was sucessfull and the player is actually using the DV data on the file, or if it is simply treating it as HDR10.

On the OPPO 203, for instance, the info window shows how the source file is being interpreted as (DV, HDR10, SDR). Maybe there is a way somewhere to verify what the player is doing on the Zidoo as well.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  15. Markswift2003

This is something I'm a bit unclear on too - As far as I know, the player natively supports Profiles 5, 8 & 9 which are all single base layers plus RPU (Reference Processing Unit = metadata interleaved in the video stream).

But as we know, Profile 7 encoding is now leaning more towards MEL than FEL and with the Enhancement Layer omitted, that is simply a standard 10-bit HDR10 stream with a Dolby RPU interleaved (plus HDR10 SEI for backwards compatibility).

So when VS10 is playing out P7 MEL it's either HDR10 with HDR10 SEI converted into P5 or it's HDR10 with Dolby RPU converted into P5 which would basically be a colour map from BT.2020 to IPT since the RPU is the same for both. It all comes down to how the PQ curve is produced on the output - in other words, the tone map.

Unless of course you do as we are doing and introduce BT.2020 primaries in the Dolby block in the EDID, in which case there's no colour map needed so nothing really changes.

I'd like to think it's the latter but as always Dolby are playing their cards very close to their chest and I can't find any technical docs regarding how VS10 deals with this but it would make sense that the RPU is used.

16. afss

afss Active Member

Thanks again for the detailed reply Mark ! Let's keep sharing findings over here.

17. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

The new method on makemkv forums is experimenting converion to profile 8.1,
    If Zidoo fixes the LG problem I would be prepared to a lot of conversions and and comparisons against the Shield,Oppo,Firestick as I own them all.

Reza-D, Tomasek and Bill-Z9X like this.
  18. Markswift2003

The devs are on holiday at the moment (Chinese National Day) but I'll see if I can get any info after they're back on the 9th.

19. Tomasek

Tomasek New Member

I tried a new method of profile 8.1. The film plays Dolby Vison beautifully, but after a while it cuts the picture, but the sound still plays well. I tried mkv and ts.

20. I, I give my opinion .............

After several tests, I managed to get a decent Black Clip with the DV 10 Engine ...
    But I have compared bits of UBD movies between normal HDR and DV10 Engine: for now, from what I can see, normal HDR wins hands down ...

Now, I haven't tried 1080p content, I'll see what happens .....

What I don't understand is: either that the processor of the TV (Sony KD-65XE9305), is more performing than the Z9x (it is known that that type of processor, Sony also does an internal upscaling, both with HD content and with UBD content), or I need to improve the calibration .......

Good evening to all of you, Andrea.