status dolby vision functions

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by smartbrother, Aug 30, 2020.

1. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

Sorry but this is not true, i own one,(a shield and an z9x) and with the custom ExoPlayer installed i can play mel and fel mkv profile 7 files, with dolby vision, without reysyncs, black and green screens.
    And like i said MEL and FEL with Dolby Vision on my lg c9 oled

2. snapo6

snapo6 Member

So there is hope for us.

3. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Yes and no, the Shield isn’t selecting the correct color space with FEL mkvs, (in my opinion some MEL titles as well), the Shield devs have reputed it to Dolby... why I don’t know???
    Most people on Makemkv forum don’t expect there to be a way to do FEL from mkv with the correct color space.

I have 2 Shield pro, Zidoo Z9X and an Oppo Clone, the Oppo clone is by far the most accurate picture output on both my TVs, C7 and C9.

4. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

Sure the shield has different problems and is still a work in progress like the Zidoo. My point was that it's not an option for perfect Dolby Vision playback at this time it's a bit misleading to represent it that way when there is a huge thread at makemkv of people saying the colours are wrong.

DaMacFunkin likes this.
  5. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

Jep ok, right colors or not, I would be really happy if my z9x can play this files like my shield,
    But like I said I get resyncs, black screens, green screens........
    Damn I would be happy if it would play this files correctly only with hdr10
    But right now if I like to watch one of this remuxes I made with makemkv I always have to use my shield

Sorry for my bad English

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  6. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

I have now tested MKV DV function with 11 films on Panasonic TV:

2 MEL play good DV, but schuttery after a few minutes
    3 MEL sometimes green screen, sometimes good with DV
    4 FEL play good HDR
    2 FEL always black screen, then just restart, otherwise nothing can be played. Black screen in any mod. Another Player can play the files without problems.

MP4 with DV play good as HDR

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  7. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

MEL mkv goes stuttery after a few minutes

Bill-Z9X likes this.
  8. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

Yes that's true

9. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

given current gen of tv panels are 10 bit, curious how much difference in picture quality u can see between mel and fel

10. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

a general question on DV. if a TV is capable of decoding DV info (i know some aint), couldnt the player just pass through whatever on the disc/file to the tv? player manufacturer just need to pay dolby some license fees and call it a day? or at least this can an option for the end user to choose (like dts audio).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  11. DaMacFunkin

No, true profile 7 from a UHD blu-ray is a dual 8 bit stream in a wrapper that is tunnelled to the TV.
    Players wIthaca appropriate Dolby hard ware or Dolby licensed code can’t process the stream this way, that is why there are other Lighter Profiles and or LLDV but the conversion is not always accurate, The profile conversion is basically a watering down of the standard to allow it to run on under specced Sony TV’s this has now spread to Media Players who had the capability to stream Dolby Vision as per their licence but now it seems can back door the lighter profile.
    It still isn’t accurate though.

P.S. Dolby have always said they won’t licence Profile 7 for a media player, or support Dolby Vision from MkV.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  12. JS_racer

JS_racer Member

say, for a DV tv, is auto or dv the better option ?? hdr intention, overall video quality, things like that. the menu and gui is blazing in DV, compared to auto, for sure, but if the video quality is better, it might be worth it.
    will hdr or hdr10+ benefit being converted to DV ??

currently using auto, thanks. tv is a 75x950g sony

13. Genadi

Genadi Member

Does anyone have this problem when playing Dolby Vision? With Lg55uh8507... information is for 1080p HDR 10 8 bits bt2020! and the TV recognizes it as a Dolby Vision. When I automatically set it to Frame rate and resolution, throws me in the menu and plays only sound!?!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  14. smikalo

smikalo New Member

Hi,
    after my Dolby Vision exams
    - Zidoo Z9x ----- TV LG OLED55E9 ------ SoundBar SL9YG
    - mkv -
    DV - 2160p - 60 Hz - OK
    DV - 2160p - 50 Hz - OK
    DV - 2160p - 30 Hz - does not work properly
    DV - 2160p - 25 Hz - does not work properly
    DV - 2160p - 24 Hz - does not work properly
    DV - 2160p - 23 Hz - does not work properly
    HELLO

Smikalo

15. DaMacFunkin

Hi, you have an a LG TV, Zidoo hasn’t worked correctly with LG since day one, there has been no acknowledgement from Zidoo about the problem either.

16. afss

afss Active Member

I have an HDfury device (linker) and have been sucessfully using the following chain: Z10 Pro -> HDfury -> Denon 7200WA -> JVC RS540. LLDV has been working really well, provided you properly adjust black/white levels on the projector.

I have a custom BT2020 LLDV EDID which I obtained on the AVSForum and that I have uploaded to the HDfury Linker, but I would like to experiment different max/target NITs.

Please, does anybody have (or can point me to) multiple BT2020 LLDV EDIDs with different target/max NITs for me to upload and try different results, it would be greatly apreciated !!

Thanks in advance !

17. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I can tell you from experience that 1000nit is the ideal and that ties in with the Profile 5 spec (as long as you match the gamma curve).

If you set tMaxPQ in the Dolby Block beyond the movie MaxCLL then you will seriously clip chroma - for example, if you have a 1000nit movie and use a 2000nit Dolby Block, you clip chroma, and the higher the value the worse it is.

Here's a quick and dirty example - this is a 1000nit pattern with a 4000nit Dolby Block:

cap.jpg

Nasty.

But if you want to have a play, let me know what nit values you want to try and I'll knock up a couple of EDIDs.

18. Markswift2003

Here's a few:

200, 400, 600, 800 and 1000nit

Attached Files:

19. afss

afss Active Member

Awesome, thank you very much ! I was thinking using a lower nit LLDV EDID may lead to increased brightness on projectors - will give it a try just to experiment with it :)

20. Markswift2003

No, it's the other way around - higher nits in the Dolby block leads to a brighter image but as I say, you have to be careful about clipping, hence 1000nit is a good all rounder.

I'll knock up a couple of higher ones for you to try out - maybe 1500 would be worth looking at, and to be honest I haven't tried any real world footage with higher values, just the test patterns which are arguably a bit of a torture test.