some noise between each track

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X20 PRO' started by amx006, Feb 11, 2019.

1. amx006

amx006 New Member

Hi all,

I have my X20 pro to play audio files (DSD, FLAC....etc) from my NAS, but I notice that there is a noise ("pak") between tracks.

I try to copy files to USB storage and find it is same.

May I know you have the same problem and anyway to resolve it, thanks.

PS: I use internal DAC in the X20 pro.

2. Sundaydriver

Sundaydriver New Member

Yes, it is very annoying, each time I have to mute the volume before I start to play a song, I'm afraid the "pop" sound could damages to the speakers if sometimes I forgot to mute the volume.
    I wonder why the told that they had solved the problem already in the released FW 2.1.22 beta as below:
    15.) Solve the problem that popping sound may appear when you enter the app for the first time playing music.

I also found that the base-noise of the player is poor, when the player switched on, we can hear the "gi...gi...gi" noise when you close the ear to the speaker, even there was nothing playing, so I don't think this player can meet to the Hi-Fi standard as the sell.

3. gymnos

gymnos Member

I have the same issue with X20, even when playing a movie.

4. zid2019

zid2019 Member

I have the same noise whan I use internal DAC, to play sacd iso, dsd or dff. Still have terrible scratches when I start ti play different tracks.
    Anoter bad thing is sacd.iso playback is almost unusable, some of the albums impossible to play. Almost everytime after a few track the the unit stop to work with sacd files, If IM lucky I can play
    2 or 3 tracks.
    Do you know something about what is Zidoo's standpoint about this? I chose X20 pro beacuse the internal DAC and play sacd files, but is it worth the waiting to solve this problem?
    (I use 2.1.3 fw)

gymnos likes this.
  5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

You could try to use "USB Audio Player Pro" instead till they get it all fixed which could take a long time seen the progress made thus far.
    It should find the internal DAC (via pseudo USB) too. I am sure they will refund if it is not working (neither an arm and a leg).

At least it never will produce noise between tracks as it plays truly gapless. :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  6. Sundaydriver

Sundaydriver New Member

Yes, this is totally disappointed for those hi-fi fans bought X20PRO due to the internal DAC for audio listening purpose. As Nice Monkey told, USB Audio Player Pro is an option, I’ve tried to connect to an external DAC, but sound quality is just average.

By the way, I don’t understand how to find the internal DAC via USB Audio Player Pro, can tell more? Thanks Nice Monkey.

7. zid2019

zid2019 Member

Thanks Nice Monkey.Maybe I would make a try.But are you sure USB Audio Player Pro working with Zidoo internal DAC? I dont want to buy an external DAC, if I bought X20Pro.
    And I also have to purchase the app.

8. Sundaydriver

Sundaydriver New Member

2019-03-28 17.43.17.jpg Hi zid2019, I've just tried the USB Audio Player PRO can working with the Internal DAC but only up to 48000khz sampling rate while playing a DSD 2.8Mhz files.
    Thanks Nice Monkey again.

zid2019 likes this.
  9. Nice Monkey

This is the same result as my Egreat A11 produces using its standard Music Player in combination with my external USB DAC. To my surprise it finds that DAC and uses the standard Android driver (=always 48kHz) with it (in parallel with HDMI output). That does neither sound special indeed which is no surprise (identical as via HDMI sharing ports on the same AMP).

Are you sure you disabled the preference for Android and enabled USB in settings?

When firing up USB Audio Player Pro it should come up with a message if you allow to use the USB port with it. If it does not then it does not see it. This player toggles USB and HDMI (read Android) outputs so HDMI output should be silent when the Audio Panel DAC is found.
    There is also a list of options for specific USB compatibility, tried those too? The seller is very cooperative to add supported DAC products and may be willing to help you?

I don't understand the remark about connecting an external DAC and still producing marginal SACD sound. A good external DAC with DSD output (screen should say USB DAC not Android) just should sound great. Mine does for sure! For standard CD's in MP3 the difference using PCM is minimal and only audible for quality recordings.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  10. zid2019

zid2019 Member

Sundaydiver, thanks for the info.So if the app play sacd at 48000Hz only, than Im not out of the water. :) I really hope Zidoo will do sthg very soon. There are more things with X20Pro
    what is not acceptable with an 800EUR unit. ( there is no flawless playback with 1080p,720p mkv files, even if I set the framerate manually, the system regularly not turning on, or off only if I use the backside switch etc, )

gymnos likes this.
  11. Nice Monkey

I suggest to back-out to FW 1 9.7 that one is very stable (except Music Player 3.0). All versions 2.1.x are unstable for me using my Z9S.

12. zid2019

zid2019 Member

I dont belive 1.9.7 has better audio playback.About the others, mkv playback and etc I can live with the issues till the next fw. I tested 2.1.4 and now back to 2.1.3 Everytime I must to rebuild HT catalogue,
    I dont want to go back to older fw-s.But thanks anyway. :)

13. Sundaydriver

Sundaydriver New Member

2019-03-28 22.23.16.jpg

Fixed, happy to tell now can play DSD with original sampling rate in native mode via internal DAC.

zid2019 likes this.
  14. Sundaydriver

Sundaydriver New Member

2019-03-28 22.27.43.jpg

Only need to select "HiRes direct driver" under Internal audio driver setting in USB Audio Player PRO.

gymnos and zid2019 like this.
  15. zid2019

zid2019 Member

Great news !Thanks! I cant wait to test with sacd.iso and dff.

16. Nice Monkey

Using the HiRes Android direct driver it can use the Zidoo provided HD Android audio drivers apparently which is good news. This setting is meant for many smartphones with HD Audio support (=HD DAC integrated). USB Audio Pro is still not finding the internal USB port and keeps working via Android.

Obviously a lot better than only Android 48 kHz as PCM works with it as it should up to 192 kHz (see Aaron Neville). :) It is now using PCM conversion at 24-bit 176.4 kHz for DSD (see Dire Straits) just like using HDMI output. See attachment Celentano for what you want to see: USB DAC DSD 2.8 MHz as output.
    So sorry to tell but partially solved only as SACD sounds a lot better using native DSD than via PCM conversion using the SABRE chip.:(

As Zidoo internal audio paths Analog out (via the Audio panel) and HDMI out share the same HiRes audio drivers one can compare directly the Zidoo internal SABRE DAC via Analog in with the DAC included into the AMP via HDMI in sharing the same AMP for both paths. Keep in mind that neither path supports DSD (yet).
    Zidoo Music Player 3.0 should be doing the same and in principle ought to produce the same sound quality as USB Audio Player Pro under these conditions. That is to say working flawless which it does not do right now (e.g. see post title). ;)

@Sundaydriver Did you also flip this switch for USB DAC support with USB Audio Player Pro?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  17. Sundaydriver

Sundaydriver New Member

Hi Nice Monkey, sorry for late reply because I had carried out a serious test for the different combination to find the best sound quality with X20Pro, I have Audioquest Carbon USB cable and an external USB DAC for the test.

The 1st test use default Music Player 3.0 and Internal DAC (can not plug in the USB cable),
    The 2nd test use USB Audio Player Pro and Internal DAC (can not plug in the USB cable),
    The 3rd test use USB Audio Player Pro and my external USB DAC connected to X20Pro USB 3.0 port with my AQ-Carbon USB cable,
    The audible results are "the 3rd"(the best)> "the 1st"(with pop sound) > "the 2nd"(solve the pop sound problem but sound just average).

P.S. No need to enable USB Audio Output setting in menu, USB Audio Player Pro would detect the external DAC perfectly. Just my personal opinion, Thanks!

18. Nice Monkey

Thanks for testing! :cool:

These results are all as expected including the P.S. and make a lot of sense to me. It is a real pity that the Internal DAC is not found. At least the pop problem can be bypassed and anyway gapless playback is very nice for live recordings. :)
    USB Audio Player PRO is also rock stable doing the SACD DSD ==> PCM conversion where Music Player 3.0 is not yet (specifically for SACD ISO and above all when MCH). Having an X20 PRO as is I recommend (temporarily) to add the USB Audio Player Pro APP with these findings. Both problems should be solvable by Zidoo though. ;)
    ONKYO HT player is a real alternative. It does even PCM ==> DSD conversions which sound remarkable well but that driver is not fully stable (stated as experimental).

I am a bit pessimistic about Zidoo adding DSD support to Android to get that working with the Internal DAC (plus HDMI) even using DoP (DSD over PCM). :mad:
    Maybe they can provide a fix for other APP's like USB Audio Player Pro finding the Internal DAC, that would already be a big leap forward? ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  19. zid2019

zid2019 Member

Thanks for the test guys!
    Can you help me with USB Audio player Pro?
    I have installed to X20Pro from usb stick.( with an apk file) How can I buy the full license in this way?
    Or I must use an android device to get the full app? And the UAPP control menu is also strange... i see only a narrow bar at the bottom of the screen.I dont see play/stop/next etc buttons.
    What do you think can I control the app through the Zidoo control surface ?

My result with UAPP is not the best, escpecially when I use RCA output to my Marantz receiver when play sacd.iso.The sound although better than hdmi, but through hdmi is more flawless, and continuous.

20. Nice Monkey

You need to go via the Google Play Store to buy the APP. You may do so using any other Android device as long as it uses the same Google Account.
    The license is linked to the account not the device. I use multiple devices but frankly never concurrently.

When installed correctly it should work perfectly, no noise, cracks or distortions what so ever. But obviously only after licensing.
    If you on the other hand use Zidoo Music Player 3.0 with SACD then the sound is far from perfect (worse for MCH SACD in ISO). Already reported so.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019