SMB Shares on Synology NAS Unavailable at start up

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Stibone, May 23, 2023.

1. Stibone

Stibone New Member

Hey all, having an odd issue. I have my Z1000 Pro wired to a gigabit switch and 2 Synology NAS devices hardwired to the same switch. Each NAS has multiple shared folders (i.e. 4K Movies, HD Movies, 4K TV, HD TV etc). All are accessed as sources via SMB. Sometimes when the Z1000 boots up, 2 shared folders show as unavailable. It's always the same 2 shares and the shares are located on different NAS boxes. Most of the time, they will eventually connect. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds, sometimes a couple minutes and rarely it fails to connect and I need to reboot. It's obviously very annoying when trying to watch a movie and the share in unavailable. So clearly it's not an issue with the Synology box because the 2 problem shares are on different boxes. All HDs in the Synology boxes are identical (WD Red NAS drives). Everything is hardwired and to the same switch. I have no issues access these shares ever from my AppleTV 4K or nVidia Shield Pro. Really stumped here as to why this is happening. Anybody have any ideas?

allisterfiend likes this.
  2. allisterfiend

allisterfiend New Member

I also have this problem with my synology nas. Everything will work fine for about a month or two, then suddenly it will stop recognizing the smb shares. I've had this problem for a while now and have not figured out why it does this. I do not have any issues accessing these drives from other sources. It is very frustrating as my only fix is resetting zidoo and going through the set up process again.

Stibone likes this.
  3. Stibone

Stibone New Member

Sorry to hear you’re having issues too. However, it’s a bit of a relief that I’m not the only one and that it’s not something to do with my setup. A user on another forum suggested using NFS because it was more stable. Going to try that and see if it’s any better. There does seem to be some reports of playback issues with NFS so hopefully that won’t be the case. I love my Zidoo player but if I can’t get this networking issue resolved it’s going back. Frustrating that nobody from Zidoo seems to care or bother or respond

4. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

I now have 4 WD My Cloud EX 2 Ultra NAS units hooked up via SMB for several years and with different generations of Zidoos.. from X9s to Z9s and now my Z9x and have never had any connectivity problems. Note, that these NAS units are considered anything but high end.... but indeed I have read multiple reports of weird things from people using Synology NAS units.. No idea why. Instead of just assuming that nobody from Zidoo seems to care on here, have you submitted an actual email to service@zidoo.tv to get it documented to them and see what they say? If enough people do that, maybe something positive will happen. Or, here is a thought.. how about reporting it to Synology support and see what they have to say?

5. Stibone

Stibone New Member

M
    Thanks for the tip, and yes, I have. When I have multiple other media players that connect flawlessly, every time, and have for several years, it becomes a bit easier to narrow the focus to the Zidoo as the culprit. As I mentioned, I've never once experienced this issue with any of my AppleTVs, my nVidia Shield Pro or my HTPC, which I used prior to purchasing the Zidoo.

6. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

What size TB capacity are your WD Red drives? Are they 6Tb or less? They are not Red Plus or Red Pro?

Could any of them be SMR drives? This could be part of your start-up access issue.
    https://nascompares.com/answer/list-of-wd-cmr-and-smr-hard-drives-hdd/

What RAID Setting are you using?
    I'd also check your Synology WOL (wake-on-LAN) settings and sleep Settings for drives?