SMB issue

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DiamondDog, Sep 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. gollygosh

gollygosh Member

THE PLOT THICKENS
    So I just created a brand new share on a new hard drive on my PC, once again ES File explorer on the Z9X could see it and so once again could ZDMC. So I added the new share in the same way as described above, with the same permissions, but this time the share did not show up????

So the method I used above was to an existing share that I already setup, before I had all the trouble, but this new share does not show up in HT4 or MC??

So does HT4 see the old path because ZDMC in some ways writes data to the same path, that HT4 uses?
    At this point I don't care, but if I figure it out, I will post what I work out here.

Keep in mind this all used to work just fine, but one day it just didn't????/

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Just to show how difficult it is to figure what's going on with your setup, I just did exactly the same.

Bear in mind I don't have ZDMC or ES Explorer (or anythng else for that matter!) installed.

I shared a folder on my main PC.

I opened Mediacenter/SMB, scanned the network, scrolled down to the network name of the PC and after entering credentials, that new share was there.

While I was viewing the list of shares on the PC, I added another share on the PC and hit refresh on the Z9X (Menu/Refresh) and that new share showed up as well.

So are you saying that after a scan you can open the PC network location but when you do you can't see the shares, or are you saying you can't even see the PC in MediaCenter/SMB?

3. gollygosh

gollygosh Member

I can see my PC in both HT4 and MC, I just can't gain access to the shared folders, I can click on my PC in MC via SMB and do a scan in any mode and all I now get is unknown error. I also have an older NAS hooked up and MC see's all the shares on that with no problems.

HT4 will see my PC over SMB and when I click on my PC it will ask me for my credentials, so I put them in (spinny wheel), but then the credentials box just pops up again. I try inputting the share directly - smb://192.168xxx/share folder name/ - nope wont even see it, but ZDMC and ES file explorer does. If I do a quick scan in HT4 and click on the IP of my PC - it say's Unable to access host.

I know how this is meant to work, because it used to, I'm lost, it's weird as one of the shares from my PC is showing up in HT4 but only after I added it via the ZDMC method I have described above, but the new share will not, even though I used the same method and all the usual methods to try to get it to show up.

I have other devices on my network including my mobile phone and using Xplore
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore&hl=en_GB&gl=US
    I can just scan SMB and straight away, no hassles, shares show up, no credentials needed, same thing with an Amazon Tablet using ES File explorer.
    Same with my Laptop, same with my Ipad.

I don't know, I used to be able to scan SMB and any shared folders would just show up like they are supposed to, but now they don't. I don't how to fix it, but for now I will just work around the problem, rather than banging my head against a brick wall.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  4. garu.386

garu.386 New Member

I can confirm described behavior. Zdmc or any external file manager have no issues with smb access - all shared folders on my windows 10 and windows 11 pc, after scan is done, are accessible (no credentials needed). Zidoo’s media center and home theater see smb systems but browsing always fails with incorrect user/password error (tried as admin, local user, ….). It is also true that after smb shares are configured in zdmc, they become visible/accessible also from home theater, for some period of time. This is clearly serious bug that has to properly fixed. It is quite possible that it is not reproducible on every PC. If developers need debug logs, let us know how to produce them.

gollygosh likes this.
  5. gollygosh

gollygosh Member

Thank God I thought it was just me and I was going crazy or it was something I was missing or unique to my setup, but I guess not. As someone else here has said, it might be something to do with the way the credentials are stored, but I gave up. I hope they fix this, because otherwise a major function of this box is useless.

6. The file transfer speed between pc and zidoo z10 pro is too slow over wifi(3mb/sec). My internet speed is more than that. Both the pc and box are near on the same table. What am i missing here? Should i turn off wifi on the box and connect it via ethernet directly to pc? In this way my pc can also share the internet via ethernet to the box ( like a hotspot). What is the fastest speed transfer? Kindly guide regarding fastest file speed transfer setup between pc and zidoo.

7. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

WiFi is always subjected to signal strength and interference. I would suggest that you get a WiFi analyzer app on your phone to test the signal at the device location.

In your case, the transmission always have to go through the wireless access point/router first between the two devices so it really doesn't matter if the two devices are on the same table. Ethernet will yield better result in most cases as it will eliminate the WiFi variables. Also, internet speed has no relevance for intra-network communications.

8. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

If you are able to connect by Ethernet then you should do that. WiFi should always be a last resort.

9. Thanks. I connected my box via ethernet. Now speed is 36mb/sec. Is it the fastest? Keep in mind i have external drive connected via usb port of box. Not using internal HDD. if i use internal HDD will the speed increase? Is 36mb/sec a usb port speed limit?

10. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

Are you using the USB 2.0 port and is the external drive USB 2.0? USB 2.0 is slower than 3.0 but still should be faster than 36mbps (and 36Mbps). Typical 5,400 rpm HDD read/write speed is 120 Mbps. The drive bay port uses SATA which is 3.0 Gbps. USB 3.0 and the internal drive bay have higher speed rating than the HDD itself.

11. gollygosh

gollygosh Member

Just thought I would add, that after upgrading the firmware to V6.3.60_G, I still have the same SMB issue. Also I got a WD 18TB Elements Desktop External Hard Drive - USB 3 - and nope it don't want to work with the Z9X in a normal way, (this is a known issue with large hard drives), but I still wanted people to know, don't buy an 18TB drive if you're thinking it will just work with the Z9X, it won't.

12. Having same issue i think. Cant access my drive D. When i open desktop-***** after accurate scan i see two folders, public and D. Pulic opens but D asks for credentials. In win i have disabled username/password in network sharing. Which credentials is it asking? Please help