Slow Scrolling Through Poster Wall, Jerky

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by JohnnyH, Feb 3, 2023.

1. JohnnyH

JohnnyH New Member

Hi Guys

Still trying to like this UHD3000 but at times finding it hard

The overall speed seem really slow, not snappy at all, the more films I add the slower the poster wall seems

Im storing images and database for the poster wall local on the unit itself but originally had the database remotely on my server.

I'm sure it seemed faster when on the remote server to scroll through the cover art ??

I noticed when copying the database from the server back to the UHD3000 it took ages, I enable the SMB server and copied back to the unit, boy it was slow and its all connected to a gigabit network

So using the UHD3000 as a share is very very slooow

as I said earlier I think this whole unit is slow and gutless for snappy performance

Is there anyway to stop the jerkyness and momentary lack of response on the poster wall when using the remote to scroll up and down when the films the images are loading, as I scroll down through pages of movies and cover art its so jerky, is it the different background images show when you stop on different films ???

can the blured background image be disabled to increase performance

Thanks in advance

actually by turning off the SMB server has speeded up a little when scrolling through the poster wall

I would discard this feature as running the SMB server hinders performance

I still think the unit performance wise is under powered !! I shouldn't be turning options off to improve performance, not on a unit of this price !

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

this is probably due to the weak Cortex A55 CPUs and by using 32bit OS mode it won't use all 4GB RAM on that unit, compared to Shield Pro with Cortex A57 (yeah it's old but performance cores) and 3GB RAM but uses 64bit and smooth UI, hopefully next boxes uses Cortex A7x cores with minimum 3GB RAM and 64bit OS, should be much smoother.

have you tried using Jellyfin? I find it OK, not as smooth at Shield but not too slow.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  3. Jordan Walker

Jordan Walker Member

This is disappointing to hear as I also experience very jerky and laggy performance on the poster wall. I only use internal HDDs (WD Red Pro 7200rpm) and have about 100 titles total, all Blu Ray and 4K Blu Ray Remux Rips. Any chance this could ever be improved or anything they could change to utilize the full amount of ram?

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

about RAM they could fix it by using 64bit OS but still you have the weak A55 cores that is the biggest weakness, even the Shield Tube with 2GB RAM and 32bit OS does have smooth UI thanks to the SoC.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  5. JohnnyH

JohnnyH New Member

Well I treated myself at Christmas, and don't think I have ever been so disappointed in a new purchase as the UHD3000

To be totally honest it gutless in performance slow and jerky would advise people to stay well clear

I'm think of getting rid of it, too slow and jerky for me ??

Why is nothing designed right ?? these are premium players with toy town processors

6. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

agreed, I got the Z9X as I don't need all the extra the more expensive options have, went from the Shield Pro and for me using only Jellyfin and IPTV I'm happy, but as you say it was a performance downgrade compared to the Shield but got better experience with playing my local 4K DV remux files.

7. Edworld

Edworld Member

@Gilgamesh

Can you recommend anything to increase the performance speed? I have 1,300 movies and it takes time to populate movies in HT4 or kodi.

I don't even want to add my tvshows for the same reason.

Maybe uninstall apps?

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

I don't know what setup you use behind HT4 or Kodi, but I'm using Plex or Jellyfin on the Zidoo with all my movies and tv shows stored on my unRAID server, performance is pretty good.

9. Edworld

Edworld Member

How many movies do you have?

10. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

about 600, and over 30 tv shows with all their episodes, but I have all the metadata etc on nvme ssd, so won't be a problem with double up the movies.

11. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Here is a video that shows how to improve the loading of posters, it’s not miraculous but it can be helpful..

See you soon

Deano86 and Edworld like this.