Similarities and differences between Zidoo & Zappiti ?

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by KaKi87, Aug 10, 2022.

1. KaKi87

KaKi87 New Member

Hello,

When looking up hardware & software information for my Zappiti Mini 4K device, many search results were leading to this forum.

When browsing this forum, people seem to indicate that Zappiti sells similar hardware and firmware to Zidoo but with inferior software and higher pricing.

Additionally, this forum helped me discover the existence of the firmware's web GUI, and I also stumbled on the fix for the aria2 server not starting at boot, which works.

So, what are exactly the similarities and differences between Zidoo and Zappiti ?
    And how is it that those devices include such features and manufacturers don't advertise them despite being so useful ?

As I download a lot of content from warez platforms, I checked before buying my device, that it is compatible with everything I'm used to : MKV, 2160p, x265, Atmos, DTS HDMA, 3D SBS, HDR, etc.
    But, a few days ago, I realized I missed Dolby Vision and VP9.
    Additionally, I just encountered an audio stuttering issue when playing from non-Zappiti apps (e.g. mpv, Spotify, etc.), which didn't happened before, but can't figure out.
    So, with enough convincing, I might just replace that device.

If I do, should I buy a Zidoo one ? And which one ?

More questions :
    - what kind of devices are those ? "multimedia players" ? "digital media players" ? "AV players" ? "AV amplifiers" ? "streaming media players" ? It's hard to understand the way specialized websites categorizes those.
    - why is aria2 much slower when downloading HTTPS than HTTP ? In my case, HTTPS = 10-20 MB/s while HTTP = 75-100 MB/s.
    - are those devices running Android TV or just customized Android ? I couldn't figure that out.
    - can those devices be rooted ? Or at least accessed via ADB ?
    - what launchers do you use ? The best one I found is ATV Launcher.
    - what video players do you use for HTTPS streaming ? On my device, I'm using mpv, because Zappiti software doesn't seem to support that feature, and VLC lags.
    - can apps that are not IR remote-friendly be fixed ?
    - why is there an "HDR -> SDR" option ? Isn't HDR better than SDR ?

Thank you for reading, I know I'm asking a lot and I might be adding more questions, because I'm very lost. xD

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    Alis likes this.