Seagate hard drive

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by drdwridav, Jul 13, 2017.

1. drdwridav

drdwridav New Member

Hi all,
    Having real trouble trying to use a Seagate Expansion 5tb usb hard drive with my x9s.
    It does not recognise any drive being connected, but is fine when connected to my PC.
    I tried partitioning it with a 3/2 split, and the next time I connected it appeared ok and I thought problem solved. So I unmounted to proceed to sort out all my cabling properly, put it back in expecting to sit back and watch a film, and no drive recognised again. It's formatted NTFS.
    Any help gratefully received!
    Thanks

2. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

usb 3.0 or sata ? NTFS GPT or MBR ? (GPT should be used ) . There should be no trouble with a 5TB, seen reports of 8 TB working just fine.

3. drdwridav

drdwridav New Member

Hi HaoSs. It's usb 3.0, NTFS GPT. I've even tried 5 partitions of 1 tb each. Still nothing shows.

4. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Seen a bug reported for usb 3.0 , no auto mount ( see if you can mount it from settings ), also test port 2.0

5. drdwridav

drdwridav New Member

Have tested port 2.0, still the same.
    Have also tested with another external hard drive (2tb lacie) which mounts fine.
    Can a I ask, how do I try to mount from settings? Is this advanced settings? I've looked at the usb/storage section and only internal storage listed there. Also no mounts on openwrt.
    EDIT: I'm on 1.4.6 firmware...

6. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

hm, the hdd is also not see in openwrt ? not sure what's up with that. my try a reflash and update to 1.3.0 , see if it works there ( 1.3.0 was stable with 3.0 usb hdd )

7. drdwridav

drdwridav New Member

Thanks for the advice HaoSs. Not sure I want to reflash as I have everything else working well in terms of 1.4.6 and zdmc 17.1. I've attached the drive via windows SMB and seems to be working ok, though it does seem to lose access to the folders sporadically and I have to reboot the zidoo.
    Can i also ask, could I just attach a bare sata drive like a Wd red straight to the sata port without an enclosure? Is it powered entirely by the sata cable or would it require separate power?
    Thanks

8. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

I'd recently attached a 1 TB 3.5" SATA HDD directly with the X9S provided cable without any issue. Perfectly powered. And mine is an old WD drive that becomes very hot, so it drains much power.
    (Now is no more connected, was an emergecy solution because my PC had video card brocken, so unusable to share files... now is repaired)

9. drdwridav

drdwridav New Member

Thanks both for you advice. I ended up finding another hard drive upstairs that works ok with the zidoo. I've had to swap over an entire hard drive content, but hey it works!
    Two quick follow ups:
    Is there any issue attaching two hard drives at the same time (either one sata/one USB) or two USB? I'd read this could cause issues with android devices somewhere.
    Also, any experience attaching a USB3 hub (unpowered) to the usb3 port? Would this work to allow multiple drives?
    Thanks, loving my box so far!

10. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

unpowered will work for keyboard, mouse, etc, for multiple HDD you need powered one
    also, seen tests on forum with 8+ HDD's attached with usb powered hub, you should be OK with multiple hdd's but don't expect speed to stay high if you use more HDD's at the same time

11. drdwridav

drdwridav New Member

Cheers Ha0Ss. So great to have quick replies on this forum! Do you think an unpowered hub would be ok if there were two hard drives attached that both had their own external power units? I'd just give it a go, but a bit concerned about data loss having spent so long getting the latest hard drive ready...but it's a TB smaller, so I'm going to need additional storage within a few months...

12. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

yes. if the drive has its own power you are good to go.