SACD ISO prblems

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by Carlton Kid, Jan 6, 2023.

1. Carlton Kid

Carlton Kid New Member

Still finding my way round my new Z9X and have been trying to add SACD iso's to the music player. When it does a scan it only detects the ISO as a single track and consequently won't match. Am I doing something wrong or is just bad design of the software. Also I can't find the correct naming convention for the files and folders for both music and video files. I have however had better luck with video files.

I was hoping that Zidoo would be a total replacement to my ATV and Nvidia boxes running Plex but that is fading fast.

2. Korvenwin

Korvenwin Member

I’m interested in this question if someone could help.

3. Carlton Kid

Carlton Kid New Member

The Zidoo Media Player does play the SACD ISOs which really is all I want it to do with multichannel playback although I am told I can play mch sacd rips to DSF via ROON but have yet to try it. The Zidoo media player is really badly designed player, glad I have ROON for all 2ch Stereo Playback.

Korvenwin likes this.
  4. Korvenwin

Korvenwin Member

I'm a Roon user too.

Now, only we need is to find a way to send from Roon server the DSD multichannel. It doesn't appear so easy as you can see at Roon Knoledge Base (sorry the forum doesn't allow me to post the link). Search for "Roon multichannel"

5. Carlton Kid

Carlton Kid New Member

Done a lot of research today and it’s not happening. The Zidoo Neo Alpha supports native DSD multichannel but ROON still converts to 2.0. ROON claims that it plays back what the player reports it is capable of so basically ROON blames Zidoo for the problems. On the face of it there appears to be only 2 ROON certified devices that are capable of Native multichannel DSD playback and they cost mega bucks. I can live with the Zidoo music player playing DSD converted to 176.4khz PCM but having a Quobuz subscription I wanted to explore the collection of multichannel available. Although the Zidoo music player is not the best it does at least read the file tags so be converting SACD ISO’s to DSF there is no need for trying to match the albums. All my stereo SACD rips have been converted anyway. I am going to get the Zidoo Neo S which hopefully will support ROON native 2.0 DSD playback but whether that will actually sound any different when played back through my Lyngdorf MP60 compared to using the DAC preamp in the Neo S remains ro be seen. Let me know if you find a solution.

6. Korvenwin

Korvenwin Member

I've been told today that the Chinoppo players, cheap Oppo clones loaded with the Oppo firmware, allows to select DSD native output via HDMI, so a AVR that allow DSD on HDMI should natively play this stream.

Although I like y Zidoo OS, I'm thinking to get a cheap chinoppo to test it and let the player only for this task. It sound promising.

7. Carlton Kid

Carlton Kid New Member

That really does sound good although not too easy getting your hands on one. The oppo 203 clone from what I found costs 365$ but I don’t know if that’s US or Hong Kong then there’s UK import duty and VAT. Where do you get the Oppo firmware from ? I will look into this more today but please keep me posted on your progress. It would be a far cheaper solution to the Zidoo Neo Alpha. Would ROON really see this clone device as a native 5.1 DSD device ,that’s a big unknown. From what I read yesterday part of the issue is to do with licensing due to copyright stuff.

8. Korvenwin

Korvenwin Member

Roon+Zidoo Neo Alpha could be de PERFECT solution if Roon see it as a Roon Ready with multichannel support. Too expensive the Alpha for me (2999 euros in Spain).

The Chinoppo is more afordable. In europe can be bought in the store salondigital.es at a reasonable price.

About the copyright, I suppouse it is an issue with SACD disks but not sure about DSD files.

9. Carlton Kid

Carlton Kid New Member

I agree about the cost of the Alpha. From other reading i'm not convinced that the oppo clone with ROON will support multi DSD ? I think I am going to get the Neo S half the price of the Alpha. At least on paper that will support Native DSD at 2.0. Playing back multi ISOs over my network with the Zidoo Music player in a Z9X gives excellent results, I only really want the ROON path for Qobuz 5.1 but thinking about that those streams probably won't be DSD anyway so may well play through ROON > Zizoo as 5.1. Something to look at today.

10. Korvenwin

Korvenwin Member

I agree that it is not very probable that Roon could stream to the Alpha. Take a look at the specs, because I think that the only one with DSD native support is Neo Alpha, not Neo S.

I'm thinking another option: An Onkyo AVR like TX-RZ50 or TX-NR7100 are HDMI-DSD compatible so could work paired with a chinoppo. What is more, Onkyo Controller o Play-Fi apps can stream from a NAS and from Qobuz...

11. Carlton Kid

Carlton Kid New Member

Ordered the NeoS in the end which according to the specs does support native 2ch DSD

"Native DSD passthrough. DSD support two-channel DSD512. PCM support two-channel 768KHz@32bit. CD 44.1Khz raw output at 44.1Khz"

Having done all this research I am not convinced that my Lyngdorf MP60 2.1 supports DSD over HDMI anyway. It should do for what it cost ! Anyway the Neo should be with me tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if the Neo is as good as my Auralic G1 and RME DAC combo which is better than the Lyngdorf alone. Lots of testing to do.

12. Korvenwin

Korvenwin Member

Please, keep us informed of your tests. I will try the other way: an Onkyo TX-RZ50 or TX-NR7100

13. Carlton Kid

Carlton Kid New Member

They are interesting receivers considering the relatively low price. From what I read they are ROON tested which usually means Apple Airplay. It depends whether you want an actual ROON RAAT endpoint or not. I have emailed Lyngdorf to find out if my MP60 supports Native DSD but as SACD is an old format now I doubt the Lyngdorf supports it. There are many people who say you can't hear any difference between Native DSD and converted to DOP at very high bit and sample rates. Had an email to say my NEO has been dispatched so I should get it tomorrow.

14. Korvenwin

Korvenwin Member

For Roon I use a NAD C399 Roon Ready... no problem, but it is not compatible with DSD.

The Onkyo is for Home Theather and music Multichannel with Onkyo Controller or Play-Fi, not Roon.

Anyway, I will wait your test of tomorrow. If it works, perhaps I could return my UHD3000 and get the Neo S.

15. Carlton Kid

Carlton Kid New Member

Didn't realise you had the 3000 which according to the specs supports Native DSD 2.0 the same as the NEO S. I am wondering if the Zidoo asks whatever it is connected to if DSD is supported and if not informs ROON of the fact. ROON then converts to PCM ? What do you see from ROON when playing 2ch DSF/DFF files ? What receiver is your 3000 connected to ?

16. Carlton Kid

Carlton Kid New Member

Well, what a day. Got the NEO S and what a pile of junk it is. Below is what I have have posted on futeko and will also post on the other forums that deal with Zidoo.

During initial setup and testing I have come across serious problems with the way audio is handled. The DAC and the HDMI audio cannot be enabled at the same time. If I turn on the DAC, listen to music all is fine. If I then switch to a Movie all is fine but if I then go back to music I find that the DAC has now been turned off. THIS IS CRAZY !!!! This situation means that every time I switch from music to movie I have to go back into settings to switch either DAC or HDMI audio. This is further compounded by trying to playback DVDs with both DD/DTS and PCM audio tracks, only one type can be selected because part of the hardware is switched off. I can't believe how anyone who owns a NEO S can live with this, I can't. I will subsequently be looking to return this for a full refund. Under the sale of goods act the NEO S is "Unfit for Purpose"

17. Korvenwin

Korvenwin Member

UHD3000 is Roon Ready so, suppousely, Roon knows perfectly what it can do.
    I'm sorry about your experiences with Neo S. I think that I've found the perfect solution.

If you check this link (use a translator if you don't speak spanish) https://foro.avpasion.com/t/reprodu...-oppo-203-y-oppo-205.2431/page-44#post-107381 you'll see that Chinoppo works like we want. I've just ordered a M9203 and I think that it is a perfect complement to the UHD3000. It delivers DSD native for $500.

Another idea in the thread is the use of Tidal Dolby Atmos Music with your AVR.

The hard (and almost impossible) way is Roon.

18. Carlton Kid

Carlton Kid New Member

From what I understand you already have DSD 2ch native to the 3000 . Even with the Chinoppo you won't get Native DSD in Multichannel, plenty of comments saying ROON won't output multi to oppo. You don't really need DSD over HDMI, at some point in the chain a DAC as to convert to PCM. At this time ROON is supplying Native DSD to the NEO just as it does to my Auralic G1 which acts as a bridge before passing the audio over USB at 32bit 768khz to my RME DAC, this is a total lossless chain. Checks show that the NEO S acts exactly the same but not needing the RME DAC and this to shows a lossless chain in ROON. I tried Qobuz multichannel through ROON but again Zidoo fails to signal multichannel to ROON so everything gets converted to 2.1 Do let me know if you do manage to stream multichannel of any description, I haven't read from anybody who has. I am going to try using Quobuz on one of my macs connected to the USB input on the NEO to see if that might be a route. In the meantime the NEO does output multichannel at 176khz 24bit over HDMI from the internal music player, what more could you want ?

I did find a button on the V10 remote for switching the DAC on and off on the NEO but playing DVD iso is still a nightmare due to the fact they contain multiple audio tracks which any Zidoo player with a separate DAC

19. Carlton Kid

Carlton Kid New Member

From what I understand you already have DSD 2ch native to the 3000 . Even with the Chinoppo you won't get Native DSD in Multichannel, plenty of comments saying ROON won't output multi to oppo. You don't really need DSD over HDMI, at some point in the chain a DAC has to convert to PCM. At this time ROON is supplying Native DSD to the NEO just as it does to my Auralic G1 which acts as a bridge before passing the audio over USB at 32bit 768khz to my RME DAC, this is a total lossless chain. Checks show that the NEO S acts exactly the same but not needing the RME DAC and this to shows a lossless chain in ROON. I tried Qobuz multichannel through ROON but again Zidoo fails to signal multichannel to ROON so everything gets converted to 2.0 Do let me know if you do manage to stream multichannel of any description, I haven't read from anybody who has from ROON. I am going to try using Quobuz on one of my macs connected to the USB input on the NEO to see if that might be a route. In the meantime the NEO does output multichannel at 176khz 24bit over HDMI from the internal music player, what more could you want ?

I did find a button on the V10 remote for switching the DAC on and off on the NEO but playing DVD iso is still a nightmare due to the fact they contain multiple audio tracks which any Zidoo player with a separate DAC

20. Carlton Kid

Carlton Kid New Member

Hi, can you tell me more about this Chinoppo, will it play any ISO format? Does it support SACD Mch, DVD-A isos? What was the cost in euros and how long will it take to come from HongKong. Think I am giving up with Zidoo. Are there any apps for controlling the M9203 and will it need any firmware update for it to play all the disc formats ? Regards