Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes - using VS10, for MKV profile 7 MEL, you'll get DV output (either LLDV or DV depending on EDID) and for FEL, you only get the HDR10 or HDR10+ base layer as there is no second HEVC decoder.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Alitas 7.06 Mel and outputs both DV and HDR10+"

You can't output DV and HDR10+ at the same time - you can of course chose either DV or HDR10+ depending on your HDR settings.

2. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

Hi, I got the Zidoo Z9X box since 1 week now. I've intalled the beta FW 6.0.66 and want to use it as replacement for my Nvidia Shield TV 2017. I'm using it cause I have a projector (Optoma UHZ65UST), and I use the HDFury Diva with the EDID LLDV trick. It work well with LLDV files. My problem is that I would like to use the option "VS10 Engine for SDR" but if I activate the "Auto Framerate and Resolution" the SDR upscale to LLDV looks really noisy and washed out, while if I switch to just "Auto framerate" it works well. I would like to able to switch resolution because I don't find the upscale of the Zidoo really good. I already have applied all recommended settings except the "Auto framerate" and "VS10 engine for sdr".

Could you please help me ?

My installation is setup like this : Zidoo Z9X --> HDFury Diva (EDID LLDV) --> Denon 3600h --> Optoma UHZ65UST (Cinemax Pro)

3. Markswift2003

Ok - so first thing to say is that I use the same LLDV trick but I leave the Zidoo set to LLDV only, so all material is output in LLDV. I have Auto Framerate and Auto Resolution set and all content looks correct in all resolutions/frame rates whether it's SDR, HDR or LLDV.

When you use "VS10 Engine for SDR" that enables the VS10 engine for SDR content only and all other content is set to pass through, but the processing for SDR is exactly the same as in my case above.

I just tested exactly as you describe - set "VS10 Engine for SDR" with an LLDV BT.2020 EDID. I used a couple of 1080p SDR movies I always use for testing so am very familiar with.

I tried playback with both Auto Framerate and Resolution set and also with just Auto Framerate only.

I'm afraid, I could see no difference whatsoever between the 1080p LLDV outputs using the two settings.

I assume that you have the Diva set to "Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV" to kick the Optoma into HDR mode?

The only thing I can think of, and this just a guess, is that the Optoma isn't designed to accept an HDR signal at 1080p (since you wouldn't usually expect such a signal) and therefore it's presenting the signal in SDR, hence the washed out look.

4. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

Thanks for the quick answer.
    Yes, I set the "Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV" option to kick the Optoma into HDR mode.
    I wanna try the "Always LLDV" in HDR parameter this evening to test if I see any difference, and will also take picture for comparison.
    On my Nvidia Shield TV 2017 I already played 1080p HDR content (S01 of "Cursed" for exemple) on my Optoma projector without any problem, so it supports 1080p and HDR, I wanna try to play the same thing on the Zidoo to see.
    What EDID are you using for enabling LLDV ? (just to check another trail)

5. Markswift2003

I must admit I mess with EDIDs quite a lot - I'm not sure if the Diva has been updated, but I wrote the latest EDID 10 in the Vertex for HDFury (it's incorrectly called "Sony A1 LLDV BT2020" at the moment) so that one is perfect - it contains an LLDV block with Max Luminance set to 1000nits and uses BT2020 primaries which is why it works with standard HDR settings on displays.

Just in case your Diva doesn't have this one loaded, I've attached it here (updated):

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  6. jchanmc

jchanmc Member

Thanks for info. What software I can use to convert Braveheart into Single track dual layer profile 8.1 format to play on Zidoo? If I play the BMDV folder, can Zidoo display DV on the LG DV supported TV? Tks.

7. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

At the moment there is only Yousepe tool which is command line only to create a profile 8.1 track from a FEL file, you then need to use Makemkv also to get it recognised on the Zidoo.
    If you have a MEL file you can just use Makemkv.
    You can not play straight from BDMV you will get HDR10 only.

8. jchanmc

jchanmc Member

Thank you very much for info.

9. jchanmc

jchanmc Member

So in order to use Zidoo to play DV files, the only way is to follow your instruction above?

10. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

Last night I have identified the problem. You were right, it's my projector fault. It really doesn't like the 1080p HDR, the noise reduction is really agressive even at 4/10 intensity and the color are washed out. If I want to keep the "Auto framerate and resolution" option I have to active the upscale function in the HDFury Diva (from 1080p30 to 4k30). After this the projector image is really good. For information I also had this issue on the Shield but I never find out because I wasn't changing the resolution in the plex player. Thank you for your help.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to power off and on the projector AND the denon amplifier with CEC on zidoo power off/on, I gonna make some test but maybe I could use some help.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  11. Markswift2003

Nice one - glad it's sorted!

Afraid I can't help with CEC - it's one of the first things I turn off when I get these devices ;)

Cyclion and DELUCAS like this.
  12. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

One thing i totally Agree with . :)

snapo6 and Markswift2003 like this.
  13. JS_racer

JS_racer Member

is lldv and vs10 the same, ??
    for example if vs10 for sdr is selected, and lldv is selected, is the video the same for the sdr file ??
    same for hdr ??
    I understand the options for passthrough (sdr, hdr), vs auto, with vs10. just trying to get a feel for video output, and if 1 is more correct.

14. Markswift2003

VS10 is the name Dolby gave to the project they instigated some 5 years or so ago to produce a system that allows for Dolby processing whatever the TVs capabilities - the idea being that whatever the source and whatever the TV, VS10 would choose the best way to present with Dolby goodness going on inside.

The real world doesn't really work like that but the VS10 engine is the part of the SOC given over to Dolby processing.

LLDV (Low Latency Dolby Vision) is an unofficial name for Dolby Profile 5 (as opposed to Profile 7 used by UHD BluRays) which was originally designed for games but was later rapidly repurposed because Sony, one of Dolby's biggest customers, royally f**ked up their chipsets on TVs that were sold as Dolby compliant but weren't, and it kind of stuck.

So when you see LLDV or DV or VS10 or VS10 for HDR/SDR that means the VS10 engine is being used to process that video and the output of that processing will depend on the capabilities of the TV - SDR, HDR, DV, LLDV or DV/LLDV.

Whitfield and xskip like this.
  15. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

A really good question, one which I've not been totally at ease with, until now. I knew parts of the answer but not the whole. Nice one Mark, once more :)

16. jchanmc

jchanmc Member

Thanks, this is helpful to understand.

17. Markswift2003

Just to add that there is a subtle difference between LLDV produced by UHD BluRay players and that produced by the Zidoos.

Not all UHD BluRay players can produce LLDV but those that can, use so called "Player Led" Dolby Vision. This means that they internally process the 4K base layer, 2K enhancement layer and RPU (dynamic gamma data) and spit out 12-bit LLDV over a static gamma curve - basically doing the same processing that a "full" DV capable TV will do in the player.

This is where Dolby have completely backtracked over their original ethos of supposedly being able to guarantee that any DV source will display the same on all DV displays and that it will be a fair representation of the original 12-bit Dolby Master or Dolby Mezzanine (a compressed version of the master) - Now you can't even guarantee that any Dolby source will even work with any DV display!!

The Zidoos are slightly different - they don't have two HEVC decoders so can't deal with two layers (even though VS10 can) so they can only process a base layer plus RPU so it's not full player led processing.

18. jchanmc

jchanmc Member

In this case, how can Zidoo claim they support DV. In fact their players only support the base layer which is HDR10. Am I right?

19. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

Plex can already play dual layer Dolby Vision MP4s.
    How can nvidia play dual layer dolby vision?

20. Markswift2003

No that's not the case - otherwise you could say the same of MEL titles in a BluRay player - VS10 uses the RPU to determine gamma and the whole shebang is processed with Dolby's algos.

The Zidoo natively supports Profile 4, 5 and 8 and the most useful as far as broadcast or deliverables go is Profile 5 which, according to Dolby, is not cross compatible. As it turns out, that's not strictly true since we decoded the Dolby VSDB in the EDID and can now apply BT.2020 primaries to it.

Also as it turns out, Profile 7 MEL titles will play once encapsulated in MKV which isn't supposed to happen!