Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

If you can't set an HDR mode manually in the display, then yes, you still need an HDFury device.

The Zidoo does not have the ability to send an HDR SEI message when outputting LLDV.

TV11 likes this.
  2. PhenixS1970

PhenixS1970 New Member

Hi Mark,

My setup: Z9X/Shield Pro/ATV4K/Oppo 203 -> Anthem AVM 60 -> Vertex 2 -> JVC N5.

I'm going to input your recommended settings and as explained in the appropriate LLDV pdf.

Only update would be that I would best load the EDID you shared on page 73 of this topic in the Vertex2 correct?

Regarding the (optional) dolby block explained in the pdf is that useful as my N5 had a Pro ISF?

Thank you very much in advance.

3. Markswift2003

Yes, correct.

When you say "optional" Dolby Block, if you mean entering values in the Vertex and sending them in Automix, it doesn;t make any difference as long as you use the correct values.

I prefer to use a Custom EDID rather than Automix because Automix can occasionally overflow the EDID and I've seen EDIDs truncate on occasion.

4. PhenixS1970

PhenixS1970 New Member

Thank you very much for taking the time to guide me through the process, Mark :). I missed the part that using "Automix" is a different approach (still a lot to learn about Vertex2).

5. fnhanks

fnhanks Member

So which HDR setting are you using? The one at the very bottom that says LLDV? Or one of the other VS10 options?

6. PhenixS1970

PhenixS1970 New Member

I am using the LLDV. Result is great with my N5.

vddan and crutzulee like this.
  7. fnhanks

fnhanks Member

You didn’t have to do the custom gamma curve, right? Not sure if you’re talking Nx5 or NP5, but when I was trying this on my NZ8, I didn’t have to use the custom gamma and could just set the HDR mode and it seemed to work fine. The guide here seems to be more applicable to older JVCs so I wasn’t exactly sure which steps were still applicable vs not.

vddan likes this.
  8. fnhanks

fnhanks Member

Confirming what you wrote here. In my VRROOM, when I put the DV values for MaxCLL and FLL, and hit send, that’s it right? you’re saying baking it into an EDID and then setting that is equivalent but more buggy?

9. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

Which EDID do you use of those available in the Vertex?

10. Markswift2003

Sort of, but not really... :)

If you create a Dolby Block on the Vrroom (stupid name!) you have to set all the parameters correctly - not difficult, but obviously primaries need to match how the display is set and Min/Max luminance needs to match the HDR gamma expectation of the display. It's not MaxCLL/FALL - that's different and used in HDR metadata from the source.

Although it's handy for on the fly adjustments, what I don't like about it is that the EDID can overflow - it's only 256 bytes and occasionally an automatic process like this can fall over - not often, but it happens.

Using a custom EDID that you've designed yourself means this doesn't happen, but of course, again, you need to know what you're doing.

11. Markswift2003

I don't use any of the EDIDs included in the Vertex.

I wrote the original EDID 10 for HDFury but for some stupid reason they insisted on calling it a "Sony" EDID when there wasn't a single byte of Sony in it. In fact, it's the same EDID that's in the Zidoo for LLDV.

Then for some unknown reason HDFury changed EDID 10 and got the luminance wrong - they set it to 1200 nits rather than 1000nits which is fine as long as you adjust the display gamma curve (or HDR SEI message), but they didn't tell anyone. I haven't checked recently whether they fixed that or not.

So no, I always use my own EDIDs - I know what's in them then!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
  12. PhenixS1970

PhenixS1970 New Member

I don’t have to use the custom gamma curve on my N5 because I have a Vertex2 in the chain on which the edid has been loaded (the one available on page 73). If you don’t have a Vertex2 you need to follow that particular JVC guide.

13. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

Hello Mark ,
    so if I use your Zidoo LLDV BT2020.Bin in the vertex, would that be the correct one? But can I upload xxxxxx.bin to Vertex?

14. Markswift2003

Use the last one in the first post here:

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/edid-thread-fw-v6-1-10-onwards-updated.86856/

Called BT2020NEW 1000nit LLDV - this one has slightly adjusted BT.2020 colour primaries.

Direct link:

https://mega.nz/file/9DJmhJBJ#f7gI9neUZB4jBqt31K1TWCC1HmteqwfJeN0YREiBvOE

You can upload any EDID you like to the vertex.

Ozzyoz likes this.
  15. fnhanks

fnhanks Member

Hmm I’ll admit I’m still very new to all of this. In that DV section I did specify all the values that have been mentioned elsewhere (LLDV, P3, max luminance 1000 nits, etc.). Once I did that I clicked create, and then Send DV.

the hdfury seems to indicate that is all it takes? Or are you saying differently? Apologies if I’m misunderstanding. Also, given I have a projector, should I change the 1000 nits to 100 nits or something that is much closer to my actual output?

16. Markswift2003

No - nothing wrong using Automix - it works just fine in most circumstances, I just prefer not to for reasons given.

You can try 100 nits but you also have to change the HDR message sent to the projector (or custom gamma if using one) to reflect that. My experience is that although 100 nits in the Dolby Block and 100 nits in the HDR SEI message makes more sense for a projector, in reality, it doesn't work as well as you might expect.

This is probably because of the way PQ gamma works and is implemented in the projector rather than the way the DV block, and therefore VS10, handles the tone mapping.

17. Coco68

Coco68 New Member

I would like to thank you Mark for your advice.
    Now,my NEO S works fine with files HDR/DV on my LRP.
    It plays HDR10 like I want.
    Thanks again.

Fred .

Markswift2003 likes this.
  18. Markswift2003

You're very welcome Fred :)

19. fnhanks

fnhanks Member

So at this point, would you just suggest using that custom EDID (new BT2020) one instead and calling it a day? I am using the VRROOM, so should I load the EDID into the VRROOM or into the Zidoo? And presuming, I then set HDR to LLDV in the zidoo, once I get the EDID loaded and I should be good? I do have the HDR block being sent, so I can leave my NZ8 in Auto Mode, which allows it to flip between SDR and HDR and want to keep that to help flipping between shield and zidoo.

20. Markswift2003

You're thinking this through too much - if Automix works, it honestly doesn't matter.

And as for where the EDID lives, as far as the Zidoo is concerned, it doesn't care, but since you have the HDFury, I'd use that. This also means that EDID is available for other devices if needed.