Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

It's really very simple... turn it on and then you need to point it toward a source folder location which has your videos you want to play. Then I believe every time you turn the Zidoo on, it automatically starts playing those files. I tried it out just to see if it worked.. but then turned it OFF, because I just wouldn't need to use it.

2. Colmas

Colmas New Member

Hi @Markswift2003
    I have been playing around with the Z9x for the past week or so, using your recommended settings, and I have to say all of my videos look washed out as if looking through a white haze. Not unwatchable, but definitely there. In desperation, went back to the Minix U1 and CoreElec and the image for the same movies was noticeably better. I didn't believe that the U1 was better than the Zidoo. So back to the settings in the Z9x and disabled the custom EDID you recommended and left the other settings as you suggested. The image improved dramatically, better than the U1. Not sure what is going on but disabling the custom EDID has dramatically improved the image quality. Much more vibrant, with nice contrast. Maybe you can shed some light on what may be happening. For the moment custom EDID off.

Cheers

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

You have to have a very specific reason to use a custom EDID and then know how to use it in respect of that reason because it's telling the player to either add a feature that the display does not support or restricting a feature that the display does support.

4. Colmas

Colmas New Member

Thank you for the reply.

I used the custom EDID on your recommendation, so that it fools the Z9X into thinking the projector is an SDR display, as many of my movies were showing up quite dark. However, by disabling the custom EDID, and leaving the VS10 for all content, it now gives a very nice image. They are no longer dark, and I don't have that haze over my movies with the custom EDID engaged. In any case all seems to be OK.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

Regards

5. Markswift2003

Ok - yes - sorry, forgot.

Washed out and colourless image usually means you're watching Rec.2020 content (eg HDR10) in Rec.709 so I'm not sure what's going on there...

6. Colmas

Colmas New Member

Hmm. I do recall that when I press info button to pull up the on-screen information, that it was outputting 4K with Rec.2020. I am certain that in the PJ menu, that it was set for Standard Rec709. Not sure why it was displaying Rec. 2020 when the Custom EDID should be set for Rec .709. Could the VS10 engine set for all content be causing this? I am no expert, just guessing, and trying to understand what's going on.

Regards

7. idlebrain

idlebrain New Member

Thanks for the post. Yes, I did the same as detailed in the blog --> https://www.selby.com.au/blog/zidoo-demo-mode-digital-signage-mode-setup
    But for some reason, the video files are not playing when I turn on the Zidoo. I tried Both standby & shutoff to Power on.

8. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

I would assume there is a problem with the source location that you selected then....granted, I didn't mess around with start and end times of selected files... I had just selected a folder of already created demo scenes is all...

9. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

I believe when making changes to HDR and EDID settings... occasionally the Zidoo gets confused and will output the the incorrect color space.... regardless of the color space setting. I believe I found it best before making EDID or other HDR setting changes to put HDR back to Auto and after the display syncs up, I will then select my EDID setting, then I lock in my display resolution, and then I make my HDR (VS10 or whatever) selections.

10. Markswift2003

Yes - if you change EDID, quite often the colours go either faded or green, or purple etc- it's because the previous HDR mode is either incompatible with the new EDID. Or its position has changed in the list because other modes have been added or taken away.

You should always exit and restart the settings app when changing EDID then select the HDR mode you want from the newly populated list.

Sometimes even a restart is prudent.

11. Colmas

Colmas New Member

Thank you for the information. I did what you suggested, and now the Zidoo is outputting the correct color space on my PJ, and the image looks very good and not faded. However, prior to loading the custom EDID for Rec. 709, and using the recommended settings from here, the image also looked quite good. Although, I had noticed that my PJ had defaulted to its HDR mode. I will need to do an AB comparison of the custom EDID vs no custom EDID and decide which gives the more pleasing image.

Thanks again, for everyone's comments.

Regards

12. Colmas

Colmas New Member

Well, my joy didn't last very long! Fired up the PJ and Zidoo last night looking forward to watching a movie with VS10 processing. As soon as the Zidoo launcher appeared on screen I knew something was wrong. It was very washed out, and so was the menu system, and poster wall. I loaded a movie, and again very washed out, and also exhibiting a strong red bias. All of the actors looked sun burnt! Back into the settings menu, and everything seemed correct. Tried a bit of fiddling, but no luck. I then tried my Minix U1, no issues. Then my Vodafone TV with some Netflix and YouTube videos, again no issues. Back to the Zidoo, and very washed out. In desperation I did a factory reset, and the washed-out appearance disappeared. Tried a movie, but as experienced earlier, it was too dark. By that time of night, I had enough and retired for the night. Tonight, I'll try the Rec. 709 Custom EDID to see if that improves the video quality. If I can't resolve this issue over the next few days, I will reluctantly return the Zidoo for a refund. I am very puzzled, s to why 24h prior all was great, and now it was terrible. What can change in that time, when it was not used at all?

13. Stove

Stove New Member

My setup is topping out at 30fps for HDR/VS10. It will do 60fps for SDR including the main menus. Panasonic HZ1000 via NAD T758 AVR. Apple TV works HDR/DV @ 60fps through same path. Used same cables as ATV and same issue.
    Do I need custom EDID?

14. AviatorBimmer

AviatorBimmer New Member

@Markswift2003

Hey man, I did the LLDV tweak for my JVC usung your PDF and so far everything looks AMAZING! I have a NX7 and boy does everything look so much freaking better. SDR, HDR10, DV movies look amazing. I want to say even my blacks look inkier than before without loss of shadow detail.

But I want to make sure about 3 things before I can say I'm done and start enjoying more movies going on forward:

1. COLOR SETTINGS. Do I still leave them as your recommendations?

4K 50~60Hz PriorityYUV420 10BIT
    4K 23~30Hz PriorityYUV444 10BIT
    Non-4K PriorityYUV444 8BIT

or should I change the 10BIT selections to 12BIT?

2. Dolby Vision Compatibility Mode. Do I select Priority Standard DV (TV Led) or Priority LLDV (Player Led)?

I currently have Priority Standard DV (TV Led) selected.

3. My projector no longer shows the MaxCLL and MaxFLL readings when viewing the projector Info screen while playing a movie.

It shows this:

Color Space: YUV
    Colorimetry: BT.2020

Before it would also show the bitdepth as well as the MaxCLL and MaxFLL.

Is this normal?

I just want to make sure everything is properly configured.

Thanks again for everything you do for the community, it's extremely appreciated!

15. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

The LG C2\G2 range are excellent TV's both for HDR10 and DV. Therefore I would leave everything on Auto in the HDR section and leave as TV Led DV. The only change I made is to force SDR through the VS10 engine simply because I like the way it looks!

16. Markswift2003

Glad you like it! And particularly with an Nx7.

So to answer your questions:

1. Leave as is - LLDV uses 12-bit 4:2:2 by default and ignores those settings, but if you go back to HDR10/ SDR at any time, those are the settings you want.

2. Doesn't matter - the EDID you're using is LLDV (player led DV) only so that setting is ignored.

3. MaxCLL and MaxFALL are not used with LLDV so that's normal.

TV11, crutzulee and AviatorBimmer like this.
  17. AviatorBimmer

AviatorBimmer New Member

Outstanding! Thanks again!

If you are a JVC NX5/7/9 owner and have a Zidoo Z9X, do yourself a favor and give this tweak a shot! =)

crutzulee likes this.
  18. vddan

vddan Active Member

With the NZ7 it is also superb !!!

19. PhenixS1970

PhenixS1970 New Member

Hi, seeking for some advice on these recommended settings:

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode: Switch frame rate and resolution *
    Display/HDR: Auto **
    Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV444 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 8BIT
    Display/Color Settings/HDMI Range: 16-235 ***
    Display/Resolution: 3840x2160p 23Hz ****
    Audio/HDMI Audio: AUTO *****
    Audio/Downmix HD Audio output: OFF

New owner of Z9X and my setup: Z9X/Shield Pro/ATV4K/Oppo 203 -> Anthem AVM 60 -> Vertex 2 -> JVC N5. I use the VS10 engine for HDR&DV only.

In my setup the Vertex 2 is principally used to scale HD content to 4K.

With the above settings the Z9X always sends out a 4K signal to the Vertex 2. I see it on a file video info and on Vertex 2 Source In TX0. Setting Frame rate mode to Switch frame rate only OR switch frame rate and resolution does not make a difference.

Only if I lock the "resolution" to 1080p 23Hz I see that the Z9X outputs the media with its native resolution and the Vertex 2 does the scaling to 4K (which I want). Native 4K is send out as 4K.

Is this how it should be? Been reading up on this thread and I assumed that the scaling is driven by Frame rate mode setting.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  20. triplington

triplington New Member

I don't see the warning in the first post about the Z9X not sending a HDR change signal to the display for LLDV playback, has this been fixed. I have a Bomaker 4K projector that will accept LLDV but there is no manual override to change to HDR. Do I still need to buy a HDFury to do this?