Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. ChuckM

ChuckM New Member

Thanks for the response. My zidoo actually did not have any "All" option, only the VS10 for individual/combo formats.

The point of the vertex2 was to enable LLDV on the Epson (via LLDV --> HDR), so chose that option in Zidoo, and now everything is beautiful again - UI and content :)

Deano86 likes this.
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

When LLDV is available in the EDID, the HDR LLDV option is the same as, and replaces the "All" setting.

The reason is that some displays allow 10/12-bit 422/444/RGB for LLDV so one "All" setting wouldn't be enough in those cases.

3. ac1991

ac1991 New Member

Hi - I currently have my Zidoo Z9X paired up with a Sony Z9J 8K tv set. I just wanted to share my settings to ensure I have them correct for the best picture possible and was hoping someone could advise me if anything does in fact need to be changed for an 8K TV.

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode: Switch frame rate and resolution * - I have changed to switch frame rate only

Display/HDR: Auto **
    Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 10BIT - I have changed to YUV444 12Bit
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV444 10BIT - I have changed to YUV444 12Bit
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 10BIT - I have changed to YUV444 12Bit
    Display/Color Settings/HDMI Range: 16-235
    Display/Resolution: 3840x2160p 23Hz - I have changed to 3840x2160p 60Hz

Display/MaxCLL and MaxFALL: ON *
    Display/Colour Settings/Deep Colour Compatibility Mode: OFF ** - I have changed to Open

Dolby Vision = TV Led
    Match Dynamic Range = On

Thankyou in advance

4. Markswift2003

No problem with any of that.

There's no reason to set the output to 12-bits - it only increases HDMI bandwidth needlessly and does not increase image quality.

Deep Colour Compatibility mode would make no difference with your TV so it doesn't matter if it's on or off.

There's nothing special you need to set for an 8K display.

ac1991 likes this.
  5. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

No idea why LLDV Setting is reset to Auto by itself? I have already done a factory reset, but that didn't help either... :(

6. Markswift2003

Are you using a custom EDID?

Does the Zidoo always start up in LLDV and then switch to HDR or does it start up in HDR?

7. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

No custom EDID.
    Zidoo stays at this setting LLVD for a day or two, but then unexpectedly switches to AUTO without me doing anything, I notice it when TV shows info about the signal via OSD.
    Most often this happens when Zidoo is shut down. After start up it is suddenly on HDR (via AUTO). Zidoo is not disconnected from the AC mains.
    In the meantime, I have set SDR and HDR to DV, and this setting is always retained. But I would like to stay with LLDV, then IPTV also runs in pseudo DV.
    Zidoo is connected directly to the TV, HDMI Audio to the AVR.

8. Markswift2003

I think maybe the EDID is getting confused - if you boot up with the amp connected but the TV isn't on it won't know anything about the TV's capabilities so only uses the amp EDID which obviously knows nothing about DV. Can be a boot up timing thing.

Can you send me your EDID - it can get tricky with two EDIDs on two HDMI ports so we can load a hybrid EDID and then hopefully the Zidoo will always boot with the TV's capabilities intact and the amp audio modes too.

I'll take your TV EDID and add full audio to it..

To Download EDID
    ================

Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID

Save to a USB stick or network location.

Change the file extension from .bin to .txt to upload to the forum

(The forum won't accept .bin files)

Bill-Z9X and Ovidiu Ogrean like this.
  9. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

Hello Mark, that sounds reasonable, in the Sofabaton start sequence TV starts first, but sometimes I don't point the remote control in the direction of the TV and have to start it again separately.
    Thanks for the explanation!
    Edid here:

Attached Files:

10. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

I have considered it, I think the original EDID from Panasonic does not need to be changed, the TV can do Dolby Atmos. I uploaded the unchanged EDID to the player and activated it. All audio formats are supported.
    I'll keep watching, thanks again Mark!

Addendum:
    Unfortunately this did not help, I have set the original Panasonic EDID and the HDR setting to LLDV. In the meantime I started the player alone, without TV and AVR, to save something to the internal HDD. After the normal start with TV, the HDR setting was back to AUTO.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  11. Scott Darnell

Scott Darnell New Member

I am considering the Z1000 for UHD rips with my JVC NZ8. Sick of the problems with my Plex on Nvidia Shield Pro
    What internal settings are recommended, so that it does not conflict with the excellent Frame Adapt in the projectr
    Thanks

12. Markswift2003

Follow the settings on the first page. The only setting that could conflict with the JVC Frame Adapt is "HDR" so as long as that is set to "Auto" you're good.

Resolution and Frame Rate Mode are personal preference.

13. Scott Darnell

Scott Darnell New Member

Any Reccommendation on the best external UHD drive for ripping my disc to DVD Fab
    Thanks

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  14. Scott Darnell

Scott Darnell New Member

Also, would you recommend an external or internal hard drive, being that I have to transfer files all the time.
    Thanks for all the Newbie help

15. Markswift2003

I'd always recommend network drives - infinitely upgradable and elegant.

16. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Question regarding the Frame Rate settings - which will have the Z9X set the frame rate so there's less resyncs but have my C9 Upscale resolution to 4K etc.

17. Markswift2003

The TV will resync every time there is a change of frame rate and/or resolution and/or HDR mode.

Since the majority of content is 23.976fps the best frame rate to chose for the GUI is 23.976 - that will trigger the least frame rate resyncs in the display.

Personally I would also have the Zidoo upscale rather than the TV since that will also reduce resyncs.

If you think the C9 does a better job I'd want to quantify that first - there are plenty of test patterns about to do that - but I doubt it'd be visibly any better than the Zidoo. In all tests I've done, the Zidoo is pretty good at it!

If you really want to you can use the Denon to upscale - not sure whether than would help in the resync stakes or not... years ago accepted wisdom was to let the amp upscale over the display but these days because STB SOCs have got so good at it I think that view is rather defunct.

18. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

So the Denon would be my preference for upscaling but it adds about 5-7 seconds of black screen resync to start and stop of the movie, drives me insane and feels like an eternity, especially while going through movie menus so i just connect Zidoo directly to C9.

If I want to let the Z9X upscale, which setting would that be, Match Frame Rate and Resolution? or the other one? and what does OFF do?

Thanks Mark.

19. Markswift2003

Set "Playback/Auto frame rate/Frame rate mode" to "Match frame rate only"

B0RN likes this.
  20. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

And Switch Frame Rate and Resolution lets the C9 scale? Or Is it the OFF setting that does that... so I can do some A/B testing and see which I prefer.