Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

I'm on half way actually. I've tried LLDV and VS10 SDR which makes not a visible difference in my mkv movies.

2. vddan

vddan Active Member

We do not have the same projector, I do not know yours but with the JVC we can settle it as well as possible and personally the difference in me is relatively important !!

3. vddan

vddan Active Member

Besides, although I read '1080p, HDR10, HDR10+, DV' the image is always at the top with always this more on DV!

4. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Obviously as my projector is a Benq W5700

5. vddan

vddan Active Member

Yes, Benq does not know, never had, so with Edid 'Sdr Itu 709', if possible enter the settings of the Projo, especially those of Gamma!

6. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Can someone explain why this stickied guide for recommended settings has the exact opposite recommendation for "MaxCLL/MaxFALL?" The other stickied post titlies All you need to know about the RTD1619DR- says to keep this OFF? Can someone please help me understand why these are saying the opposite thing? Should this be on or off?

Language from other guide:

"Also HDR10 may vary as MaxFALL (Maximum Frame Average Light Level) and MaxCLL (Maximum Content Light Level) may or may not be supported. In most cases it will be ignored when not supported but also in that case may lead to bad levels. At least the latest HDR10+ is backward compatible. Also a warning about HDR10+ as even recent amplifiers passing HDR10 may not support passing also HDR10+ with fallback to HDR10 as the unexpected result."

2) MaxCLL and MaxFALL can be disabled now for better HDR10 compatibility.

7. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Why are you duplicating your posts? Your answer is on first page of this thread

8. Jimbo Randy

This post says that it can't hurt to leave it on. The other post says that it can cause issues if you leave it on. This is what is confusing.

9. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

This thread is the recommended one - maybe @Nice Monkey could comment on his "guide"

10. Jimbo Randy

This might be a dumb question, or one that has been already covered. If so, apologies!

If my TV can do Dolby Vision, but NOT HDR10+, will the VS10 engine use the DYNAMIC metadata provided by the HDR10+ and send it over as Dolby Vision (including RPU taken from the HDR10+)? Or is that not how it works?

11. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

no, if your TV don't do HDR10+ it will be played as HDR10.

Jimbo Randy likes this.
  12. Jimbo Randy

Thanks for confirming!

13. Jimbo Randy

Ah actually one last question. And I bet this is stupid, but when I have the HDR settings on "Auto" and I play a dolby vision file, it is playing with the VS10 engine, not realtek, right? I'm sure that's right but just wanted to check. i was confused at what the "VS10 for dolby vision only" setting does. I don't see how that would function any differeant than 'auto'.

14. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

When auto is selected,

SDR and HDR —> Realtek engine
    DV—> Dolby VS10 engine.

15. Jimbo Randy

Right then how is the "VS10 for dolby vision only" setting any different than auto?

16. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Depends on the EDID. For example it allows VS10 to process a DV Profile 7/8 file on an HDR display rather than just using the HDR10 base layer.

17. Donald Hicks

Donald Hicks New Member

Hi, Guys, first, I want to apologize for my earlier posts on this thread......I had a lot of questions and they all seemed to come out at once, perhaps confusing people......That was not my intent.......That said, I just want to say thank you to Markswift2003 for posting the PDF about the settings for LLDV and JVC projectors....

As I said before, I own an older one and it still puts out a great picture......I follow the steps listed and got a great result....As I had replaced the original lamp(after 3,000 Hrs).....It has aged to the point that black levels are perfect to my eyes.....That 15 sec. delay we were talking about is gone!!! I set the framerate to 4K60 and locked it for all content and the delay dropped to less than 5 secs.. When I watch a movie when the studio logo appears there is the VS10/Dolby Vision badge or the straight Dolby Vision badge, depending if the film have DV or not.......In order to get this result I had to upgrade my A/V receiver to one that passes Dolby Vision.....

There is one thing I need to ask though......The settings provided in the PDF stated to use low lamp power, wouldn't DV benefit from high lamp power?......Before I got the Zidoo I was using the Shield and I had an HDR mode with a custom curve I got from AVS that mimicked Dolby Cinema.....The PJ switched from low to high lamp when it detected the HDR signal........Is that possible when using LLDV?

Thanks again for your kindness and patience..........

18. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The problem with locking the framerate to 60Hz is that you will drop frames on almost all content - if you don't notice this (some people are less sensitive to it than others) then great - leave as is, but personally I have the resolution/framerate set to 4K23 with match framerate only and use LLDV (or more recently, VS10 SDR) permanently set on. This means 99% of content does not cause any resync at all and for the very rare occasion where the framerate differs I'll suffer the 15s resync.

As for high lamp - that's personal preference. The very best HDR image a projector can show is SDR since no projector can get anywhere near the 1000nits required to show a full HDR signal.

But bear in mind that this is only in relation to specular highlights and the APL (Average Picture Level) from an HDR signal should not differ greatly from an SDR signal if mastered correctly.

Essentially the custom gamma curve tone maps the HDR signal to very much an SDR signal (this is what happens to a lesser extent in most TVs as well).

So if you want a slightly brighter image at the expense of a slightly raised black floor and more noise then by all means use it and set your HDR picture mode accordingly. Personally I've never felt the need.

vddan likes this.
  19. Donald Hicks

Donald Hicks New Member

Thanks for that response.......I will keep in mind what you said about the dropped frames......I have played several movies and there were none that I could see........Interestingly enough, What is the difference in using LLDV or VS10 mode? Will I get the badges when the movie starts if I use VS10 SDR? BTW using low lamp saves my bulb..........

20. Jimbo Randy

I think I may have a basic misunderstanding of how the VS10 engine works. In your example, I assume you are talking about a TV that supports HDR10 but doesn't support Dolby Vision? If so, would you actually be getting dynamic metadata from the VS10 engine, I assume through LLDV? If I am way off here, please let me know.

Also, just to confirm, TV LED DV is what is preferred, correct? I was reading an older convo in this thread where someone was asking why their C9 on 'auto' was doing LLDV. I wasn't understanding your advice to leave it on LLDV instead of TV LED. Was this because the C9 wasn't allowing for a proper TV LED DV signal to be sent? For reference, I have an LG C1 and 'auto' sends an 8 bit RGB signal so I assume this is TV LED. I saw another comment of yours where you say that you personally use LLDV. Is that because you use a projector?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023