Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Vit961

Vit961 New Member

Question about setting up the JVC X700: The calibration program for my projector has version 1.01, and there is no way to load the gamma curve into the projector. What should I do in this case?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I don't think you can do this with that series of projector. HDR wasn't introduced into JVC projectors until 2015 with the 5000/7000/9000 series.

You need to be able to load a wide colour gamut (BT.2020) and a PQ gamma, and I don't think that projector supports either.

3. Vit961

Vit961 New Member

Bt2020, I uploaded, and, in my opinion, the picture I received looks very good, but it's a pity that there is no way to upload your data

4. Markswift2003

Ok - so was the BT.2020 file you uploaded a .prof file?

Can you post it here (rename as .txt) so I can see what it does.

And does the X700 software allow you to upload a gamma, just not mine, or is there no option to upload?

5. Markswift2003

Looking at the X700 manual, there is an "import" setting for gamma correction value which implies that a gamma curve can be imported - if we can figure out the format then I could probably produce a curve that would work within the boundaries of your projector...

6. Vit961

Vit961 New Member

Here are the screenshots of my program and the BT2020 file

Attached Files:

7. Markswift2003

So yes, the colour profile file looks the same format as I use so I think we're good with the BT.2020 colour profile.

Problem is gamma - as I say, the fact that there is an "Import" setting for gamma correction value indicates that it will accept a custom gamma but the calibration software doesn't seem to do it.

On mine, you go to Import/Export and you can choose to import either a colour profile or a gamma by a dropdown menu - that doesn't exist on yours.

I'd suggest finding an X700 thread on AVS and ask there about importing gamma curves...

8. serg fedorov

serg fedorov Active Member

9. Vit961

Vit961 New Member

I'll try to do that. Thanks

10. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

So to confirm does this happen on all DV files when outputting LLDV?

11. Markswift2003

12. Markswift2003

Yes.

13. serg fedorov

serg fedorov Active Member

In my subjective opinion, on older projectors it is better to use the VS10 engine with 709 rec.
    Doubt if set to 2020 color. profile and gamma curve will greatly improve the picture.
    Or am I wrong?
    But based on the logic that older projectors don't have good lumens, the color gamut isn't very good, and now there's clipping. I don't think it's a very good idea.
    Although, it's certainly interesting to try. And it is even more interesting to compare the native against vs10.

14. Markswift2003

On the face of it, yes, but this is a really interesting experiment and should work great!

serg fedorov likes this.
  15. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

Fingers crossed for a fix - its not good! Has it been like this in all firmwares I wonder?

I was just wondering because earlier you mentioned it was for VS10 which is for converting non DV to DV.

Sekology likes this.
  16. Markswift2003

I assume so - up until now I've only had SDR and HDR10 black clip patterns and those have been fine with VS10 whether DV or not.

This seems only to affect actual DV content and as I say, it's really not a huge issue given how PQ works but it does need attention.

My Sony X700 shows similar but slightly better results but the 1619 Dunes do exactly the same. Not sure about Zappiti since I don't have a new box, but I assume it's the same since they are essentially Dune boxes now.

Sekology likes this.
  17. Markswift2003

18. Vit961

Vit961 New Member

Thanks! I'll try. And there is another question: Will HD Fury Vertex help in my situation?

19. Markswift2003

Only if you want to start using advanced options like RS232 macros or you want to make EDID changes on the fly for example.

A Vertex2 or Vrroom (ridiculous name!) etc are extremely powerful tools and I wouldn't be with them - so it depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

Vit961 and serg fedorov like this.
  20. domix1962

domix1962 New Member

Hi, I also have the Epson TW 9400 projector. Zidoo z9x will be connected with hdmi to a Denon avc-x3700h audio video receiver. Have you connected a usb hub with various peripherals to the Zidoo? From that read I cannot understand if it is possible.