Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

In order to process discrete dual layer FEL, in other words, player led Dolby processing, two HEVC decoders are needed - one for each layer.

I've not followed what's going on with the Shield, but I don't believe it has the hardware to do that natively so something else is going on. With MEL, the enhancement layer is just a 1080p mid-grey field and can effectively be ignored so effectively dual layer can be processed with one decoder. In the case of FEL the 1080p stream contains actual video which is the compressed "difference" in video terms between the 10-bit HDR10 base layer and the original 12-bit Master or Mezzanine but again it could arguably be ignored and use RPU with the base - you're not getting the full hit, but it would work - so that may be going on.

There is a way of combining BL & EL into one layer but again that has to be before it hits the player hardware.

2. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

and zidoo plays dl dv mp4s just stereo sound. You cant select multichannel. (for examp. "Top.Gun.1986.DL.DV.UHD.BluRay.2160p.DTS-HD.MA.7.1.HEVC.REMUX-******.mp4)

3. Markswift2003

The only test file I have that is dual layer mp4 has a Dolby Digital 5.1 track and that plays base layer and multichannel fine. It's irrelevant though because dual layer files aren't supported anyway!

4. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

For those who use 10 bit HEVC-encoded video with resolutions lower than 4K, wouldn't it be wise to set color for Non-4K to "Priority YUV444 10BIT" ?

5. Markswift2003

Yes indeed, you should match presentation as close to content as much as possible but generally speaking, for commercial content, 2K and lower is encoded at 8-bits.

If you have 10-bit 2K content for example then yes, set for 444 10-bit.

6. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Thank you, Mark.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  7. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Hi @Markswift2003 , I watched a video somewhere before but can’t remember by whom, I think it was Vincent Teoh. He said something about setting to 12-bit for 10-bit content should be fine, he recommended it. He used the analogy of carrying a beer in a bigger glass will reduce the risk of spilling the beer, or something like that. My understanding from that (might be wrong) is that the colors are not like converted to 12-bits, but still untouched. What do you think?

8. Markswift2003

There's nothing wrong with setting 12-bit as such but you won't see any improvement over 10-bit for 10-bit content - 12-bit just pads and adds extra bits, so for the sake of just increasing bandwidth and the (small) possibility of introducing HDMI problems it's better in my opinion to match to the content.

ammar11 likes this.
  9. snapo6

snapo6 Member

Hi Mark,
    In your MAIN SETTINGS you opt for Display/HDMI Mode: 3840x2160p 23Hz ***

Why 23Hz and not 24 as I always thought 23.976 is rounded to 24?

10. Markswift2003

No, they are two separate frame rates.

Film is usually shot at 24fps but for purely historic reasons (because of the way movies were telecined in the good old analogue days) when transferred to DVD, BluRay or for broadcast they are slowed to 23.976fps or more properly 24000/1001 fps.

So the vast majority of content, both disc based and streamed, is 24000/1001 fps although you do get the odd movie where the frame rate of 24fps is maintained. Notably the 4K release of the Rambo movies maintains the 24fps cinematic frame rate and a couple of other releases.

So that's why I choose the GUI frame rate of 4K23, just to match the majority of my content - no other reason. (obviously 4K23 is just shorthand for 4K23.976 or 4K24000/1001)

gymnos likes this.
  11. Blue Stinger

Blue Stinger Member

Is anyone out there who can confirm that LLDV YUV 4: 4: 4 12 bit with native Dolby Vision mkv's works best in terms of stability?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  12. Markswift2003

No - For LLDV, 422 12-bit is the standard and while 10 or 12-bit 444 (or RGB) will work, there's no benefit and indeed there is a propensity for the Zidoo settings to crash using YUV 444/RGB for LLDV. Also you're adding unnecessary bandwidth to the HDMI signal.

The other issue is that if you have 4K59 or 4K60 content, if you choose YUV 444 10/12-bit for LLDV it will be presented in either 4K30 or 2K59/60 since there is no legal 444 10 or 12-bit mode at 59/60Hz 4K.

Bottom line, stick with 12-bit 422 for DV/LLDV.

13. Blue Stinger

Blue Stinger Member

OK. I think you got me wrong. Your listed points are correct and I know that too. What I mean by that is the following: With LLDV YUV 4: 4: 4 12 BIT I have no more freezes. There are currently numerous DV mkv's that break off after about 7-10 minutes. With LLDV YUV 4: 4: 4 12 BIT I haven't had that anymore. Only if you pause the film for a longer period of time there are occasional crashes. All other modes still lead to crashes. Please test it!

14. Markswift2003

Ok gotcha - if it works for you then of course use that mode, but I notice you have a Philips which is the only manufacturer I've seen so far that has 10/12-bit 444/RGB enabled in the Dolby block.

I can do it too using the Vertex, but most people will not be able to access those settings and will only have 8-bit RGB HDMI Tunneling for Standard DV and 12-bit 422 for LLDV available.

And nothing really for me to test I'm afraid - I don't have any issue with DV playback (other than the documented True-HD Atmos issue).

15. Markswift2003

Since there are no great changes and several reports of stability issues, I'd probably stick at .66 for now.

I have a few Zidoo boxes, but the main one I use day to day in the cinema is on .60 I think and I have a test box on .80.

I have to reason to update my main box yet so I'll be sticking at .60 for now..

16. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Hi, download the latest firmware for your LG C9 and flash .60 on Zidoo, I seem to remember there was less problems with DV on that version, particularly if you enabled extra settings in Realtek developer options.

17. Markswift2003

Ah - v6.0.60 wasn't a public beta although I think it found its way into the wild, so yes, stick to .66

ICU2018 likes this.
  18. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Hello markswift2003,

Is it normal that in Display / HDR, the LLDV option is not available for some people ?

See you

19. Markswift2003

Yes it is - it depends on the display.

Obviously if it's not a Dolby Vision display then there will be no DV options available at all.
    Some DV displays allow standard DV and LLDV, some will allow only LLDV and some will only allow standard DV.

20. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Thanks, you rock :)