Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Hello everybody
    Yesterday I updated and I have noticed some improvements in the image, I don't know if it will be due to the new EDID option but the truth is that I have noticed (and it is my impression) a little more sharpness, better blacks as well as an improvement also in dark and light scenes .
    Can someone tell me if you have noticed these improvements?
    Thank you very much and greetings

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Sorry - Just wishful thinking I'm afraid - there's no change to the playback engine and the EDID options don't make any difference to the image.

3. Stefano C

Stefano C Member

Hi I have found this thread on bluray.com, I think it could be usefull to know which titles are FEL/MEL.
    I post it here (if I shouldn't I'll remove it)

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448

Markswift2003 likes this.
  4. jesson1971

jesson1971 New Member

Hi,Markswift2003,I follow your post and It realy help me a lot.
    I have a question of 1619 dr soc(ZIDDO firmware 6.2.5):
    2021-05-20 10_21_03-纠结芝杜Z9X和魅视8581蓝光机该怎么选?-4K播放机-Hao4K.png

What does that mean DV MODE(std)?representation in VS10 engine or passthrough the DV meta-data to TV?
    What's the difference between OPPO(8581) STD mode and ZIDOO(1619) STD mode?or its same?

Thank you for your generous answer。

5. Markswift2003

Standard Mode is where the TV does the processing of the Dolby Vision signal (also known as TV Led Dolby Vision).

LLDV is Low Latency Dolby Vision where the player does the processing (it was originally designed for gaming where the latency of TV processing was unacceptable).

The Oppo processes the video part of the enhancement layer whereas the Zidoo does not - and that's the only real difference - they both process the RPU and both pass the Dolby Vision signal by an HDMI tunnel in an 8-bit RGB wrapper for Standard DV and 12-bit 4:2:2 for LLDV (unless the EDID allows 10/12-bit 4:4:4).

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    jesson1971 and xskip like this.
  6. jesson1971

jesson1971 New Member

Thank you!I understand。

I will try Mehanik Rotating Banding Test where you post in AVSFORUM.

The masking bars on the base layer cant be seen even when I turn on the Zidoo`s DV STD mode.Am i right?

Dolby Vision FEL and RPU response .png

7. Markswift2003

Yes, that's correct, the masks are part of the video signal in the FEL and are therefore not processed in the Zidoo, but you will see the RPU changes very clearly. You should see them on the Oppo.

Just a point to note - because of the home made nature of that clip, it does stop at about 46 seconds (the clip is a 2 minutes long) but that's plenty of time to see the RPU working.

jesson1971 likes this.
  8. Markswift2003

Sorry - I should correct what I said above - I said that "LLDV in both players is the same (they both use Dolby VS10)"

This is not correct - I was actually thinking Profile 5 only - LLDV doesn't process the video in the FEL for Profile 7 either!!

I've corrected the original post. Sorry for the confusion.

9. jesson1971

jesson1971 New Member

THANKS!

10. Stefano C

Stefano C Member

Hi I have a LG CX and I have read my CX can't play no more dolby vision .mp4 files properly... Till now I just watched HDR videos with usb port... do you think video quality improvements provided by Zidoo z9x (BL+RPU) vs just LG TV (BL) is enough to buy zidoo player? What plus add the RPU to HDR videos? Thanks...

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  11. Markswift2003

On purely image quality terms, it's difficult to say - it depends how your display handles Dolby Vision vs HDR10 - but what it definitely does allow is dynamic tone mapping from DV sources which you don't get with HDR10.

Personally, I would say yes, it's worth it.

12. Stefano C

Stefano C Member

thank you very much

13. Konstantin91

Konstantin91 New Member

Mark, is it correct to use 0-255 in zidoo and 16-235/auto on the tv? Is any difference when I use 16-235 in zidoo? What is better/right?

14. Markswift2003

16-235 (64-940 for 10-bit) refers to the luminance range - ie the greyscale from black to white.

You need to match the Zidoo setting to the TV setting otherwise if you set the Zidoo at 0-255 then black is at 0 and the TV thinks black is at 16.

This means that the grey at 16 the Zidoo sends is interpreted as black by the TV so everything looks darker - the whole luminance range (or "brighntess") gets shifted.

It's effectively the same as turning the brightness (black level) control down.

Since video is encoded at 16-235 in 8-bit (DVD & BluRay) and 64-940 in 10-bit (UHD BluRay) the correct setting is 16-235 for both but usually Auto is fine too.

15. Konstantin91

Konstantin91 New Member

Thanks a lot!)

16. Valary

Valary New Member

Hello,

I've read this thread, but the settings at the beginning seem not working for me. Please, help me tune up my Zidoo z9x.
    I think I have pretty standard equipment.
    TV - LG OLED 55 B9
    Soundbar LG SK9y
    Ziddoo Z9x with 6.32 firmware

Let alone the sound settings for now. The most thing that bothered me - is the buggy Dolby Vision playback.
    I have several questions:
    1) Is 6.32 a stable version? If it's not, maybe all my problems will resolve by themselves with the new version of firmware?
    2) When I set DOLBY VISION COMPATIBILITY MODE to led LLDV everything works more or less stable, except sometimes the player does not enter into DV mode and uses HDR10 instead. But it's not the main problem since it happens occasionally. In this mode, I also have some issues with pictures. In some videos, the color of the bright sky is greenish and squared. Videos work fine when I play them using a TV internal player. I suppose Deep Colour Compatibility Mode and HDMI Range should be responsible for the behavior, but I've tried to change these parameters with no luck to change something in the picture. May be I could change some other settings to improve the picture?
    3) When I set DOLBY VISION COMPATIBILITY MODE to TV led DV in the same videos I get the sign Dolby Vision on the TV screen, but the screen remains black. I guess TV and player can't establish the right mode for DV playback. But video is going on I can hear the sound.

All videos I've used for testing are LG demos so they play fine directly on TV and I can compare the results.

I guess OLED of 2018 year should be a pretty common model of TV. Could you please give me the right settings for playback DV?

17. Markswift2003

V6.3.2 is as stable as any of the other firmware - I've had no issues with it at all. In all honesty, there's not really such a thing as a "stable version" with media players - they are in continuous development - it's not like buying, for example, a Sony BluRay player which does a simple job and requires very little in the way of updates other than those required as services change.

If the player does not enter DV mode that probably means the file is incompatible - can you give an example video?

Can you tell us which video shows "the color of the bright sky .. greenish and squared" and perhaps post a link (assuming it's one of the LG demos). Not sure what you mean by "squared".

Can you post your EDID (Settings/Display/EDID/Save) for two scenarios:

1. With the Zidoo connected to the soundbar

2. With the Zidoo connected directly to the TV

18. Valary

Valary New Member

EDIDs
    TV :
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/PZVq/hxB1LCPnp

Bar:
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/PZVq/hxB1LCPnp

Here are the links to video files:

01.Art Of India
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/4Por/jdfXxiTiY

02.Chameleon
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/NeNN/TfMRdVKix

06.Landscapes Of India
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/a71b/eyTGTmcAN

When I set DOLBY VISION COMPATIBILITY MODE to led LLDV I see actually some artefacts only in the third video 06.Landscapes Of India. And this video cause to interrupt playback about in the middle. The player just switch to the main screen of Zidoo
    The rests files seem to be ok but I think I just have not tried enough quantity to discover others.

When I set DOLBY VISION COMPATIBILITY MODE to TV led DV

The first video is Dolby vision and black screen
    The second video is Dolby vision and the picture appears for a few seconds and then disappears
    The third video is Dolby vision and black screen

Some other Dolby videos play fine in this mode, but not all of them, so it's not unique cases.

19. Valary

Valary New Member

Sorry the TV EDID is here
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/TmQd/gKfPfsvWn

Also, I would like to emphasize that all these videos play fine without any issues by the TV internal player in Dolby Vision mode, but I don't know how can I see the exact parameters of playback there( Color mode and frequency)

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  20. Markswift2003

Brilliant - I'll have a look at these this afternoon