Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

This is the third instance you've mentioned this stuttering issue, not sure you are going about things the right way and I'm bound to say the lack of your signature doesn't lend any assistance to those members who might be able to help you!

Mabon likes this.
  2. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

I only ever look at this forum on Safari on my iPhone and I can’t see anybody’s signatures, so I would rate them unimportant- just say what gear you are having trouble with.

ZidooTR likes this.
  3. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

I’m on iPhone too, rotate your phone to landscape orientation and you’ll see the signatures.

4. DaMacFunkin

Mmm that gets tricky whilst driving a 44 tonne truck ;-)

5. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

I would agree. Before you know it your truck will rotate to landscape orientation.

6. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Lol. Well don’t be reading your phone while driving a 44-tonne truck!

7. DaMacFunkin

How am I going to get my Zidoo working on a 4 1/2 hour journey if I don’t?

8. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

Ok Mark and Sledgehamma you have answered the question I have.

Why am i seeing RGB 8bit DV on a TV led 2016 OLED 77 G6P (3D) display.

and now I know.

You don't seem to understand how Dolby Vision works - it uses 8-bit RGB to tunnel the 12-bit signal using a lower bandwidth so it can stay compatible with HDMI 1.4.

The Zidoo handles Dolby Vision correctly. ( I FAILED and Zidoo Wins)

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  9. Stefano C

Stefano C Member

Sorry but if zidoo z9x has HDMI Output: HDMI 2.0a
    and
    Dynamic HDR metadata (which I think are used in Dolby Vision/HDR10+) are featured in HDMI 2.1 how can zidoo z9x output to tv Dolby Vision/HDR10+ videos? Thanks and sorry for my english...

here my info source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Feature_support

Markswift2003 likes this.
  10. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

That's an excellent question!!

Dolby Vision is the easy one - it was always designed to be compatible with HDMI 1.4, hence 12-bit 422 for 4K23 LLDV and 8-bit RGB HDMI tunneling for standard DV as a way to transport 12-bit (damn clever!).

As for HDR10+, that was down to TV manufacturers fiddling the specs, so although technically dynamic metadata shouldn't be allowed in HDMI 2.0* they managed to crowbar it in before HDMI 2.1 was released.

The Zidoos take advantage of this loophole in HDMI 2.0* for HDR10+.

11. Stefano C

Stefano C Member

ok thanks.
    About what I can see on bluray.com there are around 76 blurays (different editions) with hdr10+ and 439 blurays with dolby vision (and in 49 blurays, like with "1917", the disk has both hdr formats)..for this reason I think the dolby vision output is the most probably interesting

I still have a bit of fear to take the zidoo z9x for my lg cx, but maybe I should really do it ... unfortunately I still struggle a little (especially because of the English) to understand how the support for dolby vision is going ... recently from another forum this was reported to me (I don't know the original source of this info in english, a forum user posted it explayning why it should be impossible for zidoo to do boldy vision).... the EL part of dolby vision videos are recovered from VS10 engine maybe?
    Sorry if I don't understand, but I am trying..

upload_2021-4-29_10-16-41.png

here my info source:
    filter hdr10+
    https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/sear...t=&slipcoverback=&submit=Search&action=search

filter dolby vision
    https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/sear...t=&slipcoverback=&submit=Search&action=search

filter hdr10+ + dolby vision

dolby vision on zidoo bl+el+rpu etc...
    https://www.avmagazine.it/forum/128...o-recensione-e-problemi?p=5137041#post5137041

Attached Files:

12. Markswift2003

It's quite complicated, but here goes....

Profile 7 Dolby Vision as used on UHD BluRays is an HDR10 based video standard (people tend to forget this!) and is made up of three elements -

1. The Base Layer which is either HDR10 or HDR10+ and this is where the vast majority of the video information is.

2. The Enhancement Layer which is a 1080p video stream that either includes the difference information between the 12-bit Dolby Vision stream and the 10-bit HDR10(+) stream (Full Enhancement Layer - FEL) or a "dummy" video stream that contains no video information (Minimal Enhancement Layer - MEL)

3. The RPU - Reference Processing Unit - this contains the tone mapping metadata, either scene by scene or frame by frame.

The Zidoo uses the HDR10 or HDR10+ base layer plus the RPU to produce a Dolby Vision signal.

In the case of MEL titles, this is exactly the same as the UHD BluRay output.

In the case of FEL titles, the "difference" signal between the 10-bit and 12-bit video is discarded. If the title has been correctly mastered there should be no great difference to see since it's all part of the same post production process - once grading is complete, a 10-bit video and a 12-bit video spits out from the same source - there is no additional "information" other than the bit depth.

In short, as far as the consumer is concerned:

The only difference between a Dolby Vision MEL signal and an HDR10(+) signal is the tone mapping metadata.

The only difference between a Dolby Vision FEL signal and an HDR10(+) signal is the metadata and the bit depth.

Rokus, BearOS, xskip and 1 other person like this.
  13. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Often, when complicated things are layed out in detail properly, actually become quite clear and easier to get your head around. At least, that goes for me.

No exception here. Excellent explanation, Mark.

14. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I agree wholeheartedly with @Whitfield . Whilst I am technically and IT orientated, I'm a numpty in comparison - this explanation will be printed out and placed with my Plethora of similar sheets for reference. Thank you.

15. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

hmmm I have a problem because it takes two to tango, zidoo releases hdr10 + after hdmi 2.0a but unfortunately it looks like my tv tcl 65x10 does not accept it, so it does not play hdr10 + :(

16. Stefano C

Stefano C Member

ok thanks for explainations

17. Teddyboy

Teddyboy Member

Hello everyone.
    After a lot of research, I finally decided to buy a Z9x. It arrives today from Amazon. Out of all the android boxes I looked at this appears to do everything I want. It just keeps getting better with Zidoos aggressive firmware development.

It’s going to replace a windows htpc box. It will be connected to a 47” Samsung 8 bit sdr panel. I’m not planning on buying a 4k panel until the end of the year. This will be a direct connection with the only other device a Apple TV on the other hdmi port.

I have a mixture of 4k UHD BD’s, Blu-Rays, and DVD’s all ripped as folder structures to my 50TB windows essentials 2016 server. I’m a little confused with all the settings that have been listed. All I want is a good base of settings that will allow me to view my movies on the existing panel that I have. I may have to experiment a little, but if I have a decent starting point I can find PQ that is suitable for the panel and my taste within reason. :)

18. Markswift2003

The clue's in the name of the thread - have a look at the first post ;)

19. Teddyboy

Teddyboy Member

Why do I always make things harder then they actually are. :D;)
    After reading your first post, it’s clear what I should set. I’m going to set it up, connect it to the tv, and update the firmware today. I’ll see if the emby client is able to use the zidoo internal player for playback too. What this box can do is pretty amazing for what I paid for it. $229 US from Amazon. @Markswift2003 I’m going to have some questions since I have a 1080p tv, but I think I can get it going.

20. Markswift2003

No worries - yeah it's a great price compared to some others ;)