Recommended Settings and other knowhow for HiFi players/playback

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Feb 26, 2021.

1. cyber201

cyber201 Member

The problem is with MQA and normal audio. All audio play with UAPP are very soft.
    I use the DAC: internal player and the UAPP recognize the USB DAC.
    I use bit-perfect mode.

Attached Files:

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

UAPP indeed works sees the Internal DAC for PCM but not for DSD.
    Was confusing that I see.

My volume With bit-perfect mode on/off is just fine using the Internal DAC.
    I have SPDIF on "Off" as that setting seems to linked with Internal DAC in one way or the other.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  3. cyber201

cyber201 Member

Ok. Thanks. The plus for the UHD3000 is to use the internal DAC for playback. It's true?
    When i start the UAPP and switch the Zidoo with the internal DAC, the app recognize immediatly the USB DAC.

With Tidal App all works fine. But this app use the internal DAC or not?

Thanks

mirak likes this.
  4. Nice Monkey

Yes, the sound via UAPP using the Internal UHD3000 DAC works and in fact is really excellent. A pity DSD is not working (yet) as DSD is just converted to PCM. Updated Chapter-6 accordingly too.
    But repeat I experience no volume level problems with it.

Try to switch SPDIF to "Off". Somebody else was complaining about volume levels with SPDIF and when I changed the SPDIF setting the sound is actually stoppen and I need to exit UAPP to get it working again so there is some correlation there.

Never tried Tidal but if sound comes out of the UHD3000 Analog Outputs then it uses the DAC for sure.

5. cyber201

cyber201 Member

Ok. I will try to disable SPDIF.
    In the Volume menù of UAPP, witch are your settings?

And the settings of the Zidoo Menu?

6. Nice Monkey

UAPP bit-perfect ignores all volume controls and processing options! Always max anyway.
    Zidoo settings according this Chapter-1 post.

7. CGI

CGI Member

can you please try in UAPP when playing tidal - press the red circled in first attached pic.
    then select Hardware Volume - it will lead you to the second pic and pull the left slider up to the very top - for some reason in my case it was not up enough by default; have in mind the slider is logarithmic and has big effect in a small slide.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  8. Nice Monkey

Only valid if bit-perfect is not set like in your example. These settings are all disabled using bit-perfect!
    Under Setup => Volume those controls can be disabled too.

Be also sure the DAC output hardware volume control is not set at a low volume as the remote control regulates that when using DAC Output. This despite using RAW output mode for HDMI disabling volume control for HDMI output implicitly! Updated Chapter-1 notes with a specific warning for this.

9. cyber201

cyber201 Member

Thanks a lot CGI. The second screenshot resolve my issue.
    Thanks

10. Nice Monkey

Thanks @CGI
    Good it is solved and we know the cause. :)

I am still puzzled how you both get that Hardware Volume option using bit-perfect as on my UAPP audio option panel it does not even show up. All other options are greyed out and bit-perfect is shown when trying to use any. :confused:

Could you share the APP version you are using for Tidal and proved to be working. Please also share experiences with each and the preference for using UAPP for Tidal. Is that MQA?
    If you give me your permission then will add your experience to Chapter 6b.

Updated the UAPP paragraph in Chapter 6a..

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  11. cyber201

cyber201 Member

Yes, you can add my opinion and experiences.
    Later i will post the screenshots of the UAPP and Tidal APP

Gábor Tehenes likes this.
  12. CGI

CGI Member

Hi Nice Monkey!

I use UAPP mainly because it recognizes and initilizes my ext DAC correctly (not the case with MP6), plays DSD native as it bypasses Android.
    The UAPP version I purchased from Google play store shows 5.9.7
    I also purchased MQA plug-in - sold separately - and yes wanted to experiment with MQA - imho nothig remarkable, marginal audio difference.
    I use the Tidal version/functionality embeded in UAPP; the official Tidal app cannot play through my ext DAC .
    And of course, you can use my experience/posts to update the thread :)

13. Nice Monkey

Haha now I finally understand the UAPP difference with Hardware Volume control. You use an External USB DAC and not the Internal UHD3000 DAC (not supporting HW Volume control).

If you select USB Output in Zidoo setup for all audio output then the Tidal App is still not working either?

We agree about MQA it seems.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  14. CGI

CGI Member

Yes, my config is z1000pro->ext DAC->AVR analog in;
    The DAC has the option DSD Volume Bypass and it is on;
    And if I play a native DSD through the DAC and touch/pull the slider in UAPP different from max it results in a brumming sound - DAC cannot decode it;
    If I play PCM to the DAC - the slider works.

15. cyber201

cyber201 Member

My configuration is HUD3000 -> Internal DAC -> AVR analog in.
    With this configuration i can select only The Hardware Volume control. The other controls not work.
    I use the latest version of UAPP (5.9.9.1) with MQA license. When i play Tidal form this app, I see the USB DAC and MQA flag (watch my previous screenshot).
    Next i have tryed the Tidal APP. Sound is similar and when i play a Master Album, the APP show the label MASTER. I think that the app use the internal DAC, or not?
    Is there an option to see if i use the internal DAC or not?

For the best experience to navigate the internal APP of Tidal and UAPP, i use a Rii X8 Wireless Keyboard. It's amazing.

16. Nice Monkey

@cyber201
    Would you be so nice to remove your reply #6 to make space for expansion?
    Thanks in advance.

A new chapter DVD-Audio was added and some parts moved due to space restrictions per page.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  17. cyber201

cyber201 Member

Ok...no problem :)

18. Nice Monkey

Thanks. Put Chapters in sequence again with now some space for editing them too. ;)

19. cyber201

cyber201 Member

Sorry, one question.
    With the USB IN PORT of the Uhd3000, can i connect an external network player and process all music with the DAC of the Zidoo?
    Because i Need a smartphone friendly interface to manage the liquid music.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  20. Nice Monkey

That is its purpose. Works like a quality standalone USB DAC then. ;)
    The final reason for selling my standalone unit as it became a duplicate functionality.

I think in principle it could be used that way concurrently with Video/Music playback via HDMI but the current software setup does not allow it. A missed opportunity in my view. :(
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...-output-with-hdmi-video-music-playback.86922/

Using an External USB DAC with Z9X playing via UAPP I was able to play concurrently a Video /Music via HDMI on a single player. Using 2nd zone on my AMP I could even do that sharing also the same AMP. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021