Updated Preview: "Zidoo X" 4K UHD Hi End Media Player

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1296)' started by Nice Monkey, Sep 12, 2019.

1. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Also the “ X “available in Black to .

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Is that a question or a statement? I have no indication myself that it will be available in black too (yet).

3. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

statement . E006B33F-EE03-49F5-8FFC-85277A380D3C.png

4. Nice Monkey

Wow another surprise.

5. skelton

skelton Member

Yeah the black color was a nice surprise and i would personally go with that color. Was really hoping for two 3.5 bays which would have made this a no brainer upgrade for me. I guess i could get some sort of HDD enclosure and connect that via USB as an alternative.

Really tempted to upgrade from my X20 but i will wait for the first impressions and reviews before making my final decision.

Anyone else here thinking about upgrading from Z9S or X20?

6. zid2019

zid2019 Member

@zid2019 Apparently gave you the wrong answer. :oops:[/QUOTE]

Hi!So this thing is more exciting now.Any info about release date? Or just rumours?

7. skelton

skelton Member

8. Arch30n

Arch30n New Member

Please include second HDMI OUT for Audio only, not HDMI IN that is useless :)

gymnos likes this.
  9. Nice Monkey

Updated the original post with some RTD1619 specifications compared with RTD1296 used now.
    Except being faster the VP9 Profile 2 is now included for the much asked for Youtube 4K HDR.

@Tof78
    Also added my view to whom this player should appeal.

@Arch30n
    You are not expected to use HDMI Audio only out with this player but Analog Audio out instead.
    For music playback the TV typically won't be turned on at all.
    I would go then for the UHD2000 which addresses more that kind of setup.

HDMI-IN (including the APP) is a standard integral feature of the RTD1619/RTD1296/RTD1295 SOC/SDK and to be regarded as a freebee.
    Zidoo just adds a connector for it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    gymnos likes this.
  10. Nice Monkey

Added a new chapter:
    Some speculations on features and Zidoo strategy initiated with the new Zidoo X platform.

Lots of things which convince me things are going that way. I will make the new platform more expensive but also differentiates this product (line) from the slew of media players around. This even including the current RTD1296 based product line.

11. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Time will tell.

Zidoo should have used the size hifi standard, it's my opinion.

Zidoo will offer a high-end product (very expensive), people who will buy this type of product usually have a video rack or something similar

12. Nice Monkey

Tend to agree with you and the HDD bay accessible from the front not side. Should be even a dual bay (op top of each other). Should not be so difficult to change that as we are talking empty space in that current design area.

13. Arch30n

Arch30n New Member

False, a true Hi-End player like this MUST have a Second HDMI OUT Audio to connect to your AVR (and not to TV lol) for Movies Sound (DTS, DD, Atmos DTS-X, etc...) or SACD (First HDMI-OUT to your TV or Projector...)
    The Analog section must be plugged to your analog input of your HiFi Amplifier or AVR for Music ONLY. It's the advantage of this kind of unit (like OPPO, etc...) furthermore in this price range !

I know that the chip has built-in HDMI-IN, it's not mandatory that Zidoo put a HDMI-IN connector on this type of player... In a hi-end system I don't care about crappy App to record in foregound crappy TV channels, games... I rather prefer that they truly support HDR10+/DV...

14. Nice Monkey

Only valid for those having a previous generation Amplifier without 4K HDMI passthrough. Used a HDMI Main + HDMI Audio setup (Egreat A11) for some time but it was really not very user friendly for me in practice so upgraded my AMP to a new 4K capable model including Atmos too. A lot happier with that setup. If there is nothing else connected to the AMP it is not a problem, but I use my AMP as my main HDMI source switch as most do.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  15. Arch30n

Arch30n New Member

For me it's the opposite, I have a Marantz SR7013, a second HDMI-Out is missing for me on my Z9S, it will offer more combination to use (eg. specific profiles for each HDMI input on TV (ISF Movies, Games, TV...) that you can't do if all your players/consoles are connected to your AVR Input and then your TV) and less jitter...

snapo6 likes this.
  16. Nice Monkey

Yep valid point, motion taken. Everybody has a different mode of working and preferences. ;)
    Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  17. snapo6

snapo6 Member

Fully agree with Arch30n, must for 2 HDMI out (audio and video) and DV (have read somewhere that DV might be skipped).

With above items included I will be one of the early adopters.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  18. Nice Monkey

DV is a tricky subject next to going for certification and paying the license fees Dolby Laboratories is known to be picky to whom they grant their licences to.
    If they don't want to include you nothing can be done about it. Netflix, Prime are a bit different here it seems as they follow more strictly their policies about provisions in HW and SW (HDR, DRM and OS) to get certified.

We need to wait and see what happens here, but ISO reading with optionally playback of the DV 1080P stream on 4K HDR discs is not expected by me. All products offering it (with illegal CFW added) are being banned. Netflix with DV maybe but it would not surprise me if it is dropped.

19. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

snapo6 said:
    DV (have read somewhere that DV might be skipped).

hi,

this confirms why the new Dune rtd1619 does not have Dolby vision support in its specs....

20. zarathoestra

zarathoestra Active Member

Presumably we get more of the same , a flag ship with no DV support a lot bells and whistles and marketing tricks to lure you into the next best thing which is in my no upgrade worth . The X20pro can do basically the same but we have to wait and see of course