1. Dear Users, Happy New Year! In order to celebrate the traditional Chinese Spring Festival, Zidoo company is scheduled for a holiday from 18th Jan to 31st Jan. We will be back to work on 1st Feb. If there is urgent message, pls contact service@zidoo.tv Your understanding will be highly appreciated if our holiday brings you any inconveniences.We are looking forward to your support in the coming new year and hope you have have a happy and joyful time in 2020! Best regards, ZIDOO Team
    Dismiss Notice

Preview: "Zidoo X" 4K UHD Hi End Media Player

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1296)' started by Nice Monkey, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Also on display at the IFA Berlin exhibition in Germany is the "4K UHD Hi End Media Player". If one thinks it stops with the new UHD2000 then have a peak at this one.

It comes with a Cortex-A55 hexa (6) core processor specified:
    Realtek RTD1619 (= RTD1395 alike but including A55 CPU/GPU)
    XMOS+AKM 4497
    DSD512/PCM768KHz@32bit hardware decoding
    XLR/RCA preamp output
    6.35/4.4 headphone output
    Dolby Vision
    HDR10+
    Front panel 5 inch touch-screen

It looks like a nice platform for running KODI and/or gaming straight away.
    Specifications for Video Playback include the much asked for DV and HDR10+ specification. It ought to be then HDMI 2.1 bandwidth capable too in my view but this is nowhere mentioned.

It seems to be specifically meant for the Audiophiles though coming with a high-end DAC being build in. This time they went for the XMOS + AKM4497 chipset combination which also makes it an excellent DAC very close to the XMOS + ES9038 combination used for the UHD2000 model. Some may prefer the one or the other. It obviously includes the (same?) Linear PSU with it which seems to be excellent too.
    This time for the real Audiophile it includes a full functional front panel with a 5 inch display and a Headphone Amplifier and Trigger panel also being bundled. Also the main line outputs seems to be pré-amplified for straight input to any end amplifier.
    No need for a TV to be turned on or even a remote control, which for pure audio listening is the best condition. It also includes MQA support and expected support for popular audio streaming services.

It has no Internal or External SATA connections. So HDD via NAS or USB only. Unfortunately this does neither allow to attach a SATA Optical Drive for CD-Audio playback like the UHD2000 supports, but a USB3 Optical Drive should work by now. Using this unit for physical CD-Audio playback too should appeal to many. Prefer a SATA drive myself as these are front loaders which can be stacked and a lot cheaper to get.

A real big difference with UHD2000 would be DSD output via HDMI. The more powerful 6-core CPU should potentially be able to output even MCH DSD for multi-channel sound. With that being supported it would make it a true SACD capable music player and would buy it myself straight away.

I truly hope they made a deal with an existing quality source for the matching Music Player APP. The streaming services landscape just changes too quick to keep up with via inhouse development.

The front panel screen is actually a 5 inch touch-control screen making many APP's designed for smartphones controllable via the screen directly. Crucial to potentially make some excellent Music Players with USB DAC support designed for smartphones run perfectly on this media player.
    Anyway touch control works a lot more user friendly for most APP's than using clumsy front panel buttons.

Looking at the Inside Picture it appears also to include a 3.5 inch HDD bay with access on the right side, which is new for me. The HDD opening can also be seen on the facebook picture. I am just not very sure yet if it is meant for fixed mounting or if it is swappable?

Nice box for sure and it once more confirms the direction Zidoo is moving in.
    A remark I have from the start is that there are more people with Black Audio chains than Silver these days. So having Black and Silver versions seems to be a real must.

It is announced for june 2020 but may take a full year to get it all stable again as it has a new CPU/GPU, RTD chip and also a new Android 9 base. That are a lot of changes in one go.
    I doubt this will soon all come to cheaper platforms too. Zidoo is clearly gearing up making their customers pay for the more advanced stuff including DV and HDR10+. Who is to blame them on such a strategy?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    skelton and gymnos like this.
  2. Nice Monkey

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  3. Tof78

Tof78 New Member

That's a terrific device.
    But guys at Zidoo, I guess you aren't a big company? So please focus on the software or work with an external vendor. Music Player 5.0 is just a nightmare. You can't attract audiophile with your terrible (and I want to stay polite...) player. While these guys are using Audirvana, Roon, Volumio and others apps that have all the basic features your software is totally missing.
    Come on!

4. Nice Monkey

I tend to agree with you. This is a much more demanding clientele. :D

5. zarathoestra

zarathoestra Member

Thanks for the link , it looks very promising and probably at a high end price. Hopefully zidoo makes a more affordable model with the same chip so we can enjoy all the latest video standards.
    Yup a fan but a critical one ! Grtz

6. Hola
    esto.es.un nuevo reproductor.multimedia ??
    tendra mapeo dinamico hdr10+?

7. Nice Monkey

8. manifesto1969

manifesto1969 Member

What I want more than anything is Forced Subtitles to work.....will this chip be able to do this basic requirement?

9. gymnos

gymnos Member

The hardware and specifications are awesome, but Zidoo team must improve the software development and leave behind RTD1296 issues.

Regards.

10. Nice Monkey

I understand from Zidoo that it is supported also by the current RTD1296 chipset. They just thought it was not needed for BD just for MKV sources.
    The most recent FW should work with MKV forced subtitles.

11. LarryZ

LarryZ New Member

The forced subtitles are still a problem.

12. skelton

skelton Member

Would be nice if this had dynamic tone mapping for HDR content. I might upgrade my X20 if the improvements are worth it. Dolby Vision alone is not enough for me but let’s see when the first reviews come out if it will be worth it.

Love the design of the player!

13. myzidoo

myzidoo Member

...when this comes out : one sold already...

14. skelton

skelton Member

Does anyone have the dimensions of this player?

15. zid2019

zid2019 Member

Zidoo X comes with internal HDD or just stream media?

16. Nice Monkey

It will act as a media player and streamer, but has no Internal or External SATA connections. So HDD via NAS or USB only. Unfortunately this does neither allow to attach a SATA Optical Drive for CD-Audio playback only USB3 Optical drives.
    It is primarily intended as a very advanced Music/Audio Player. UHD2000 is positioned as the truly combined player.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    gymnos likes this.
  17. gymnos

gymnos Member

Yes, another reason is that the Zidoo X doesn´t have a secondary HDMI Out for audio only.

18. Leo

Leo New Member

But NOT for the Dutch subtitle scraper (Opensubtitle.org)
    Can you please integrate this for the Dutch users.

19. manifesto1969

manifesto1969 Member

For me to pay a premium price there has to be Forced Subtitles working for iso and mkv files for both 2D and 3D movies - if it has that then I'll defo buy it.

20. Nice Monkey

Updated the original post with an inside picture. This time coming with a real surprise! :cool:

Looking at this Inside Picture it appears also to include a 3.5 inch HDD bay with access on the right side, which is totally new for me. :p
    The HDD opening can also clearly be seen on the added facebook picture. I am just not very sure yet if it is meant for fixed mounting or if it is swappable?

@zid2019 Apparently gave you the wrong answer. :oops: