Practical-experiences using the UHD3000

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Mentor27

Mentor27 Member

Welcome
    I have a problem of this nature that after connecting to the uhd3000 with a USB to DAC cable from the rear USB 3.0 output, I heard music quality that I had not been able to get from this device until now. But there is a problem that I would like to confirm whether you also have it. Namely, when playing via the DAC via USB, after returning to playback via the HDMI port, there is no sound. it appears only after removing the usb cable from the DAC. then everything returns to normal. switching between Hdmi and internal player without USB plugged in DAC works properly. I would like to keep the connection via the cable because the sound is much nicer ... will someone tell you how it is, maybe I have a broken Xmos or something ..

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

@Mentor27 @mirror
    First I would like to understand well what you are doing exactly. You set audio output to USB and next via an USB cable you connect the USB3 output of UHD3000 to the USB DAC input port of that same UHD3000 with source set to USB DAC. Is that correct? You do this because the sound is better that way than using the Audio output set to DAC Internal Source.

I frankly never tried this. I can explain a sound difference only if the XMOS clock stabilizing is not used when Internal Source is selected. This would be a design flaw. It for sure is used via USB and with XU216 (Neo X) also for SPDIF Coax output.
    In the past enabling USB Audio output On/Off required even a boot. Changing the setup described above would not only require changing Audio Output from DAC USB Input to HDMI but also toggling USB output to OFF (it doesn't do that automatically as the player still sees an External DAC via USB in this case in fact being its own Internal DAC.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  3. Mentor27

Mentor27 Member

You understood me so well. I was a bit afraid to connect in this way, but this connection works and the sound was confirmed by several of my colleagues with a clear improvement. Tonight I checked how it works connected to the Shield from its Usb output to the DAC and it is much ... much worse. With this connection, everything switches properly. Then switching between internal player, USB input and Hdmi (read DAC off) works fine. So the conclusion: I DISCONNECTED THE USB CABLES FROM UHD3000 AND I WILL NOT HOOK IT THIS WAY BECAUSE IT BLOCKS THE SOUND THROUGH HDMI .... Well, the sound is a bit worse, but the convenience of use. And let's not break the devices. Regards and thanks for the answer.

4. TommyC123

TommyC123 New Member

What External USB DAC are you using if you don't mind me asking?

5. Mentor27

Mentor27 Member

I connected the USB A in the uhd3000 with a cable to the Usb B input in the same uhd3000 - it will sound better, but this USB cable in it causes no sound on the HDMI outputs, of course, after switching to HDMI mode.

6. Nice Monkey

Thanks for confirming. No there is no risk breaking the device it is a configurable mode of operation just not an obvious one.
    It is curious that it sound better that way. I read before that using DAC USB Input is better than using DAC Internal input. You are not the first one to compare that, but you are the first one doing that using a single device.

You tried forcing USB Audio output setting it to OFF with the cable in place? Will anyway try this myself.

7. Mentor27

Mentor27 Member

Yes, I tried, but it does not help .. try it, then maybe someone will find a solution by accident with you .. Greetings

8. Nice Monkey

@mirror I really expect Zidoo to shed a light on this. It is not a small thing.

Mentor27 likes this.
  9. Mentor27

Mentor27 Member

Coming back to the topic of DAC.

Maybe the sound switching problem is caused by using the UAPP PRO application - because I did not write it. I play music using this application. Maybe it is that after connecting UAPP PRO with Uhd3000 DAC, it is not disconnected automatically after closing
    music app (2 clicks back) and we still have blocked HDMI port.

I consider myself at work - greetings ...

10. Mentor27

Mentor27 Member

Browsing the internet today, I found the zidoo manual as in the attached file.

Do you have a DAC settings tab like in this book - because I only have 3 given values:

turn off the DAC

internal player

USB port

1. Source In

Disable DAC: HDMI audio and DAC audio cannot be played at the same time, when the DAC is disabled, it will be output via HDMI.

Internal player: decoded by internal DAC in Zidoo media player, it is analog output.

Coaxial USB AES / EBU Bluetooth input: external audio output, switch to the appropriate audio source as it should.

Note: the digital port will be disabled when it is analog output.

1.1 UHD3000 source input

[​IMG]

sorry for my language, but i know english very little - everything is translated by google

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  11. Nice Monkey

The display above belongs to Neo X and not UHD3000. ;)
    So yes I know that one but using that other player with more input ports. :p

Yes UAPP will keep the USB mode. That is normal. Try using MP6.

12. Mentor27

Mentor27 Member

Hi
    The investigation of the uhd3000 and its ability to play music via USB (XMOS) or internal player continues.

This is how I connected the USB (A) output to the USB (B) -XMOS input and compared the sound ... it turns out better by connecting a USB to USB cable as described, than sending music directly from the internal player.

Recently I installed the new HIBY MUSIK application and it turns out that when I play music after XMOS it has 32bit and only 16bit from the internal player! ???

This is probably the answer .. But can anyone who uses an external DAC confirm my observations - please post on the forum. Regards.

Attached Files:

13. Nice Monkey

@Mentor27
    I would prefer this comparison using native PCM formats not MQA. MQA is a tricky thing with rendering to different formats.
    32-bits does not really exist for playback. Even true 24-bit is a challenge for any DAC.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  14. Mentor27

Mentor27 Member

15. Mentor27

Mentor27 Member

Hello! In the new firmware v6.3.50 the sound from the internal DAC output sound is as good as via USB (connected to the same uhd3000) no need to combine with a cable !!!! (see my previous entries). Even when playing by Hiby Music in decoding, the given bit depth is 32 bits and not 16 bits as before.

1GTRBG likes this.
  16. Nice Monkey

OK. So they really read my complex story. Did not get a formal reply yet, but is very good news. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Will do some comparison with Neo X again.

I am now very curious to get that answer. ;)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    Mentor27 likes this.
  17. 1GTRBG

1GTRBG Member

Great news, will give it a try these days:)

Nice Monkey likes this.
  18. Nice Monkey

Would appreciate that! Please share the result with us.

19. 1GTRBG

1GTRBG Member

Hi,
    I haven't used UAPP in a long time. Today I reinstalled the application and after the necessary settings I played music that I know well and listen to constantly. At first the volume was very low - after 2-3 restarts of the application everything fell into place. Now the sound is really good - I still can't judge if it's better than MP6. I will listen for a few days and give feedback again.
    I want to note that my uhd3000 is tuned by Authentic Cinema - Germany and I can't compare it to the standard player. The sound is really amazing - wide stage and tight bass. I think it's a lot better than my previous DAC - Oppo Sonica DAC

By the way today I installed the latest firmwear .50

Mentor27 likes this.
  20. Mentor27

Mentor27 Member

For me, the quality of the quality is also on the MP6 and that's a big ..... it's nice to listen to this equipment now.
    Thank you for joining us in assessing the quality of the Uhd3000 audio track.
    There are more details and details great for me. Now just improve the Multi Chanel after HDMI and it will be very good.