Practical-experiences using the UHD3000

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Feb 15, 2021.

1. zarathoestra

zarathoestra Active Member

I was one of those testers he send me the files too. Setup was with samsung Q70r 5.1.4 soundbar, Sony XH 9505H Zidoo pro , Dune pro II and a zidoo pro 20 . None of them were reproducing LPCM 5.1 sound just 3.1 with oppo clone no issues at all. For the mkv file video with H.264 60 only the oppo clone reproduce it without stutter. I tried it with the sennheiser ambeo in the chain , a samsung Q90r difficult to hear with no sperate channels but probably the same with just frontal sound and with oppo clone more spaces sound.

2. Zidixx

Zidixx Member

Hi Nice Monkey. I don't want to run my 3xHDDs as a RAID, but individually visible, directly on my Zidoo. Is that possible, or do I have to take single or JBOD? As you may have noticed, I don't know that much about this technique. I bought the 4-way Icy Box with the hope that I can plug it into the Zidoo directly via USB3.0 and that all hard drives will be displayed individually in the media center. Is that possible? This Icy Box is about: ICY BOX 4-way external hard drive enclosure for 3.5 inch SATA I, II, III hard drives, USB 3.0 (UASP) & eSATA connection, 80 mm smart fan, JBOD (single mode), standby, black https: // www. amazon.de/dp/B009DH5Q2S/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_glt_i_VPBNWAKB9E9M99988VGZ

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Both Fantec and ICY Box make models with individual drive access and with Raid support via USB3. Your choice. I am not a fan of RAID as it is far to inflexible for me.

Using Icy Box IB-3805-c31 myself which is far from cheap but it even has individual power buttons per drive. Individual HDD hot swaps with Zidoo work perfect.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  4. Zidixx

Zidixx Member

Hi Nice Monkey. You said that you connected an external hard drive enclosure from Icy Box to the Zidoo Z9X. Is it this case? (https://www.amazon.de/IB-564SSK-Bac...938801-4954617?pd_rd_w=L9MCZ&pf_rd_p=b9e2e0e0 -bf64-75121e223c50 & pf_rd_r = KGCB63FA068HN1PX6Z1C & pd_rd_r = e5cf6bb1-dd0d-409b-b32a-b3c52a228322 & pd_rd_wg = 6MgcD & pd_rd_i = 1).
    Do you connect your hard drives to the Zidoo box with these cables? (https://www.apfelkiste.ch/festplatt...MIi5uqssqP8QIVGPhRCh1ciQh6EAQYAyABEgJotfD_BwE).

5. Nice Monkey

It's twice no.
    The model pointed to by you is meant for build into a PC.
    Have done that too but from another brand.

I use the 5-slot ICY Box model IB-3805-c3 with individual power switches per port.

I use a standard USB3 cable with an USB3c connector at the Icy Box end.

6. Zidixx

Zidixx Member

Ok, thank you

7. Zidixx

Zidixx Member

8. Zidixx

Zidixx Member

steveroberts5019 or someone else. See differences in image quality, sharpness, contrast, etc. between the two players, the X20 and UHD3000 ?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  9. zarathoestra

Very little ,maybe a bit sharper, the uhd 3000 mainly focusses on the audio part of the player witch is each to his own very subjective. i should wait till august if they release any new player and then bite the bullet . uhd 3000 is overpriced just like the x20 pro i own for what it does.

10. Zidixx

Zidixx Member

Thank you, good to know.

zarathoestra likes this.
  11. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

I have a question regarding the HDMI ports of the UHD3000. I see that it has two HDMI outputs and basically it's the only Zidoo unit with dual HDMI outputs. One main and one only for audio.

My question is can it output Dolby Atmos and DTS:X audio through both HDMI ports at the same time? Or audio can be output from only one of the ports at a time?

12. zarathoestra

If it is like you state then it's only video and audio go through main port (video connection) if you chose the dual route it is video main port and D.Atmos or Dts-x through the audio connection = hdmi 2 . You can not put the audio formats through the video connection alone.

13. Nice Monkey

Maybe valid for X20 Pro but the UHD3000 has an excellent sound/money ratio.
    The X20 Pro never really appealed to me but UHD2000 was a lot better already and even tried it myself for a couple of weeks.

You won't like the Neo X then as it will be likely far above UHD3000 in price.

Updated the review with FW 6.3.12 changes for the Music Player part.

14. zarathoestra

15. Nice Monkey

Dune Max Vision has almost the same DAC panel design as your X20 Pro. It only has an extra chip to get native DSD output via the DAC working.
    So cheaper yes; better Price/Quality no, but better than X20 Pro was. Nothing wrong with the price itself for me it is spot-on.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  16. tugar

tugar New Member

Hello Nice Monkey, that's a great review on this unit. I just bought one and waiting for delivery!

I heard there are issues with some mkv playback on this unit, has anyone had any issues with it still?

thanks

17. Nice Monkey

MKV is an universal container. Most likely there is always somebody having troubles with a specific video in that format.
    As I hardly use them, I can't tell.

Enjoy your new player. ;)

18. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I have a UHD3000 and all my files are MKV, no problems with any of them. For me MKV is my preferred container. The only problem I'm having at the moment is with the details scraper tinymedia Manager and with one title only! It will populate everything except the actors and directors info. Naming is correct. Still getting my head around this scraper.

19. tugar

tugar New Member

Agreed, it's just a container, garbage in.. garbage out....

I have lots of mkv files on a syn NAS so will be interesting to try. My current player is a vero4k+ and madvr htpc so very interested in how this zidoo performs!

One question, with the zidoo, does the UHD3000 have a source direct pass thru mode so that my lumagen can do all the tone mapping and scaling?

Yup i use exactly the same tool for organizing my movie collection. When it works it's great and when it doesn't its quite annoying especially for things like BBC documentaries... they get split up. It's been a while since I've used an updated version. Hopefully there is some improvement.

20. Zidixx

Zidixx Member

tugar said:
    One question, with the zidoo, does the UHD3000 have a source direct pass thru mode so that my lumagen can do all the tone mapping and scaling?

Yes, that would interest me too.