Practical-experiences using the UHD3000

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Feb 15, 2021.

1. djdreggs

djdreggs New Member

Thx! So, the icy box cannot be connected with an ethernet cable itself. So it needs to be placed fairly close by i presume. How about fan and disc noise then? Noticable say during watching a movie? O, and a thing about the Dune hd ultra vision 4k; in the specs of the Zidoo uhd3000 it says that it can produce 12bit colordepth. Probably because of the Dolby Vision engine? In the specs of the Dune it is not mentioned seperately from the stated 10bit capability. While the Dune also has Dolby Vision. So is the Zidoo the better there? Or is it just not mentioned for the Dune?

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Yes the noise of Icy Box is the only disadvantage of that unit. For movies not really a problem but for music it can be. USB-3 cables of 10m are not a problem.
    I do by habit power off all drives not used and then using a 2.5 inch HDD with an adapter for music it works fine.
    It is mostly the drives noise with that box not the smart fan. On my 10-slot unit (not used right now anymore) I added controllers for both the housing and PSU fans myself.

For Video format support including DV and video quality they are identical. Just the players functions are somewhat different.
    Zidoo is the Swiss Army knive and Dune the stable work horse with excellent BD Menu support.

3. djdreggs

djdreggs New Member

I ordered the Icy Box ;-). Comes in today. So, when I connect it to my iMac 27" via Thunderbolt 3; will the discs in the icy box be seen on my network by my media player (it is an Great A11 at the moment, still deciding uhd3000 of ultra vision 4K....), and could I play f.i. 4k movies via the iGreat from those discs? O, and something else; In another forum you mention the Dune Ultra vision 4K and stated that it must be able to handle MQA because of the same XMOS as in the Zidoo UHD3000. Why isn't Dune mentioning this itself that it is MQA capable? I can find it nowhere in their specs on the internet.

4. Nice Monkey

@djdreggs
    No thunderbolt on Icy Box just USB3!

NFS and SMB do work but also direct USB3 Connections. I do use a 4-port USB3 Switch (reverse of a Hub) for that.

Dune Ultra HW is MQA capable but if the FW supports it too is something entirely different. No idea of their policy.

Small detail: Tomorrow I will swap my UHD3000 for a Dune HD Max Vision. Will stay with my Neo X and Neo Alpha.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  5. djdreggs

djdreggs New Member

not the dune ultra vision instead of the max vision? What is your usage preferences concerning audio/video then; de zidoouhd3000/dune max vision as media player mainly for movies, and the neo X, neo alpha more audiophile music, MCH? Or does it have to do with multiple places in your house so you need more than one machine?

6. djdreggs

djdreggs New Member

and why the swap from zidoo to dune? Is it the BD menu and playability? zidoo still too buggy? Of just a personal preference?

7. Nice Monkey

The Dune is my new back out for ISO's with BD Menu problems mainly. In my living and bedroom use Zidoo Neo players with great pleasure.

BD Menu is at the same state as lets say 5 years ago for RTD1295 based Zidoo players.
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...ms-upto-fw-v6-4-20-no-feature-requests.84836/
    For all other features there has been tremendous progress. For Streaming Video services I do prefer my powered by Android TV.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  8. djdreggs

djdreggs New Member

Nice. Enjoy!

ok, when we just look at a good mediaplayer for watching 4k movies in DV or HDR+ with good sound and menu's etc.
    And use the XLR-l/R output for nice 2-channel audio via a sound processor (i have a Yamaha CX-A5200 with ES9026 PRO x 2 dac's) and MCH via passthrough of ripped sand's iso's;
    what would you choose; the Zidoo uhd3000 or the dune hd Ultra Vision 4K?

9. Nice Monkey

It is off-topic on this forum. We can discuss this here:
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/gu...ct-dune-oppo-clone-zappiti-and-zidoo.2395791/

dr4go likes this.
  10. djdreggs

djdreggs New Member

ok. thx!